POTATO HACKING THIS WEEK :)

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

POTATO HACKING THIS WEEK :)

Postby basilleaf :) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board :)
I'm going to be doing the potato hack (Mary's Mini) for a week, thought I would start a new thread seeing as the other one is kinda dated now :P
Started this morning with 4 small baked potatoes and half a banana (I know it's sorta cheating but I bought bananas and I don't want to waste them!)
Anyone else out there wanna join in?
Would be cool to have a little hacking community :)
Will post what I eat everyday (well will try anyway) so stick around and join in!

My weight this morning was 11st 9lb.
Goal weight by the end of the week 11st 5lb.
I think that's a reasonable goal....

(I posted this yesterday in The Lounge and I was kindly told that it would probably be better off in here :) )
basilleaf :)

Day 1

Postby basilleaf :) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Day one went really well, I ate when ever I was hungry, tried my best not to break any rules and I think I did well :)
I had one killer head ache and nausea in the evening but I think I may have picked up some kinda bug (had some green snot eww...)
So I don't think it had anything to do with the hack.
Feel a hundred times better this morning after a good nights sleep so am looking forward to another day of hacking :)

Day 1 menu (and probably the menu of the entire hack haha)
Breakfast: 1/2 banana and 4 small baked potatoes with a pinch of salt
Lunch: 2 large potatoes cut into slices and boiled (I LOVE this)
Afternoon tea: 2 large potatoes cut into slices and boiled
Dinner: 1 large potato mashed and a serving of the thai veg curry from the forks over knives website.
Snacks: Some grapes- probably 2 handfuls

Note on the dinner: Yeah okay this is probably not 'allowed' but ya know what I'm sticking with it 'cause it's packed full of nutrients and tastes AMAZING!

I weighed in this morning and I have lost... drum roll please... 2 lbs!
Super happy with that, may it keep falling off :)
6 more days to go, do you think you could hack it? (get it, hack it, potato hack... :nod: )

Re: POTATO HACKING THIS WEEK :)

Postby MINNIE » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:35 am

For those who might be unfamiliar with it, here is a description of Mary's Mini:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm

It looks like your bit of curry is within the rules, as long as you are eating mostly starch. This actually sounds like fun, as I looove potatoes. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I've never tried a whole week of just one starch and I'm curious about what the effect would be (if any). Maybe the next time someone does one of these.... :) .
MINNIE

Postby basilleaf :) » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Well MINNIE I'll be here all week so maybe you'll join in for the weekend...?
I've been doing it for only 2 days now, and I have not had any new acne!
This is amazing for me as I've suffered from acne for about 6 years with no sign of it really ever fixing itself, so I am amazed :)
I'm sure there are heaps more benefits other than clear skin and weight loss so it'd be cool if you joined in and told us all how you felt ;)

Thanks for the info by the way, it's good to know I'm not breaking the rules, this is more flexible than I thought it was :D

Day 2

Postby basilleaf :) » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi anyone and everyone,
Day two went well, I'm feeling great and like I said to Minnie I haven't had any breakouts!

Here's the menu (yesterdays eating was really unorganised so this is a bit of a guestimate) :
Breakfast: 1 1/2 large baked potatoes
Lunch: 1/2 large baked potato + 1 large orange kumera (sweet potato)
Snack: Grapes, more baked potato
Dinner: 1 large potato mashed with a large serving of steamed peas and corn (oh man was this amazing!) and 1/2 a large potato mashed with a good serving of thai veg curry with nooch :P

And I weighed in again this morning, and I have... lost another lb!
So 3 lbs off so far, only one more lb to reach my goal :)

Anyone think they will join in for the weekend? So far for my two days I am feeling great and loosing weight, sound appealing to you too? Join in :-D

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi Basilleaf,

Congratulations -- great progress so far! You make this sound like so much fun! I am game to join for Saturday and Sunday. I have stocked up on potatoes.
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby basilleaf :) » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:21 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Basilleaf,

Congratulations -- great progress so far! You make this sound like so much fun! I am game to join for Saturday and Sunday. I have stocked up on potatoes.

It is super fun and easy! So sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, had a crazy busy Saturday! :duh:
And now that the weekend is almost over, how did you get on?

Day 3 + 4

Postby basilleaf :) » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Okay so I never posted yesterday, sorry anyone that was interested.
I lost 1 lb! So I have reached my goal of 4 lb, in just 3 days! :)
I didn't loose any more weight today, but that's okay up to day 5 and 4 lb lighter, pretty stoked :P
So the menu for yesterday and the day before were along the same lines so I'm just gonna list approx what I ate and when :D

Breakfast: 2 large baked potatoes 1/2 banana
Lunch: 2 large baked potatoes and 1 purple kumera (I think you call these Japanese sweet potatoes in the U.S)
Dinner: 1/2 large potato mashed with maybe 1/2 cup of peas and corn and 1/2 large mashed potato with thai veg curry.
Snacks: Few grapes and some more pieces of baked potato.

So that's pretty much all I have been eating and that's what I intend to eat today as well :)
It may not sound exciting but I can promise you I am enjoying every bite :D

Have a relaxing Sunday and hope your weekend is going well everyone :)
Last edited by basilleaf :) on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Awesome, Basil!!

I had fun with the potato hack today!

B: Potatoes in veggie broth (with tomato and onion), orange
L: Baked potatoes with salsa and a bowl of berries
D: Potato fries (boy my son was happy !!) with an apple

I will give it another go tomorrow! May be a similar menu!! :cool:
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby basilleaf :) » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:48 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Awesome, Basil!!

I had fun with the potato hack today!

B: Potatoes in veggie broth (with tomato and onion), orange
L: Baked potatoes with salsa and a bowl of berries
D: Potato fries (boy my son was happy !!) with an apple

I will give it another go tomorrow! May be a similar menu!! :cool:

Oh I just realised that your weekend has only really started :oops:
I'm in NZ so it's now the end of Sunday for me :lol:
Your menu is so much more inventive than mine haha, sounds delish :)

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Basil!!

Your menu sounds great! How is the hack going???

I had leftover baked potato fries for breakfast and potato stew for lunch. Dinner will probably be another baked potato... (a couple of them)...

Great idea to do a hack and so much fun!!

Waving to you all of the way from the States!! :D
VegSeekingFit

Postby basilleaf :) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:40 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Basil!!

Your menu sounds great! How is the hack going???

I had leftover baked potato fries for breakfast and potato stew for lunch. Dinner will probably be another baked potato... (a couple of them)...

Great idea to do a hack and so much fun!!

Waving to you all of the way from the States!! :D

It is fun and easy!
Today I sorta broke the rules, I went out and had a delicious soy hot chocolate and baked agria wedges with tomato sauce :)
I think I did pretty well though since I still had no oil so really it was just the cuppa that was not okay for the hack, but meh it was totally worth it :nod:
I'm glad that your doing well.
Kia kaha VegSeekingFit! :-D

Day 5

Postby basilleaf :) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:46 am

Day five was good, no more weight loss though :( no weight gain either though so I suppose I shouldn't complain.
I ate constantly through out the day with no sort of meal times except dinner.
What I did was in the morning I put on all the potatoes I would want to eat in a day in the oven to bake, and then ate a banana while I waited for crunchy golden perfection :-D

So I ate approx. 4 large potatoes and 1 1/2 large kumera (sweet potato)
And then dinner was 1 potato mashed with a serving of thai veg curry.

Hope someone has enjoyed reading this and hopefully this has inspired others to give it a try :)

Postby Nean » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Glad you are enjoying your hack. How's your skin doing?
I have 8 days until my 13 days of vacation starts - so about a week to get closer to what I want and then 13 days for really clean eating - hoping to get back to the good old days of being a craving conquering content plant based eater.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby basilleaf :) » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:11 am

Nean wrote:Glad you are enjoying your hack. How's your skin doing?
I have 8 days until my 13 days of vacation starts - so about a week to get closer to what I want and then 13 days for really clean eating - hoping to get back to the good old days of being a craving conquering content plant based eater.

You Go Nean!
My skin is still doing pretty well (check out my most recent update for more info) and I think it is definitely the oil in my diet that breaks me out :oops:
A potato hack is a super easy way to start off a cleanse if you ask me, I went from biscuits and chocolate one day to potatoes the next and had no cravings :)
Which is something I have never experienced before :| but is totally awesome :nod:
I wish you all the best and would love to hear about what you get to eating in your 13 days of cleaning eating :)

Have a good one :D

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program