farro

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

farro

Postby grannylut » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:56 am

I just discovered this grain. Is it allowed?
grannylut

Re: farro

Postby kimba » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:57 am

Yes. You can bake it like brown rice. I was just looking for my recipe for it, but could not find it. Google it and you should be able to find one. I like it better than brown rice myself.
kimba

Postby MINNIE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:03 am

I have noticed that many grocery stores have quick-cooking (10 minutes) packets of farro. It's the whole grain, bu partially precooked. If you don't see it, ask because they may have it in the ethnic or organic foods sections. This is Trader Joe's version, but generic supermarkets have the same thing under different brand names:

http://traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/928

I have also made it in a rice cooker or Instant Pot. It's very tasty and filling.
MINNIE

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:31 am

I just made a mixed grain pot with 1.5 cups of brown short-grain rice and .5 cup farro. I rinsed the grains, presoaked it in 2.5 cups of water for a few hours, and then brought it to the boil, covered, and simmered until the water was gone (about 20 minutes).

EXCELLENT. :)

I've made this type of mixed grain before, usually with the same amount of rice and .5 cup barley. Also excellent.

An added benefit is that since rice is usually so much less expensive than these beautiful, unusual specialty grains that we can enjoy the taste of the farro, barley etc. at a lower price per meal. <-- frugality is my style.
PeripateticDanielle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program