Humbly asking for encouragement....again.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Humbly asking for encouragement....again.

Postby auntemmy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:25 am

I've been hanging around here forever it seems. Years and years of back and forth. I've been plant-based pretty much since the end of December 2014. Not perfect, but striving for it. I am firmly convinced that this is the most healthful way to eat and I'm not ever going back to SAD. However, lots of (unhealthy) things still sneak into my eating plan. My husband isn't plant-based but is very supportive. I'm asking for help to follow MWL until I can lose some weight. I have 50lbs minimum to lose. I seem to be a slow slow loser and I know that deviating from the plan sets me back immediately. I have been following the regular McDougall program and while I feel much better, my weight has barely budged in all these months.

Help! Thanking you in advance....
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Re: Humbly asking for encouragement....again.

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 am

Once we get a few victories then it gets easier. It is too easy for me to have "just a bite".

Don't think of MWL as a diet or just doing it until you drop 50 pounds. The MWL plan is a very solid every day way of eating that makes sense. Eat TSS once in a while, but limit those items that slow you down.

Keep you meals simple, centered around a whole food starch.

You can do this!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby auntemmy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks for your reply John! You're absolutely right, diet mentality isn't helpful at all. Trying to MWL in the past wasn't so hard for me to maintain. I had a 'rule' that one meal a week I could eat something from the regular plan, like Pasta or tofu scramble. I was thinking a lot yesterday about eating simply and not with so much variety. This was possible by not eating for pleasure but for appetite. I know from experience that oatmeal (not my favorite) tastes good when I'm truly hungry. My plan is to base my meals around potatoes or brown rice, and vegetables with fat free condiments. Thank you again for taking the time to talk with me, very much appreciated!
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
auntemmy

Postby MINNIE » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:03 pm

The MWL plan is a very solid every day way of eating that makes sense.

I agree. When I started, I didn't need to lose weight. I decided to eat this way for digestive health and to reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. I eat pretty much the MWL way all the time. I do it because it is statisfactory for me, and it's easy to follow. I don't crave the higher-fat foods any more.

My cravings now are for the healthful starches which are what I ought to be eating anyway :).

Why not try MWL for a month, and see what happens. It will probably become so easy and automatic that you won't even have to think about it anymore.
MINNIE

Postby Kristopia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi - welcome back. :) I'm new to this, and decided that the way to make this work for me as as you said - very little variety. I'm keeping it simple by keeping primarily to potatoes. An apple on occasion, some green veggies and/or cauliflower on occasion - but mostly potatoes. It feels much easier to me than having a variety of starches. I give myself one day a week (because I know me) to have more variety, but mostly just because I know me, and I know if I didn't have that allowance, I'd want to cheat or binge. I'm not even taking the allowance - just knowing it's there if I feel "out of control" is good enough.

Just to say, I"m with you, and I know we can both do it! (incidentally, I have at least 50 (probably more like 75) to lose as well.
Kristopia

Postby auntemmy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Minnie and Kristopia! Thank you for your input!

Definitely gonna give MWL a chance! I too know myself and allowing a meal of regular McDougall foods once a week will help me stay focused and on track.

I also have two days of exercise behind me this week, looking to physically feel fit on the outside. I know WFPB will clean up my insides.

I'm joining the MWL September weigh in group if I can find them

Taking it one (meal) day at a time!!
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
auntemmy

Postby DWu » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Hey auntemmy,

Welcome back. If you haven't already done so, reading these articles may help in your journey.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ushing.htm

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... nsity.html
DWu

Postby grannylut » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:02 am

Aunt Emmy
I feel like we are related. I am grannylut and one of my greandchidren is Emmy.
Aside from that I so identify with your post. I have been back and forth to this program but know it's the best. You have my support.
grannylut

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program