please help with travel foods

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

please help with travel foods

Postby chewy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:54 pm

i will be staying at cabin for 3 nights with people who don't eat like us at all.the cabin will have a microwave.what foods shall i take that require minimal preparation?i am thinking breakfast-chopped apple ,blueberries,lunch bag of mixed salad greens with some canned chickpeas on top.dinner,more salad,raw veg(cucumber,carrot,tomato) and microwaved baked potato.any other ideas for me?
chewy

Re: please help with travel foods

Postby Vegankit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 pm

I know to some people this is weird, but I like to have sweet potatoes for breakfast - you can store the potatoes at room temp and microwave them just before eating.

When traveling by plane I often pack old fashioned rolled oats. Again it's stored at room temp, very light and easy to pack. I just add water and a little sweetener. DH adds cinnamon - and if you have fruit you can cut some up to jazz up your oatmeal.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:37 pm

I just got home from two nights in a hotel visiting friends. I had a microwave and small fridge. I ate oatmeal and raisins with water, not cooked (plastic bowl, didn't want to heat it up!) and microwaved Yukon Gold and sweet potatoes. Bananas and apples. Toasted some corn tortillas at home, spread with my favorite nacho cheese stuff and topped with leaves of lettuce. Microwave popcorn for snacks.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Prepare foods ahead of time and pack an ice chest. Three days isn't that long, so you can bring plenty of good stuff. Try to bring something to share, so folks can see that this food is good. Be sure to have enough starch, so you won't be tempted by what everybody else is eating!

Vegankit wrote:I know to some people this is weird, but I like to have sweet potatoes for breakfast - you can store the potatoes at room temp and microwave them just before eating.

Not weird at all. That is my traditional pre-race breakfast. Since I usually have to get up super early and drive for awhile, I munch on cold cooked sweet potatoes as I drive. They're good with "sweet" spices like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, or savory with chili and lime.

When traveling by plane I often pack old fashioned rolled oats. Again it's stored at room temp, very light and easy to pack. I just add water and a little sweetener. DH adds cinnamon - and if you have fruit you can cut some up to jazz up your oatmeal.

My daily breakfast is oats that I simply pour boiling water from the tea kettle on and cover while drinking tea.
vgpedlr

Postby MINNIE » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:22 am

I second, or third the motion for rolled OATS! I never travel without them.

Some good reasons oats are a perfect travel food: lightweight, won't spoil(if you keep them dry), can be eaten with plain water if necessary, cooked or uncooked, they are filling, taste good, cheap and nutritious. Go OATS!

I also take sweet potatoes and potatoes. I love either one for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, or a snack. Go TUBERS!

:D
MINNIE

Postby Gershon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:36 am

You could buy a 2 burner Coleman stove or the equivalent and eat what you eat at home minus anything done in the oven. (Don't use the stove inside or you may only need one day of food.)
Gershon

Postby Kadje » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Gershon wrote: (Don't use the stove inside or you may only need one day of food.)

LOL!
Kadje

Postby Kristopia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:59 pm

I worried that I'd be too tempted by snacks like chips and stuff. But I found a great "recipe" for microwave potato chips. I started with one for salt and vinegar chips. Slice thin potatoes on a mandolin slicer or if you have the right blade on a food processor. Soak them for anywhere from an hour to a day or two in a vinegar and salt liquid. Put on parchment paper in the microwave - 2 minutes - turn over - about 1 to 1.5 minutes (if they start to brown, take them out) They'll crisp as they cool, and store well in a ziploc. I've got some soaking right now in pickle juice for dill pickle chips. :)

At any rate, they're just potato and vinegar or pickle marinade.
Kristopia

Postby YvonneG » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 pm

Tami Kramer of Nutmeg Notebook has some suggestions in the links below (she broke the article into three parts).

http://nutmegnotebook.com/2015/07/a-who ... -part-one/
http://nutmegnotebook.com/2015/07/a-who ... -part-two/
http://nutmegnotebook.com/2015/08/a-who ... art-three/
Last edited by YvonneG on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YvonneG

Postby YvonneG » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:33 pm

Also check Costco -they have no oil brown rice that you heat in the microwave and quinoa cups. And Dr McDougall's soups, noodle cups and quinoa cups (I have bought them at Whole Foods and believe I have seen them in my local grocery store as well). I The Pad Thai was my fave.

https://www.rightfoods.com/
YvonneG

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program