Other weight loss factors...

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Other weight loss factors...

Postby petero » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Entering the worst-case scenario of this into CRON-O-Meter gives me about 2000 calories yet your BMR is probably around 1600. With activities of daily living, you're probably just balancing out.

Basically, you just need to decrease the calorie density of your diet. If you're not already following the guidelines of dividing your plate 50/50 into starches and low calorie veggies (for breakfast I would do fruits because they go better with oatmeal), or are eating the denser 67/33 ratio, you should try more veggies and see what happens. Also get the recommended amount of exercise every day.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby Debmcallister » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi Kmimi,
I was just listening to a YouTube video by Dr Pam Popper from the Wellness institute. She is a big Dr McDougall follower. She was discussing weight loss plateaus and mentioned how some people stall because they do not eat enough. Have you tallied up your calories? Perhaps you actually need to eat MORE. She suggests 5-6 meals per day (and she emphasizes meals, not snacks- an apple is not a meal,). Yes, you run the chance of gaining weight, but If you are really adhering to what you wrote I have a hard time believing you should cut anything else out. I would starve on that menu, and I am 148 pounds at 5'6''. Good luck. Check out popper's videos-she is legit and a mcdougaller.
Debmcallister

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:12 pm

You're eating almost entirely starch. You mention some raw veggies, but those aren't going to be very filling (you get more out of veggies when cooked). The MWL plan has you eating at least half your food as non-starchy veggies. Eat those FIRST and then, if still hungry, have some starchy food.

That said, you should be losing weight with that few calories (unless the portions are absurdly large). If you're not eating monstrous portions and you really are not using oil, "butters," etc., it might be worth getting a thyroid test. Usually I think that's a cop-out, but when I was your weight, I lost without trying, really, once back on the plan. It didn't get hard until I was 15 pounds from final weight.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby scooterpie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:06 pm

The alcohol--too many calories of no use to you to begin with--and the great deal of tea are probably both interfering with your sleep. If you don't get restorative sleep, you will never lose weight. Maybe a little, but I'd cut out both of those and eat that banana that you think is evil instead:-)

Alcohol will put you to sleep, but then it will backfire and keep you from getting restorative sleep. Or it will simply disrupt your sleep. The half-life of caffeine (the tea) can vary wildly from person to person.

Perhaps reread the principles of the diet. And then revisit them at least once a week to keep you in check. Unless you're willing to cut these things out and see how you do, then you'll never know. You'll just keep chasing your tail.
scooterpie

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program