falling off the wagon..hard!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

falling off the wagon..hard!

Postby atz100 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:19 pm

so for the whole month of July I've fallen off the starch solution wagon :( I've eaten lots of vegan junk food high in oil, fat, salt, and sugar pretty much everyday; things like vegan ice cream, cake, cookies, pizza, oily pastas/stirfry. Anything you can imagine, I ate it! I pretty much gained all the weight I lost (probably a combo of water retention and fat) and I feel horrible. Alot of it has been binge eating, so many days were 10,000 calories..no joke. I feel terrible and need to get back on track, but feel quite hopeless and saddened by the progress that's been undone this month. Advice on how to get back on track? Thanks, I'm determined to make August my month! :)
atz100

Re: falling off the wagon..hard!

Postby Plumerias » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:21 pm

I would think that the fact that you feel lousy, which I assume is mostly physical, would be a terrific motivator. So, the answer is simple, one day at a time. After you get all the junk out of your kitchen.
Plumerias

Postby Katydid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Everything you've eaten - vegan ice cream, cakes, cookies, pizza, stir-fry, pasta can be made oil/fat-free and perfectly McDougall "legal" using healthy, delicious ingredients. You just have to sit down and decide how you are going to plan, shop, and cook to make it happen. There are YouTube videos on how to fry food using water or broth, bake crispy oven fried, make ice cream from frozen bananas, etc. This is not a diet of denial. This is not a diet of white knuckle will-power. This is a diet of abundance- but you have to be willing make your own food. Next time you feel that you are going to go on a month-long binge if you can't have chocolate chip ice cream - ask for a recipe for an appropriate substitute. We can help :D

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Ejeff » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Well said Katie! I feel the exact same way. I make ice cream with frozen bananas and nuts, I eat cookies without oil, I buy oil free corn tortillas and make my own chips. I deny myself nothing but it does take some planning. Tonight for supper I'm having crispy zucchini cake burger with lemon pepper sauce (from Vegan8) and potatoe salad no oil. Can't wait to eat.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:08 pm

I think there are many very successful McDougallers who have fallen and gotten back up. I sure hope so, because I have had plenty of ups and downs.

You can't uneat what you ate in the past, but you can eat what you eat today. So wipe yourself off, get back up and move on. We can do this!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby DWu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:28 am

H atz100i,

I’ve shared this before. Maybe you’ll find it helpful in getting back on track and staying on the wagon.

It’s called the “Don’t break the chain” method, which was attributed to Jerry Seinfeld as he tried to become a better comic.

Get a calendar with a whole year on it, and mark an “X” on each day you’re compliant on the program. After a few days, you’ll have a chain. Keep at it, and the chain will grow.

You’ll probably find that you like seeing the growing chain, especially when you get a few weeks’ worth of “X’s” on the calendar. As it gets bigger and bigger, you’ll probably be more motivated to keep at it. Then your only job is to not break the chain.

Hope this helps.
DWu

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program