brown rice -avoiding due to arsenic concerns?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

brown rice -avoiding due to arsenic concerns?

Postby chewy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:58 am

hi i love and eat brown rice daily. are any of you avoiding eating rice due to arsenic concerns?i have been boiling it and simmering in lots of water and then pouring off the liquid. what are you all doing?
chewy

Re: brown rice -avoiding due to arsenic concerns?

Postby Katydid » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Rinse it. Throw it in the rice cooker. Cook it. For the 1 cup (cooked) a day I eat with my dinner, it doesn't seem worth worrying about. :? But then again, I don't go out of my way to buy organic either :lol:

I focus on Jeff's 5 lifestyle tips:

So, the take home message is clear, before you worry about every passing health story in the news...
1) If you smoke quit. In addition, do your best to avoid second hand and third hand smoke.
2) If you are overweight, lose weight. Get to a healthy weight. Ideally, (if you can) aim for a BMI of 18.5 to 22.
3) Eat a unrefined, unprocessed (or minimally processed) plant food diet low in calorie density without the addition of salt, oils and/or sugars. (See the note, "A Common Sense Approach to Sound Nutrition.)
4) Make sure you get at least 30 minutes of moderate activity at least 5x a week.
5) Don't drink and if you do, quit. If you do drink and are not going to quit, limit your intake to no more than 4 drinks a week for women and 7 drinks per week for men with no more than 2 in any given day.

I treat the rest as noise.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby chewy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:52 pm

thank you Katydid. you are awesome!iam a OK on all those. BMI 18.5
chewy

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:59 am

I figure people have been eating rice for thousands of years and I don't worry about it. Much better to be concerned about fats, high fructose corn syrup, etc.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby pborst » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 am

Jeff Novick posted on this a while back. Most of the arsenic concern is American rice grown in Texas or Louisiana. Arsenic was applied as a pesticide to cotton fields that had been converted to rice fields. Rice from Asia or California doesn't have the same levels (still some arsenic but very little). Just avoid Texas or Lousiana rice are you are good to go.
pborst

Postby cabinho22 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:02 am

I read online that percolating it with a coffee pot gets rid of a significant amount. I have done it this way, and it is pretty quick and effortless. Also check previous post from consumers since place of origin makes a difference as to levels of toxic contaminants.
cabinho22

Postby Wild4Stars » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:19 am

I took a cooking class with a Food For Life instructor trained by Neal Barnard of PCRM. She recommended rinsing very well, soaking, overnight if possible, but at least a couple hours, thoroughly rinsing again, then cook as normal. That's how I have been doing it ever since and it comes out great.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program