Rice Cakes

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rice Cakes

Postby glabate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:30 pm

I like them and have been using them as snacks between meals. Any thoughts about it? I am plateaued and need to get much stricter with myself.
glabate

Re: Rice Cakes

Postby Katydid » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:46 am

I love rice cakes, but they just don't fill me up. I can (and have) eaten an entire tube in a day - that's a thousand calories - and still gone on to eat my regular meals. Can't have them in the house as much as I wish otherwise :oops:

Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby frozenveg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:07 am

I'm with Kate on this one. I try to eat two, and end up eating 6 or more. Because they are dry, they are quite calorie-dense, and they don't feel like much, so it's easy to eat a lot of them.

5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby glabate » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Your posts really helped. I never looked at the total calories. I thought they were included in the unlimited category. I'm very embarrassed to say I've eaten the whole tube many times. If anyone can overdo it, I can. I've had so many obsessions to break.
glabate

Postby Jeepsterhound » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 am

You are not alone, glabate, I have often eaten half the tube and then the other half. I had to quit buying them.
Jeepsterhound

Postby graciezoe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:09 am

I feel the same about corn thins, I love them but end up eating 3 or 4 because they are not dense enough to make a dent if I'm hungry.
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:59 am

chewy wrote:i have followed the MWL which liberally includes rice cakes daily(and i eat them liberally daily!) and have never had a problem with them causing weight gain.Ii eat them with smashed chickpeas on top,slives of tomato and cucumber -yum! am strict with the MWL-eat only 2 fruits ,tons of raw and steamed vegetables,Salads, and then starch favourites.i eat plain air popped popcorn too.

It is important to put this in proper perspective, like with the 12 slices a day bread challenge.

Questions one must consider in regard to this issue are..

Have you ever had a weight problem or been overweight? Have you ever struggled to lose weight? Are you a volume eater?

For those who have struggled (or are struggling right now) with weight issues, puffed items, like rice cakes, air popped popcorn, etc, will have to be limited or avoided because, while they have a large volume, they are extremely calorie dense.

I explain all of this in this link...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14126&#p127817

. Now, popcorn is calorie dense and while it does have much more volume than many other foods with the same calorie density due to the air, it is still much easier to overeat on than foods with a lower calorie density. The reason is, most foods that are low in calorie density are high in water, which not only provides volume but also weight. The air may provide volume but it does not provide the weight which is as an important factor in satiety.

In addition, most of the volume created by the air never makes it to your stomach as we chew it out in our mouths. To get a real idea of what ends up in your stomach, look at the amount of kernels before you pop it and that is a much more realistic picture of the volume of food that will make it to your stomach.

So, while a puffed grain, like air-popped corn or rice cakes, or puffed rice cereal may seem like a better choice than a bread, cracker, dry cereal or bagel, made of the same grain, because of the volume created by the air, it isn’t and will never be as good as the plan cooked corn, or rice as it does not have the weight provided by the water.

Volume created by water, trumps volume created by air.

For those who have not had a weight problem, then the this is not an issue.

chewy wrote:i Am 5"3 and 103 pounds thanks to MWL. before i started,i was 118 -biggest i have ever been.

So, let's put this in proper perspective, someone who weights 103 lbs and is 5'3" has a BMI of 18.25, which is slightly low by current standards. At your heaviest, you had a BMI of 20.9, which is still within the lower end of the healthy range.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby frozenveg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:32 am

Jeff, thank you so much for this reply and detailed explanation! I know I have read that thread before, but it's hard to remember the details, when I'm trying to explain (to anyone--including myself! :oops: ) why things like rice cakes are dangerous for me. Having been 90+ pounds overweight for 40 or more of my adult years, I know I have things that I can not get loosey-goosey about. Rice cakes, popcorn and corn thins are that sort of thing.

It's also telling. Chewy, that you talk about the nice toppings you have on your rice cakes, while those of us who may have a problem with them talk about eating a whole package of them. I don't know about anyone else, but when I turn to rice cakes, I don't bother with toppings, nice presentation, or anything else. I am having them for the crunch--I'm working off tension and nervous energy! I'm not eating them because I'm hungry and want a snack--I'm eating them because I want crunch. So, long and short of the story--I don't eat them! I avoid them and keep them out of the house.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm

frozenveg wrote:Jeff, thank you so much for this reply and detailed explanation! I know I have read that thread before, but it's hard to remember the details, when I'm trying to explain (to anyone--including myself! :oops: ) why things like rice cakes are dangerous for me. Having been 90+ pounds overweight for 40 or more of my adult years, I know I have things that I can not get loosey-goosey about. Rice cakes, popcorn and corn thins are that sort of thing..

It is what I call Vanishing Perceived Satiety and in our world, mostly applies to puffed products like the ones you mention. I explain a little about it here...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450#p454384

9. Vanishing Perceived Satiety
These are foods that appear to be high in satiety due to their large volume but are actually calorie dense and low in satiety. This is because their volume comes from air, which unlike water, does not provide the same weight for the same volume so is much less satiating. On a WFPB diet, foods that have vanishing perceived satiety include popcorn, rice cakes and puffed cereals.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby chewy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:05 am

Thank you very much Jeff for your insightful post!
chewy

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program