Too few calories

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Too few calories

Postby elainepoc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:21 am

I am having a real problem on this program eating enough calories. I range between 900-1000 calories a day which is not good. I am very active doing weight workouts 6x a week and running 5x a week and with the low calorie input I have lost my energy and my blood pressure bottoms out (90/48) too often. I have oatmeal with berries for breakfast, salad no dressing for lunch, carrots for snack, banana, a yam, one or two potatoes with salsa. Any suggestions?
elainepoc

Re: Too few calories

Postby Soso » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:36 am

elainepoc wrote:I am having a real problem on this program eating enough calories. I range between 900-1000 calories a day which is not good. I am very active doing weight workouts 6x a week and running 5x a week and with the low calorie input I have lost my energy and my blood pressure bottoms out (90/48) too often. I have oatmeal with berries for breakfast, salad no dressing for lunch, carrots for snack, banana, a yam, one or two potatoes with salsa. Any suggestions?

Can't you simply eat more? Is your problem mental, do you starve yourself on purpose or you arent hungry?
I got into the same bad habit of starving myself and now i think im slowly recovering.
Soso

Postby frozenveg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:06 am

I agree--why are you eating so little? You should be having starch at each meal, and possibly starches for snacks, plus more regular veggies. What is the reason for this tiny amount to eat? What did you used to eat before you started this way of eating, and how many calories do you estimate that was??
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 am

elainepoc wrote:I am having a real problem on this program eating enough calories. I range between 900-1000 calories a day which is not good. I am very active doing weight workouts 6x a week and running 5x a week and with the low calorie input I have lost my energy and my blood pressure bottoms out (90/48) too often. I have oatmeal with berries for breakfast, salad no dressing for lunch, carrots for snack, banana, a yam, one or two potatoes with salsa. Any suggestions?

Why no starch for lunch? This is a starch based diet, and you're simply not eating enough, especially in the middle of the day. When I used to eat that way, which was for the most part accidental, my energy plummeted as well.

Make sure each meal is starch centered. Snacks can vary, starch, fruits or veg, but the main meals need to have adequate starch for satiety and energy.
vgpedlr

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:27 am

Why are you posting in the Maximum Weight Loss forum?? If too FEW calories are your problem, you sure shouldn't be eating MWL! :-)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby MINNIE » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 am

Again, this is a starch based way of eating.

If you aren't eating enough starch, you aren't really doing the McDougall plan.

Don't be afraid.

Eat more starch :D !
MINNIE

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 am

It took me awhile to understand the importance of starch. When I experimented with a vegan diet, I often made meals that were all low calorie veggies without realizing, like a giant salad. I suffered with no energy. STARCH for energy, fruit and veg for micronutrient density, taste, and texture.

STARCH FTW!
vgpedlr

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program