Mary's mini

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mary's mini

Postby Soso » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:47 am

Hey,

i am on Mary's Mini diet (kind of) since Sunday and my main source of starches until now was potatoes. I wonder if i should keep it for 10 days or can i switch to wild rice?

I have diabetes and i have just read: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/39/4/598.full.pdf . I discovered starch base not long ago so my blood sugar still goes to 170-180 after 1 big meal of potatoes (it comes down fast though and its getting better and better).

I also want to keep my weight because i ended up with some eating disorder and starving myself on raw vegan with dairy binge eating here and there, and from what i read, its important to keep variety low when doing Mary's mini. I have a BMI of 19.5-19.7 but i just want to be able to eat like a normal human being without either starving or binge eating. Until now it worked wonders and i have no binge desires although i only ate potatoes, greens and fruits for 5 days now.
Soso

Re: Mary's mini

Postby frozenveg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:01 am

Soso, you are at a very nice weight--are you trying to keep your weight up? If so, is there a reason you are doing a Mary's mini, which is simply a variation of the Maximum Weight Loss version of the McDougall diet, designed for quicker, more efficient weight loss? Keeping the variety low on the Mini is to keep from stimulating the appetite, to enhance weight loss. So can you explain why you chose the MIni?

And if you have a tendency to starve yourself, then it might help a lot to make sure you are eating on a regular basis, and eating plenty of food, especially starch. The starches of your choice! No need to have potatoes--you can have rice, quinoa, millet, kasha, rye berries, wheat berries, etc., etc. If you want to eat like a normal person (boy, can I identify!), then set up breakfast, lunch, dinner, and either one or two between-meal snacks (one between b'fst and lunch, and one between lunch & dinner. If you can't tell if you are eating till satisfied, then use the same bowl or plate for your food, and fill it the same way at each meal, and keep that up.

Keep us posted!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Soso » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:22 am

Today i ate like 1.5 kg potatoes, 1 big salad, 250 grams mushrooms, 4 small nectarines and 2 medium apples, and 500g of cucumbers.
So i am eating plenty but its hard for me because i feel guilty...
basically i have eating and self image issues. Yes my weight is pretty good, im a male, 181cm and about 64-65 kg, i am pretty muscular but i used to have 80+kg and lost all this weight in about 5 years. Well my self image is still stuck in the past and the fact that i managed to get 6 pack abs does not help either, because now i am weighting myself all the time which i am sure is doing me a lot of bad things mentally. Every time my weight fluctuates i panic. I hate this and i feel its draining my energy away.

Well i post a journal i think, with everything i went through and how i got to veganism and diabetes when i will have some free time.
Soso

Postby Roni10 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:30 am

That would be great!
Roni10

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program