Leafy green vegetables

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Leafy green vegetables

Postby NightFlight » Thu May 28, 2015 8:54 am

Does one have to eat leafy green (or yellow) vegetables for the maximum weight loss? How important is this? I can do it, but I'd rather stick to potatoes, rice and beans alone.
NightFlight

Re: Leafy green vegetables

Postby openmind » Thu May 28, 2015 9:20 am

NightFlight wrote:Does one have to eat leafy green (or yellow) vegetables for the maximum weight loss? How important is this? I can do it, but I'd rather stick to potatoes, rice and beans alone.

The more veggies you eat, he less the calorie density, the faster you'll lose weight. Also, don't forget you need to eat some raw veggies every day.
openmind

Postby graciezoe » Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 am

I try to eat greens for every meal with my starches.
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby Jeepsterhound » Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 am

You don't have to eat anything you don't want to. Leafy greens and other yellow and green vegetables are good because they have a low calorie density and will help fill you up.
Jeepsterhound

Postby Crider » Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am

You need vegetables and fruits for the nutrients they provide. A diet of 700 calories of potatoes, 700 calories of brown rice and 700 calories of pinto beans completely lacks vitamin A. It is short for the RDA of vitamin B2, E and K. It lacks enough Calcium. It also lacks having enough flavor! :nod:
Crider

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 pm

openmind wrote: Also, don't forget you need to eat some raw veggies every day.

Who says? There is no benefit to raw veggies over cooked. To the contrary, you assimilate cooked food more efficiently than raw.

However, green and yellow veggies are an important part of this WOE and particularly of MWL. The goal with MWL is to fill 3/4 of your plate w/ green and yellow veggies and THEN go to the starch.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:54 pm

openmind wrote: Also, don't forget you need to eat some raw veggies every day.

No, you don't. In some cases, like the Elimination Diet, everything is cooked. While you can live for extended periods on potatoes alone, some variety of veggies provides a much better nutrient profile. Also, for the Maximum Weight Loss Program, lowering calorie density is an important component. Low calorie veggies do exactly this.
vgpedlr

Postby NightFlight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:12 pm

I take that back, I don't think I can do it!

I bought a bag of mixed greens and a bottle of Walden Farms low calorie Italian dressing; I went to town on that bag. The dressing was too delish. This is a problem for me. If something tastes really good I eat it like a junkyard dog.
NightFlight

Postby frozenveg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 am

NightFlight wrote:I take that back, I don't think I can do it!

I bought a bag of mixed greens and a bottle of Walden Farms low calorie Italian dressing; I went to town on that bag. The dressing was too delish. This is a problem for me. If something tastes really good I eat it like a junkyard dog.

Well, no wonder! Walden Farms dressing is NOT green leafy veggies! It's mostly Splenda. You may not be at the point of being able to eat green veggies without dressing, but it's something to put in your mind. Better to eat 10 or 15 plain leaves of green than to down an entire bottle of dressing!

And you don't have to just eat salad vegetables! In cold weather I go for days without a salad of any kind. I eat lots of cooked broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green beans, cabbage, and some days my veggies are just corn or peas.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby DWu » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:23 pm

If you’re trying to follow the Maximum Weight Loss Program, then some raw vegetables should be included if possible.

Check out Dr. McDougall’s post here.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/050100pupushing.htm

“Raw vegetables are less digestible, providing fewer calories. Cooking begins the digestion process of foods and breaks complex carbohydrates into simpler (sweeter tasting) sugars – and more calories. Therefore, eat uncooked foods when you have the chance in order to accelerate weight loss.”
DWu

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program