Please clarify restrictions

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Please clarify restrictions

Postby ebarton » Sat May 16, 2015 8:42 pm

This is directed at Star McDougallers, Mr. Novick, and/or Dr. McDougall.

Here is my situation. I am a 33 year old mostly sedentary male, 5'10", I fluctuate between 200-210 lbs with my regular vegetarian diet. I did a 60 day juice fast in 2011 and dropped 50 lbs in 60 days. I felt great and it was more than a year before I got back to the 200s. However, for me juice fasting takes an inordinate amount of willpower and suffering. I want a diet/lifestyle I can sustain and enjoy. I want to get back down to the 160s (which seems to be my ideal weight) and stay there.

I am impressed and convinced by the science Mr. Novick presents. I want to make sure I am following the guidelines correctly. Once I have them down solidly, I look forward to venturing out into all the wonderful recipes and experiences this lifestyle offers.

Please clarify the restrictions in the MWP and Starch Solution Lifestyle. I don't mean no oil, meat, dairy, etc. I am asking about the restrictions in the foods recommended. For example, 1 cup of legumes per day, 3 servings of fruit per day, etc. What restrictions are there? I seem to find contradictions between various reliable sources.

Mr. Novick lists fruits in the eat freely (without restriction) category, but Dr. McDougall recommends no more than 3 servings per day. Why is this?

Legumes are listed as a staple of the Starch Solution and, while a higher caloric density than other starchy vegetables, falls into the "Eat relatively large portions without concern" category provided by Mr. Novick. But Dr. McDougall recommends limiting legumes to 1 cup per day. Is this only to reduce protein intake, or is this for weightloss/health in general?

Pasta is also confusing to me. Mr. Novick lists it as an intact whole grain food and lumps it under the "Eat relatively large portions without concern" category in his article entitled "A Common Approach to Sound Nutrition." But Dr. McDougall lists pasta as a highly refined flour and says they should play a small role in the diet. The MWP crowd forgoes all pasta.

What starches are safe to "Eat Freely"? CalorieKing lists potatoes and sweet potatoes at around 400 cal/lb. Yellow corn at 360 cal/lb. Brown rice (cooked) at 500 cal/lb.

Thank you all for your support. I look forward to a healthier and slimmer future! :)
ebarton

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program