Like having a bucket of ice water thrown over my head

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Like having a bucket of ice water thrown over my head

Postby grannylut » Thu May 07, 2015 11:40 am

I went for a following up appointment with the Orthopedist this morning - had an MRI of my knee done last week. My right knee has been really bothering me. I have a slight tear in my meniscus, but the real problem is the amount of arthritis that is evident. Instead of knee replacement (which is what they use to do with this situation, I will be getting the liquid gel shots over the course of the next month (three of them).

I had stopped doing exercise because of I thought it was making it worse - it really hurt. Turns out the exercise is really important to do and I need to ice it and take an anti-inflammatory right after.

Ok - so far so good.

What I may not have shared is the in the past 2 years I lost about 80 lbs - mostly on MWL, but some stints on low carb. Well - with all the problems with my knee, and my trying to do this eating bread and other refined carbs - I gained back about 10 or so lbs. I am only 4'11" so even that much makes a difference. The doctor told me (with my husband present) that I needed to lose weight. Every bit of insecurity over my weight came flooding back. My whole childhood and adulthood, I have been embarrassed at the doctor's office. All I wanted to do when I got out of there was to go eat something.

I was saner than I thought. I am eating veggies and quinua and planning to go back to exercising. I am 67 years old. When will this pass?
grannylut

Re: Like having a bucket of ice water thrown over my head

Postby f1jim » Sat May 09, 2015 9:24 am

Must be very frustrating to you. What is your present situation? Overweight? Obese? These things have a direct bearing on joint health.
Read Jeff Novicks stuff on caloric density. Stay consistent on diet. Stay consistent on exercise. Time and adherence are time honored approaches to everything.
When will it end? Probably when you have regained your health. Climb the ladder.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Like having a bucket of ice water thrown over my head

Postby grannylut » Sat May 09, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for responding. I would say I am about 10 or 15 lbs from my goal. As I mentioned above, I have lost a lot but must have gained back about 10. The one thing you probably couldn't identify with is the fact that the doctor said this in front of my husband. I have spent the last 45 years of my life NOT discussing my weight with my husband.

Seriously -I do know the weight is a factor. I am trying to push through the pain and do a lot of walkin.
grannylut

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program