Oercoming Emotional Eating

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oercoming Emotional Eating

Postby JohnB Sydney » Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 am

Hi to everyone on the discussion board. Greetings from Australia . If you struggle at times staying on the McDougall program and have tried willpower and everything else to avoid relapsing, this may interest you.........

I am new to the forum but have been a Whole food plant based eater for about 4 years now. In that time I have lost over 20 kg (44lbs) going from 105kg down to about 83kg and I find it quite effortless these days to keep it off....... with one noticeable exception, which is when I get stressed and indulge in comfort food eating to numb emotional pain.

I have recently been in direct email discussion with Dr McDougall and he suggested the forum may be the place for this.......

I am currently undergoing the Certification process for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) which is an Energy psychology technique that is very successful in assisting with various complaints such as anxiety, depression , phobias and weight loss. I am passionate about helping people adopt the plant based eating style and in particular the McDougall version based around starches. However, for many people, all the knowledge and willpower in the world is sometimes not enough to stay on the plan long term.

My personal experience and my observations have been that when strong emotions like anxiety or depression kick in, it is easy to turn to the worst comfort foods like pizzas, burgers, deep fried junk and high sugar foods and undo all the good. These foods can be as addictive as many drugs and succumbing to them is easily done when our emotional state is poor.

As part of my training and to further develop my skills in EFT in the area of weight loss and changing to plant based eating, I am looking to work one on one at NO COST with a few individuals who are committed to changing to the McDougall Program but struggle to do so at times and, who would meet the following criteria:

• have full knowledge of what the McDougall program is, (preferably done the 10 day program or has the certification)
• has a strong desire to implement it and has good reason to such as a chronic illness or excess weight.
• has a menu plan / recipe plan available
• has the skills to implement the plan such as the ability to prepare the food and eat it on an ongoing basis.
• Has the home / kitchen environment available to implement the program

In other words, the client has all the necessary tools and skills to put the McDougall Program into practice but is still unable to.

I would suspect a client like this will have some emotional /psychological barrier that defies logic and therefore an approach such as EFT, that is not based on logic but emotion, may remove the barrier and allow the client to successfully adopt the program.

I know in my own case and in the case of some clients I have worked with here, that until emotional blockages were addressed, it was a case of constantly ‘falling off the wagon’ despite the best of intentions. At this point I have not been able to work with a client in Australia who has all the attributes mentioned above, so thought the forum may be the place to find a few. My role is mostly focused on overcoming the emotional causes of struggling with the program rather than being focused on coaching about what to eat (even though I have good knowledge of that aspect).

If anyone was interested in volunteering, I'd love to hear from you via this forum.

The method would be by Skype and at this stage I could work with 3 people for up to 3 x 1 hr sessions over about 3-4 weeks.

As previously mentioned there is no cost as I will benefit greatly from the practice sessions and gain hours towards my certification. There are no doubt some US based EFT practitioners who could do this but I am yet to find one who also believes passionately in the plant based whole food eating program and unfortunately there are quite a few influenced by some of crazy diets like lo-carb and paleo.
JohnB Sydney

Re: Oercoming Emotional Eating

Postby Soso » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 am

Hey, do you still need someone to volunteer?
I could offer some details, sadly i cannot send messages yet as i have barely registered (in the last couple of days i just read the forum as i am new to the starch solution, but an on/off vegan for the last 2.5 years)
Soso

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:14 am

I would be interested in volunteering also...read my journal post today...
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Katydid » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:16 am

EFT (or tapping) is quite frankly "woo". The McDougall Program is based on not only peer-reviewed scientific literature and patient studies, but also on the logical observation of the world's healthiest populations. And while I believe that the OP is genuinely interested in helping people, please be careful in mixing pseudoscience with Dr. McDougall's work.

http://skepdic.com/eft.html

https://psychiatrysho.wordpress.com/201 ... -nonsense/

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby JohnB Sydney » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Thanks for your contribution to the thread Kate. I agree with you 100% about the scientific basis for Dr McDougall's program. Unfortunately, despite all the logic and science, many people struggle with staying on the program due to unresolved emotional reasons. Emotions are notoriously hard to prove with science but nevertheless there is now a large body of scientific literature in peer reviewed journals that shows beyond a shadow of doubt that EFT is efficacious. That is not disputed now.

Do we know exactly why it works? No. But as Dr Mcdougall says in his story about how removing the pump handle to the Broad Street well pump in London in 1831, stopped the spread of cholera before they even knew about microbes, we dont have to know why it works, we just need to know it works.

Here is an excerpt from his 2003 newsletter that describes the event I refer to

The Broad Street Pump

Cholera, an often-fatal infectious disease, spread throughout England beginning in 1831. At that time, this disease was believed to be from "miasma in the atmosphere." Miasma refers to foul or malodorous vapors (air) that cause disease. Four serious epidemics, taking tens of thousands of lives in England, occurred from then until 1854 when an anesthesiologist, John Snow, solved the mystery.

Dr. Snow noticed that the distribution of cases of cholera was largely confined to those people who obtained their water from one particular well, called the Broad Street Pump. He also observed that of the 530 inmates of the Poland Street workhouse, which was around the corner from the Broad Street Pump, only five people had contracted cholera; and that no one from the workhouse drank the pump water, for the building had its own well. Among the 70 workers in a Broad Street brewery, where the men were given an allowance of free beer every day, and consequently never drank water, there were no fatalities. These findings resulted in the identification of the well as the source of cholera and the removal of the handle from the well’s pump – the epidemic of cholera ended.

Almost 30 years passed before it was recognized that the cause of this disease was a bacteria called Vibrio cholerae; however, this did not stop Dr. Snow and the community surrounding the Broad Street Pump from taking action that saved thousands of lives. The important message here is that even without identifying the exact agent causing the disease, they saved themselves by avoiding the well. Dr. Snow’s work marks the beginning of the science of epidemiology.

I guess the take away message here is do what is proven to work and dont worry about how it works.

Thanks again for your contribution.

John
JohnB Sydney

Postby PurplePotato » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Katydid wrote:http://skepdic.com/eft.html

I'm not sure I'd want to trust Skepdic as a source, as they think that the China Study is bunk and that Denise Minger is a reliable source: http://skepdic.com/chinastudy.html. Of course, no source is perfect, but I tend to only give so many strikes.

Katydid wrote:https://psychiatrysho.wordpress.com/201 ... -nonsense/

This blog's main source appears to be this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22122622
Which is a critique of this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22122417
And the original author of the review critiques the critique here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22122624

The thing I found most interesting is from the abstract of the critique:

The small successes seen in these therapies are potentially attributable to well-known cognitive and behavioral techniques that are included with the energy manipulation.

Which, if I am understanding correctly, may mean that he accepts the results, but is unable to accept the mechanism. Hard to tell without reading the whole thing though, and I'm not interested enough to pay.

I'm not saying that EFT works or doesn't work, as I don't know, nor do I feel that compelled to dig in to the research. I just personally get bothered by things being labeled as pseudoscience, when the scientific method is being used to test them. So I guess this is a little bit of a rant. Thanks for reading :)
PurplePotato

Postby Klund » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:06 pm

I might be too late but I'd like to volunteer as well. I've done the EFT training and know that it's helpful because I've used it with some of my clients but I have trouble using it for me. So, I'd welcome the opportunity.
Klund

Postby JohnB Sydney » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi,
it never occurred to me that someone with EFT training might respond. probably the perfect storm of qualifications ! Knowledge of WFPB, understanding and belief in EFT. Sure we can work out something. Lets discuss possibilities by private messaging and swap contact details there. Kind Regards, John
JohnB Sydney

Postby ickromhout » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Do you still need a person? I did the 10 day program last year and I am eating like TSS for 5 years now but I struggle with some things an I am afraid that that is the reason I don't loose the weight I want to loose.
ickromhout

Postby JohnB Sydney » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:37 pm

ickromhout wrote:Do you still need a person? I did the 10 day program last year and I am eating like TSS for 5 years now but I struggle with some things an I am afraid that that is the reason I don't loose the weight I want to loose.

Hi, I'm having a few problems with private messaging. Let me know if message not received with my contact details to discus further. I can work with one more volunteer. Regards, John
JohnB Sydney

Postby JohnB Sydney » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Klund wrote:I might be too late but I'd like to volunteer as well. I've done the EFT training and know that it's helpful because I've used it with some of my clients but I have trouble using it for me. So, I'd welcome the opportunity.

Hi Klund,
I have tried to private message you with my contact details so we can discuss further. Let me kno if PM not received. Regards, John
JohnB Sydney

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program