Can no longer do it "My Way"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can no longer do it "My Way"

Postby grannylut » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:02 am

I am sure, if I looked back over my posts over the years, this wouldn't be the first time I have come to this conclusion. I have totally compliant with the Vegan way of eating since July 1 of 2014 (that is just this time around). Then, in about October, life got in the way. Instead of following the MWL plan, I have been sneaking in processed food. I tried to tell myself it was Okay because the things I ate were on the regular program.

Then the cravings started. There was no such thing as eating one bagel. Two was the norm. I felt I was in some zombie movie where I found myself eating something I had no intention of eating, much less eating more of them. I am never satisfied.

I know myself well enough to know that I am suffering from a major food addiction to flour products and processed food. I can no longer fool myself. I have gained back about 10 lbs since October - having lost over 20 over the summer.

We just came back from a family trip to Cancun. I felt like a horse. I am now suffering from torn cartilege in my knee that I will have to get corrected. A coincidence? I think not.

So I would like to return to being an active participant on this board. I will post my weight on Friday and go from there. Thanks and I would appreciate all the encouragement I can get.
grannylut

Re: Can no longer do it "My Way"

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 am

Oh, honey! Been there and done that more than once, and I hope I have learned my lesson this time. So, welcome back to the straight and narrow, as they say. You can do this. Heck, you've done it before, right? Right now. commit to a solid month of no cheats. It's going to take that long to re-educate your taste buds. Plan a non-food reward for after you succeed. Anything that helps you is a good thing. A weight chart. Stars on the calendar. Whatever.
I am also in start over mode, so if you want to be "diet buddies" let me know!
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:42 am

grannylut, I'm glad you posted, and I'm glad you've decided to take us along with you on your journey. I'll always offer any encouragement I can, and be your eating cheerleader as much as you ever want or need one. Just let me know when you want someone to give you credit for some good decisions you've made and some positive thoughts you've had, and we will do so -- how about that??

Of course, there is much to be said for the strength we have shown in coping with life up till now. I mean, what person on this planet does not do sub-optimal things to themselves as coping mechanisms for times when you feel somehow stressed, bored, unfulfilled, conflicted? Some people drink alcohol, some buy material objects, some retreat into depressive patterns, some pour themselves obsessively into work. You've had coping mechanisms like the rest of us -- no shame in that!

But at some point, we have the strength to rework our approach to the challenges of life and change our response to it, even if it's just a little bit. It sounds like you've decided that you want to do that, and I think you're fully capable of doing the work, and making shifts happen in your life. We all are capable of that, if we decide we want to be.

I listened to a wonderful podcast last night by Marc David, on the emotional underpinnings of the pressure we put on ourselves or our bodies, the blame we heap on ourselves for not sailing effortlessly through life, the frustrations within ourselves that drive us to seek coping methods. If I can the link, I will -- it was AMAZING!

In short, what I was trying to say is, welcome back, and I'm glad you've made some decisions to rework your relationship with food! Feel free to let us know more about your successes or challenges, as much as you feel like it.
roundcoconut

Postby grannylut » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:42 pm

! I would love a diet Thank you both so much for your kind and encouraging words. Gweithgart - I would love a diet buddy. I am really determined to make this work.

Bread has always been my drug of choice. I will keep posted. I offer my help to you as well
grannylut

Postby DWu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 am

Hey grannylut,

How do you like plain potatoes? When you have bread cravings, could you eat those instead?

They may help you lose weight, while keeping you satisfied. And your taste buds may get used to simpler foods so that the processed foods may be less addicting.

If you haven’t already, check out this newsletter.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm

Good luck.
DWu

Postby grannylut » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:01 pm

How well timed! I just went on line to write that I am insatiably hungry. The good news is that I have only eated MWL foods. But I can't seem to fill the void. I started back on the program last Thursday, and this is the first day I am like this.

I am therefore very glad for your link and the idea of eating potatoes. You are absolutely right. I know I would be very happy eating just potatoes.

I am going to read the link you sent for Mary's minis.

Thanks.
grannylut

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program