Meal composition question

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Meal composition question

Postby SewingMom » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 am

I'm curious if it's important to have the veggies and starch at each meal or if it's ok to alternate.
For example, this morning I just wanted a salad for breakfast, I didn't feel like having a potato or oatmeal at that time. The salad won't keep me full until lunch so I'll want something to eat in between and a potato or oatmeal will probably sound pretty good. Is it ok to alternate the veggies and starch like that in smaller meals or do they really need to be eaten at the exact same time?
~Laura~
Mom to 7, foster mom to even more, and grandma to one sweet little boy. Trying to take care of myself and stay healthy so I have the energy to keep up with all of the kids!
SewingMom

Re: Meal composition question

Postby MINNIE » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am

It's fine to eat the way you want. There is no requirement to combine particular foods at any given meal. As long you are eating foods that are on-plan, just eat what you choose when you choose.

As far as I know, what matters is what you eat over the course of the days or weeks that matters, not what you eat at a particular meal.

P.S. I have my own eating pattern that evolved over the past few years. I like to start the day with lots of starch, but my evening meal is mostly salad greens and steamed veggies. This works for me, but other people might prefer the opposite. It's all good.

Bottom line : Do whatever works :D.
MINNIE

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:00 pm

I eat only porridge (steel cut oats) for breakfast. But I eat a honking big salad for lunch, and nothing else. And for supper I will have potatos, rice or beans with veggies and sometimes another salad. So instead of starch, veggies and greens at every meal, I get all my daily greens in one meal - lunch.

But I don't think that's optimal. I remember reading about a study that shows when you eat a salad before you eat your starch, you lose weight more efficiently.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby DWu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi SewingMom,

Sequencing might help you lose weight. By eat the lowest calorie-dense foods (veggies) first, you may fill up sooner. Then you might eat less of the higher calorie-dense foods (starches).

Both Dr. McDougall and Jeff talk about this.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/050100pupushing.htm

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2012/5/30_Maximizing_Weight_Loss__How_To_Fine_Tune_Calorie_Density.html
DWu

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program