Polenta

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Polenta

Postby Pattimar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:36 pm

I'm new to to the message boards. My husband and I began MWL program last Monday.

I made polenta squares topped with homemade marinara sauce and sautéed onions, peppers, and portobello mushrooms. As we were enjoying it, I began to wonder if polenta is compliant with this program. I can't find any mention of polenta in Dr. McDougall's MWL book.

Thank you.
Pattimar

Re: Polenta

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:48 am

This is where it helps to have the Kindle version of the book, too. So much easier to search. :)

On page 157 there's a section on breakfast foods to order when eating in a restaurant. It says "Because of their larger particle size, cooked whole grains are preferable to processed grain cereal such as cream of wheat or polenta."

So no, polenta is not allowed on MWLP.

And neither is couscous. Although it's mentioned as allowed and a few recipes using it are presented in the book, Dr. McDougall later admitted it was an editing error that included it, as it's actually a processed pasta product.
VeggieSue

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program