What are your favorite fall-back recipes and menus?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What are your favorite fall-back recipes and menus?

Postby shar_63 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty familiar with Dr. McDougall's program, going back to the early 90s with The McDougall Program. I've been working with the various cookbooks of Plant Based authors (Dr. McDougall, of course, and the Happy Herbivore books, Engine 2, China Study, Neal Barnard, etc.)

Like many women of a certain age (ahem!) I am having trouble shedding weight. As an emotional eater, I also tend to go for things that are not healthy for me and either fall off the wagon or eat too much of the things that are allowed on this program, but are perhaps not the best choice for weight loss at my age.

So next week I want to plunge in and really go for it! I would appreciate any tips on your favorite menus and/or recipes, from Dr. McDougall and/or any of the Plant Based docs.

I'm hoping to put together a series of choices that will make it very, very easy for me to stick to the plan and do well.

I'm looking forward to supporting, and being supported by, this wonderful group. :-D

Sharon
shar_63

Re: What are your favorite fall-back recipes and menus?

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:14 am

Off the top of my head...

I like aloo gobi that I make myself. It's cauliflower-potato curry with veggie broth/tomatoes for the base and seasoned with Madras brand curry powder. It's so good. I like it with steamed collard greens, brown rice, or just by itself if it's not overly seasoned. The Madras curry powder is not really spicy but more flavorful.

Another thing I tend to have a lot is baked brussell sprouts and mushrooms. I dip the brussells sprouts in balsamic vinegar before eating them. Also, i bake potato wedges on parchment paper and eat with ketchup. Sometimes I make my own hummus by blending chickpeas and a baked red bell pepper and a little bit of garlic salt. The hummus is good with baby carrots and (strangely) white sweet potato chunks.

I also like vegan chili with an extra can of black beans added with baked potato.

I have oatmeal with cinnamon and banana for breakfast nearly every day.

Good luck!
Caroveggie

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:51 am

There was just a similar thread on this a few weeks ago:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46872

In my post I list my family's favorites and my 4 week menu with links to the recipes, when available.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46872#p483254
VeggieSue

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:17 pm

I can eat this every day. Seriously. I can. It's good hot, but it's also good cold, as a salad. :-) Note: I don't measure.

Starch: Chop up a nuked Yukon gold tater or 2, or toss some brown rice or other whole grain in a big bowl.

Veggies: Add frozen or fresh greens, chopped. Add any other veggies you like (mushrooms, chopped zucchini, corn, frozen veggies out of a bag, etc.).

Salsa: Add enough salsa (no oil, low salt) for a nice consistency.

Microwave 4 min. Eat. :-) Make extra and save it for later. I eat it cold when I'm on the road.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program