popcorn & corn tortillas

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

popcorn & corn tortillas

Postby tamcam » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:21 pm

I was wondering if anyone else eats popcorn or oil free corn tortillas. I bought the Whole Foods microwave popcorn. It has no oil or salt. I also bought Sweet mocha rice cakes. Are they allowed? I also bought the Ezekiel sprouted corn tortillas without oil.
tamcam

Re: popcorn & corn tortillas

Postby frozenveg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Yep, many of us eat air-popped popcorn and corn tortillas. Dr. M said that although flour products are not recommended on MWL, 2 or 3 corn tortillas aren't too bad. And air-popped popcorn (so if that Whole Foods has no oil in it, it must be air-popping!) is also OK as a snack. I don't know what sweet mocha rice cakes are. You don't mean sweet mochi, do you? They look like 100% sugar! But if you do mean "mocha," I would look for dairy in there, and also watch the fat content.

Are you a label-reader? You'll need to be to do well if you plan to eat any foods that come with labels! (As opposed to potatoes, broccoli, oranges, etc., that have no labels on them! :-D :)) You'll be looking for calories from fat, and from sugar, and you'll be looking for sodium, too, which needs to be kept low.

Of course, popcorn, rice cakes, and corn tortillas are very calorie-dense, and should be used sparingly on MWL. If you find that when you have a lot of those, you don't lose well, that can be the first place you look--all those dried-out starches are very calorie-dense.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby tamcam » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Frozenveg,

Thank you so much. They are Lundberg rice cakes. Sweet Mochi rice. I actually looked them up in the MWL book and found Dr.M listed them. So I am good to go. But I totally agree that they will be the first to go if weight loss stalls. I run a lot and want to have something to snack on, on my long run days. Can I ask about hot sauce? I like to add tapatio on my air popcorn. Is that okay? I know it contains salt. Thank you again for answering questions. It's a bit scary starting out. I will get used to it and I know it will get easier, but so helpful to have help from someone who knows it inside and out!
tamcam

Postby frozenveg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I use hot sauce most of the time! As long as you read the labels, you'll be fine! Yes, there's sodium, but just be sensitive to how your body reacts to the sodium, and use it sparingly--you'll be fine! There's really nothing to be afraid of! This way of eating is really very simple (except out in restaurant world, of course!)!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Haha, I was going to say, I'd be in trouble if we couldn't have hot sauce!!

As Frozenveg says, it's just really easy. Although, I have to admit when I'm doing MWL I eat more than 2 to 3 corn tortillas, too.... :o

I think that as a runner you're going to be eating more food on this plan than you're even used to already. When I used to run I would eat enormous amounts, and that was before I was on this WOE. If you like potatoes, an easy way to have snacks is to boil, bake or microwave up a couple pounds at a time and have them in the refrigerator. For instance, some fingerling potatoes plain, or dipped in mustard or some other sauce, is a yummy snack food.
PeripateticDanielle

Postby tamcam » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Frozenveg & PeripateticDanielle,

I couldn't live without my salsa and hot sauce either! I have been eating Japanese Yams! My co-worker just introduced me to them last me last month! They are so amazing! I take one to work for a snack and put mustard on it! Love, love, love them! I'm am trying to make this as easy as possible! I have to cook for my hubby and two boys as well! But absolutely want it to be satisfying and fun so I will live this way forever! Today is day two and I feel so great and haven't been hungry! This board is such a lifesaver! It's so helpful to pull it up on my computer and feel like I am not alone! You guys are so awesome!
tamcam

Postby frozenveg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am

tamcam wrote:Frozenveg & PeripateticDanielle,This board is such a lifesaver! It's so helpful to pull it up on my computer and feel like I am not alone! You guys are so awesome!

That is so true...I could never have made it this far without this board! Even once I had achieved my goal, it is not an easy road to follow, without support. One can easily feel like a freak, following a crazy way of eating, without the reinforcement of the people and information here!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby tamcam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Frozenveg,

So true. I'm on day 3. The longest I have ever stuck to this. I feel so great. I just keep logging in and keeping motivated! Not to mention I have totally not tried to limit my starch as I have in the past. I'm not worried about how fast the weight comes off. This is my new normal. I only have 10 pounds to lose and know that it may take time. But feeling great is worth the wait and keeping it off. My next half marathon is in 7 1/2 weeks, so I'm hoping my new way of eating will help with training and help me get a new PR. I do get hungrier, so I will eat a bit more starch when I am! Plus my body is truly used to running since I have been a runner for almost 23 years now! :-D
tamcam

Postby Nean » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:14 am

Wow Tamcam, sounds like you are approaching this with a great solid attitude. Glad to hear you are already feeling great.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby chewy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:19 am

Hi TamCam, I eat plain unsalted brown rice cakes and air popped popcorn everyday and it has not made me gain weight at all ever. I find them a handy ,portable food for lunches along with salads with beans to take to work.
chewy

Postby Nean » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Strongly recommend getting 'heritage", "Amish" or similar popcorn (searching for Gourmet will get you an interesting :eek: blend of what C.R.A.P are you drizzling on popcorn and good types of corn). We love the nutty taste of the Shaman or Amish Blue or Red. It is SO much tastier and that makes it easier to eat without salt or seasonings. We just bought in bulk because it stores for 100yrs (being a dry starch) and we know we will eat it. Great for the crunch or for a little snack in the evening.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby tamcam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:36 pm

Nean,

Thank you! I will look for that popcorn!
tamcam

Postby tamcam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:38 pm

Chewy,
How many rice cakes do you allow yourself and popcorn? I think I just need that little bit of crunch to feel satisfied!
tamcam

Postby chewy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:56 am

maybe 7 rice cakes and/or large bowl of popcorn made from 1/2 cup of popping corn. i go by my hunger .i love the crunch!
chewy

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program