Female Fat Loss-Frustrated!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Female Fat Loss-Frustrated!

Postby Ashley.massey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:42 am

So...my story is that I was a competitive bodybuilder and after my last competition, I was going through tremendous pain and getting fat while eating less. I was diagnosed with gastroporesis, internal hemorrhoids, severe constipation, hiatal hernia/GERD, SIBO and leaky gut. Yeah, a mess in all areas. I attended the McDougall Advanced Weekend in March 2015, and have 99% compliance with the plan. My weight has stabilized, BUT I'm having a heck of a time trying to lean out. I'm another short gal, 5'1" and range between 105 and 108. My body fat is at 20% however, and I'd like to get down to 12%. My competition form is 96 lbs and 6% body fat, and I don't intend to do that to my organs again. I'm 45 years old, so hormones and other systems may also be implicated because of the SIBO and leaky gut. I have a hard time digesting raw veggies and eat low fat...following the McDougall app recipes and Alan Goldhamer's cookbook. I lift 5 days a week and do taekwon-do 3 days a week. Honestly, I have no clue why I'm not leaning out. I don't want to reach out to the bodybuilding community because they'll just tell me to go low carb -which was the source of my issues from the get-go. PLEASE HELP?! :crybaby:
-Ashley
Ashley.massey

Postby scooterpie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Ashley.massey, my guess would be that you're not eating enough.

Why raw? Perhaps you need to read at least the free program here on the site or one of the books to see the fundamentals of the diet.
scooterpie

Postby fitvegan38 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi, I'm 38 years old, 5' 11'' and currently weight 187. I became a vegan 40 days ago and focus on the Starch Based diet. I was 192 pounds when I started and I exercise 5-6X a week walking 5-6 miles a day. I'm having the same issue with loosing weight and I'm very frustrated. My weight has gone down to 185 lbs and back to 188 lbs the next day! I'm eating super healthy, with no oil with very little salt. I also make sure I drink 2 litters of water a day (which causes me to go to the bathroom about 20x a day). I feel like I'm not burning fat at all. I recently have decided to do a juicing detox for about 10 days and go right back to a plant-based diet to see if I get better results. I feel stuck! :(
fitvegan38

Postby frozenveg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:21 am

fitvegan38 wrote:Hi, I'm 38 years old, 5' 11'' and currently weight 187. I became a vegan 40 days ago and focus on the Starch Based diet. I was 192 pounds when I started and I exercise 5-6X a week walking 5-6 miles a day. I'm having the same issue with loosing weight and I'm very frustrated. My weight has gone down to 185 lbs and back to 188 lbs the next day! I'm eating super healthy, with no oil with very little salt. I also make sure I drink 2 litters of water a day (which causes me to go to the bathroom about 20x a day). I feel like I'm not burning fat at all. I recently have decided to do a juicing detox for about 10 days and go right back to a plant-based diet to see if I get better results. I feel stuck! :(

Don't feel discouraged! You have lost over 5 pounds in fewer than 6 weeks! That is a very respectable loss, and not at all unhealthy. Time and adherence to the plan is what works for weight loss! I lost 98 pounds on this plan, but my average loss by the end of the time was a little less than a pound a week, and even in my first six months, I averaged fewer than 2 pounds a week. And yet, here I am, 4 years later, with the weight still gone. That's what you really want, right?

What is it that you are eating on daily basis? Are you doing Maximum Weight Loss, the regular plan, or a combo? Also, there is no need to drink all that water if you are eating fresh vegetables and fruits--drink to thirst, or when you feel like it, and you'll be fine.

Juicing "detox" is not part of this plan. Too much fruit can give you sweet-tooth-type cravings, raise your triglycerides, and you can possibly consume way too many calories without achieving satiation.

Stick with this! Come back here for support, ideas, and encouragement! Good luck and keep us posted on your frustrations--and on your progress!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 am

It can be very helpful to post exactly what you are eating. Give a 2-day sample and let us help you try to figure it out.
Lesliec1

Postby fitvegan38 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:22 am

I eat 2 table spoons of oat bran cooked with water or cashew milk and 1 table spoon of granola with cinnamon. Sometimes I add 1/2 banana or strawberries. I also have black organic coffee without sugar. For lunch I eat a bowl of vegetable soup I make on my slow cooker or baked potatoes with a cup of black or pinto beans and some kind of raw greens. Sometimes I have quinoa or brown rice instead of the potatoes. For dinner I usually eat the same thing as lunch or sweet potatoes with cinnamon and some raw green vegetable. I also make curry soups (green, red or yellow) and use coconut milk and water (I make it on my slow cooker and it usually gives 6-8 bowls). I cook for 4 adults and 2 children and sometimes they eat what I made and sometimes they don't. If there's leftovers I put in little plastic containers and keep it in my fridge for other meals. I usually don't eat in between meals as I'm not
hungry. I was eating 1-2 bananas every day but because my weight was fluctuating so much I decided to cut down on fruits. I only add a fruit when I have a green juice for breakfast instead of the oat bran.
fitvegan38

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:03 am

fitvegan38, I would ditch the cashew milk and the coconut milk. Even a little can mess with your progress. Also, make sure that green veggies make up HALF your intake. Otherwise, your menu looks fine.
Lesliec1

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program