Can I really lose 15 pounds in a month....

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can I really lose 15 pounds in a month....

Postby Adgie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm already close to my goal. I would say I'm 8 pounds above my ideal weight, but I am very small framed.It will not be hard for me to eat zero added fat as I am coming from Raw til 4 80-10-10 and I usually only eat 10-15 grams of fat/day, I like to eat "natural" food and I do think there is something to the raw food lifestyle but I hate sweets and I'm really struggling to live off fruit and I end up eating about 6 cups of rice with tons of flavor (probably 1/2 c mustard or bbq lol). I'm not satisfied on this lifestyle at all although I like being able to eat unlimited portions. I'm hoping to lose my last 10 or so pounds and enjoy food again. Is that really doable in a month and does anyone have tips for those who are close to their goals? thank you!!
Adgie

Re: Can I really lose 15 pounds in a month....

Postby flabingo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Bill Walsh the coach of the SF 49ers wrote a book The Score Will Take Care Of Itself.
I have applied that to my weight, and by diet and exercise I will end up with good health biometrics, which is the ultimate reward.
I do not think short term targets are important.
With the new Law giving people up to 50% discounts on health insurance, for good numbers, we may be headed in the right direction.
Many years ago I had a company with 40 office workers, and the cleaning lady told me how hard it was to keep the drapes clean , because of the smokers. I offered $25.00 a month if everybody quit smoking. there were nine smokers, and in three months they all quit. But I had a company Christmas party and after two drinks someone asked me "Are we still at work?
Bottom line of the nine, three did quit permanently
Since many companies are self insured, the improvement in the health of their employees will fall directly to the bottom line.
And they will be sensitive to the health of their new employees
BMI is only one measure out of four.
The biggest problem is that the food companies have adopted the moral compass of the tobacco industry, by putting their profits ahead of their customer's health. As pointed out by book Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss
And hospitals and doctors make NO money on healthy people.
But many cardiologists are vegans
flabingo

Postby Adgie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 pm

very very true and great points.

I guess for me the ultimate goal is looking skinny and helping animals.
Adgie

Postby frozenveg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 am

It's hard to take your question seriously, since it's so full of contradictions. Your subject line says one thing (15 pounds), but your question says another (8 pounds); you say you don't like sweets, but then you say you put half a cup of barbecue sauce on your rice. And since you're so close to your goal, your question is kind of patently ridiculous. The answer is probably no.

However, seriously, you can lose weight if you follow the principles of this way of eating. That is, starches in relatively whole form(1/3 to 1/2 of your plate), veggies on the rest of the plate, leaving room for 1 cup of legumes a day, and no more than 2 fruits a day. Keep active daily, and avoid salt, oil and sugar. You will lose the weight your body needs to lose. Whether it's a month, 6 months, or a year, who cares? You will learn to enjoy the vibrant good health it brings, and you won't be hungry all the time! In the meantime, you can help animals by volunteering at the local shelter!

Face it, you are already "skinny"--eat well and start enjoying your life!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Adgie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Yikes....
A bullet point of the Maximum Weightloss book is
"Lose 15 pounds in one month"

The rest of my text contains concerns i have in am concerns i have in reaching my goal.
Adgie

Postby frozenveg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Adgie wrote:Yikes....
A bullet point of the Maximum Weightloss book is
"Lose 15 pounds in one month"

The rest of my text contains concerns i have in am concerns i have in reaching my goal.

Yes, but take that quote in the spirit and context it was written. If you are very heavy, you can lose that in a month. With 8 pounds to go, it is different.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 am

It says "Lose up to. . .", so if you have 100 or more pounds to lose, had recently been eating a very high calorie diet, and perform the hour of exercise a day the doctor recommends, then you may be one of the lucky ones to lose 15 pounds. He also says inside the book that even for those people, after an initial large drop, weight loss slows to around 2 pounds a week and it becomes even slower the closer you are to your goal.

If you were already eating a lower calorie diet and exercising and have just a few pounds to lose, making the change to this food plan is not going to affect your weight that dramatically.
VeggieSue

Postby seacat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Actually, this made me think back to one of the monthly newsletters from January 2005 where Dr. McDougall states that 3.5 lbs lost per week is average by following his regular program. This is about 14lbs a month. So you're not too far off at all Adgie! I am on day 5 of a restart myself and hoping to lose 2lbs per week avg. Any more than that would be super.
seacat

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program