Bunso's Daily Food Log

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bunso's Daily Food Log

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:07 am

Greetings. LTNS.

This past year has been kind of rough, physically and emotionally. Because of that, I have turned to food, and in the past six months, my exercise has dwindled to pretty much nothing. Eh, a couple of easy walks per week, the occasional (short) yoga routine. And because of THAT, I have gained weight. Mind you, I have not taken up eating animal protein, but things like added fat, and loads of simple sugar? Yeah. I've really indulged there. And I can tell, in my (lack of) energy levels. Since the beginning of summer last year, I have gained 20 lbs, and I'm back up 30 lbs from my all time low back in 2011.

So I'm getting back to basics, and here I am to post my daily foods. I want to keep things VERY simple to start. That is, I'm aiming for starch and greens at every meal, and that's about it. I'm between paychecks right now, so my greens are not abundant, but I have starches so...I also aim to keep the seasonings simple. I need to reboot my appetite, and my tastebuds are jaded with all the freaking sugar so, I'm going to simplify the flavors as much as possible.

Yesterday I cooked up five cups of grain and will use that as the foundation of my meals until it is gone. Then I want sweet potatoes. I will get some next time I go grocery shopping, and some broccoli. I also have some lentil/grain soup frozen. I'll thaw that and use it this week.

B: rice/quinoa blend and saute'd cabbage with a little soy sauce and garlic powder
L: stir fry over rice/quinoa
D: same as lunch
S: 120 calories of dark chocolate (yes, I am going to consume chocolate. It is a very high quality, fair trade 85% cacao organic and six little squares equals 120 calories.)

Note on the chocolate: I work at a tedious job, sitting at a desk taking calls. It's actually a very cool service for hearing impaired people, but it is BORRRRRINNNNGGGGG. And near the end of my shift, after lunch break perhaps, a treat literally boosts my morale and makes it possible to finish the job with good cheer. So that's how it's going to be. And, looking at the label, this chocolate has 5g of fiber per serving. That is what I look for, when checking labels for fiber content of foods. So...and it is the fiber in chocolate, interacting with bacteria in the gut, that provides the benefits. Right? ;) http://www.thealternativedaily.com/dark-chocolate-gut-final-verdict/ this link has a little bit of pop science info I thought was interesting.

My energy levels really are low right now. A combination of illness at the turn of the year, plus just being lethargic and lazy and yes'm, I am plum out of shape. I expect turning the eating around will restore the energy, and I'm looking forward to getting more active naturally and OF NECESSITY (to burn off the energy).

My desire for this post/thread is to get my mind back in the game. I need to turn it around, and keeping track here will help.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Bunso's Daily Food Log

Postby Trish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Great start... and you know that in a few weeks at most, your energy will have changed... look for the changes each day so you don't miss them... heavy emotional challenges can derail the most dedicated person sometimes. Were you able to remain primarily plant based or did you incorporate animal products or flesh in this time of being "off"?

If you did, then the change in energy will be even more noticible.

One feedback, I encourage you to include legumes in your meals... maybe half legumes and half the grain you would have used, so half the plate starch in that way. The protein and kind of fiber works for us.

Best.. keep us updated!

Trish
Trish

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 pm

hi trish...

animal protein. I had a sliver of turkey meat at T'giving, but not any other meat at all, and I've had eggs once a month or so since mid summer I guess.

I know this is going to turn me around. I'm actually excited about it. It's been a while since I've had my head in the game. But I'll never go back to being a regular consumer of flesh. blch. it even smells bad in the grocery store.

as for legumes, TOTALLY! Garbanzo beans are my favorite food. Ever. I can eat them straight out of the...well, I cook my own and freeze them so straight out of the Ziploc bag ;) Right now, I am really craving the greens and starches. I've got a couple cups of garbanzos in the fridge. I made a huge batch of lentil/grain soup a few weeks ago and froze a gallon of it, that is thawing. Yes. Legumes will be part of my regimen. :)

thanks for the response.

blessings, Heidi
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby frozenveg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:51 am

Hey, Buns! I have missed you! I want to welcome you back, and you know you are doing the best thing! I look forward to your posts!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:53 am

Frozenveg! great seeing you :)

TODAY'S FOOD:

B: oatmeal with banana and berries cooked in, some rice syrup and cinnamon stirred in
L: ooops....shrove tuesday, so I'm making pancakes. They will be whole grain, they will not be MWL.
D: lentil grain soup (I'll have saltines with this, not on MWL)
S: a little bit of chocolate

I get paid on Friday so I'll buy some greens, stock up on garbanzo's, and of course some yams and sweet potatoes.

Broccoli. I am craving broccoli.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby sksamboots » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Looks good! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:40 am

Okay, yesterday's pancakes are out of the way. I told my boyfriend (who is not and will not be vegan or even vegetarian) that I'm going to be simplifying. He is a terrific cook, and makes a mean bean soup...with hamhocks. So I pick out the meat, but I think the fat from the hamhock gets all in through the beans so...no more of that.

Feeling good. The scale showed a four lb drop in one day...whatever. I know it is because I overindulged badly for Valentine's Day and my weight was artificially up. However...even with that, I am still over the "obese" mark for my height, which I hate. I know it will turn around.

B: oatmeal with the works
L: miso soup with veggies and rice (I might make noodles. I love noodles)
D: lentil and grain soup like last night
S: dark chocolate

Yesterday's pancakes at noon held me over very nicely until dinner time. I wasn't really hungry, but that's when lunch was, so that's when I ate. Hmmm, wonder what would happen if I skipped dinner, especially when they schedule me for freaking 5:00 pm. that's pretty early. Would I perish of starvation if I didn't eat dinner at work, and had something really light during my break? Or nothing during my break and let my stomach really empty out?

Hmmm. Maybe me be in charge of my stomach instead of the other way round?

anyway. Enjoying being "in the game" again.

blessings Heidi
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:43 am

Happy Chinese New Year: Year of the Goat

Today's food:
B:oatmeal with berries, cocoa, brown sugar, cinnamon
L: Not sure yet. Lentil and grain soup?
D: miso vegetable soup over rice
S: chocolate

Yesterday I ate miso veggie soup over rice noodles, so so delicious. I just love noodles, and since they are low on the calorie density scale, I don't feel too bad about them, However as a flour product, they are excluded from MWL so I'm going to phase them out. Or maybe just not buy more when they run out.

Tomorrow is payday and I'm still craving yams and broccoli so that's what I've got planned for meals tomorrow. It just sounds SO good. That used to be my lunch every day: a yam microwaved with some soy sauce and garlic powder, with steam broccoli. Time to get back to that.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program