Looking for support & accountability

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Looking for support & accountability

Postby Suz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:26 am

Hi all, I've been a McDougall follower off & on for many years. I did Mary's Mini in December & lost 9 lbs. in 10 days so I felt like I was off to a good start. I have never understood why but I always do very well starting off with this plan, then little things start creeping in & I start falling back. In the past I kept to myself, didn't reach out for support, but I'm changing that. I've been following Dr. McDougall's boards & Facebook group for awhile now & you all are the best! There is such open, honest communication & everyone supports one another. I'm excited to be here!
Suz

Re: Looking for support & accountability

Postby Banana127 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi Suz- I'm in the same place as you! I've read and followed here for awhile. Restarted low fat whole foods eating about a month ago, and have decided that reaching out for support and supporting others is what I need to do differently so that this turns into a forever commitment not just the next few weeks.

I have lost about 9 pounds so far and have 60 to go. I'm committing to a year to digently work towards my goal which seems totally reasonable. 5 pounds a month on average.

Why do we let little things creep in? Because that is the path of least resistance. It's easy. I'm not trying to be perfect from the get go this time. The goal is to lose and maintain not just lose. So if I want to have avocado and maybe a few tablespoons of cashews in a sauce once or twice a week, I will have it. I'm doing a zillions times better than I was a month ago. And next month will be even better.

Good luck to you!
Banana127

Postby Suz » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Banana127, Thanks for your reply. You make a good point with the goal being to lose & maintain. I know what to do to lose the weight so now I need to add to that the skills I need to maintain that loss. I have a strong history of heart disease in my family so I'm choosing to not have the added fat in avocados & nuts, which I do love, but for now...not for me.
Best of luck to you also. I look forward to hearing more from you :)
Suz

Postby homeschool » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:03 am

Hi I'm looking to loose 15 pounds in the next 10 weeks
homeschool

Postby roundcoconut » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:58 am

Suz and Banana and homeschool,

Just wanted to say a quick hello!

Suz, when I first read your post, i didn't really know what to say, because it wasn't clear to me whether you were looking for individuals to private-message about your day-to-day eating. (If you are looking for someone for that function, you will probably find takers. It is not commonly done here, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be useful!)

All of you -- Of course, you can always use these forums openly for support also. What behaviors do you need us to support and encourage? Tell us about your successes and the things that you've been doing right! We'll be happy to give a round of applause.

Be bold. Start threads and let people get to know you. That's how this works best. Find the support before you come up against any difficulties -- that way your support network is in place before tough times come.

Anyways, welcome! We're here to support you, I swear.
roundcoconut

Postby Suz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Roundcoconut,
Thanks for your reply. I am not looking for PM's nor do I feel the need to post my meals...not at this point anyway :)
I've been lurking in the background, following these boards for a long time & now it feels like the time to jump in & get more active with the folks out here in McDougall Land, as it feels necessary.
I look forward to hearing more from you on these boards & wish you much success!
Suz

Postby frozenveg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Welcome Suz, Banana and Homeschool! We're so glad you all decided to make yourselves known and look for support! This is a very friendly community, and this site is so full of information! I still after 5 years haven't finished exploring it all! You will find what you need here! Keep us posted on your progress and reach out when you need help, answers, or just kidding around! :D
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Suz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi frozenveg,
Thanks for your reply. I've always liked following your posts. You have much to teach & I have much to learn:)
I agree that there is so much information on this site, both from the posts on the boards & the valuable information that Dr. McDougall & his staff share with us.
Have you been to one of the 3 day or 10 day events that they have? I would love to have that experience sometime...getting together with such great educators as well as meeting many of the people on these boards! It's on my bucket list:)
Have a great day!
Suz

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program