Hi Friends! Just need some accountability.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hi Friends! Just need some accountability.

Postby Emily » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:55 pm

I've been McDougalling for 6 years now and love the results. But I've been making little exceptions (on oil) lately. The exceptions have crept into bigger ones and I don't feel as well as I used to. I want to nip this in the bud, but attempting it without accountability hasn't been very effective.

I got to a healthy weight, but never to one of those BMIs in the lower range with their pleasing health statistics.

It would be fun to get there, but I mostly want to get back to feeling better.

My point is, I'm introducing myself and plan to join the February MWL thread (it doesn't seem to exist quite yet, but I presume it will).

So, hi, and I'm glad you're all here. :)
Emily

Re: Hi Friends! Just need some accountability.

Postby Jeepsterhound » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:26 am

Welcome Emily. These boards are a nice place to come and remind yourself to stick with it! :)
Jeepsterhound

Postby Emily » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:32 am

Thanks for your encouragment, Jeepsterhound! I didn't expect much response to my post because I didn't give any dramatic personal saga (which is what human beings find interesting, but which I find overwhelming when I share on the internet). So I appreciate your welcoming response even though my post was dry. I plan to start an equally boring journal on the journal forum. :)

How's your own McDougall program going?
Emily

Postby Jeepsterhound » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 am

Hey Emily, I appreciate the lack of drama in your post. I was a McDougaller 20 years ago, lost 50 ponds, and never felt better. Gradually I went back to many of my bad habits, gained back 40 pounds, and didn't feel so great any more. I started back last year and since November been very compliant and am losing weight and feeling good again. It was tough being the only one I know doing this. The support from these boards and the McDougall Facebook groups has been a big help. I was even fortunate enough to meet some people in real life! I hope it helps you too.
Jeepsterhound

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:56 am

Welcome, Emily! I too find the boards help with accountability and for the first time since I joined in 2006 am actually posting a bit. Various attempts in the past have met with mixed success, but I'm enjoying this more and feeling less isolated thanks to the boards. Otherwise, it feels isolated if you're the only one at home eating a certain way, not eating all the treats etc.
Mike

Start: 13 Dec 2014, 126.9 kg
Target: XX XXX 2015/6, 73.1 kg (BMI = 21.75)
Current: 104.8 kg
Mike

Postby frozenveg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:31 am

Hi Emily! Yes, those exceptions will get you every time! The only reason they do is because they keep getting more frequent until they aren't "occasions," they are the norm! Been there, done that! I always feel better when I pull back from whatever exception I've been making (regular corn chips, wine, too much bread)! Keep coming back here, and you will find support as well as accountability! 8)
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Emily » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Jeepsterhound, I'm glad to hear you're having success! I don't really have many people around eating this way, but luckily, I have supportive friends who are always trying to do their own self-improvement plans, so they understand. I'm glad you're getting support from the board! It's awesome that you've met people in real life, too. Thanks for your encouragement! I look forward to reading more about your success. :-D

Mike, (I like your short name like mine - I realized at a certain point that I might be able to get my first name alone, and it worked!), it CAN be hard being the one not having the treats. People are typically supportive, but I'm not going to ask them to eat different things than they normally would for me. It's lovely that they are willing to go out of their way to eat at places I can find compliant food. I hope you have great success! This program definitely has a great effect when you're compliant. Good luck, and thanks for your reply.

Thanks, frozenveg, I know: it really does get a person every time when exceptions start creeping in. That's why the holidays are hard. I typically do eat compliant meals for holidays, but richer, fancier ones than I normally eat, and then I think, "Yum, that richer-than-normal meal was lovely. Maybe I could have another one." The holidays like that came this year when I was already slipping into less-healthy-than-normal exceptions (even when they're technically allowed, I tend to overdo it when I eat, say, corn tortillas. They just don't offer me the satiety that other things do).

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments!
Emily

Postby DWu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi all,

With all this talk about accountability, not wanting to feel isolated, and meeting people in real life, I’m curious. Have you ever considered a meetup group?

I’ve found a few, including one dedicated to John McDougall.

http://dr-john-mcdougall.meetup.com/
http://whole-foods-plant-based-diet.meetup.com/
DWu

Postby Emily » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi DWu,

I know about meetup groups, but I wouldn't say I've considered them because they're not what I'm looking for. Maybe other people are, though. It's a good suggestion for someone who is looking for in person social support. I prefer to socialize with my friends and get diet support from someplace that doesn't require me to keep track of YET MORE in person social connections. I'd probably enjoy an advanced study weekend someday, though.

Be well, and I hope you find what you're seeking.

Best,
Emily
Emily

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program