I am mindblown

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I am mindblown

Postby Ragman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:06 am

I started the MWLP on the twenty second, jumping in immediately - I had been weighed that day, and I hit 354. Being a teraparesic in a power wheelchair makes losing weight darn near impossible, or so is the generally accepted view. I started this program with no particular hope - I have been trying to lose weight for the last twenty years, but exercise is not an option, so me, and countless nutritionist, doctors and nurses had about given up on the possibility of me getting thinner. It is difficult to weigh me, and not easy to measure my gut - I say gut because that is what hides my waistline. Weighing is a once a month thing, but when I started my belly was measured - 65•7 inches. That terrified me - In 2007 I spent most of the year as a fruit eating vegan, and managed to get to 38 inches but since then, when I listened to doctors, nutritionists and nurses who told me I would kill myself eating that type of food, I have increased at an accelerating rate.

However, one week following the MWLP I find myself officially mind-blown. This morning, my attendant whipped out the tape when I was upright in the lift. On the 22nd, as I said, my measurement sat at 65•7". This morning, ten days of the program later, my measurement is 61 inches - not 61•5 or other fraction, but a genuine 61 inches. This is completely unexpected, and as I mentioned totally mind-blowing. I can't get near the scale for another 20 days, so I am expecting to be blown away again at that time.

I have eating nothing but things I forever considered fattening, and have shrunk, despite being immobile in a power chair. I shall continue to sit here, like a somewhat mobile statue, and lose weight by eating a lot.
63 years old, in a power wheelchair with no ambulant ability, and limited motion.
This typed message was produced by a Dragon dictation software system.
Ragman

Re: I am mindblown

Postby nicoles » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:53 am

That is awesome, Ragman!!! "It's the food" after all, as Dr McDougall always says :-)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:31 am

Congratulations! That is outstanding, keep up the great work.
vgpedlr

Postby Ragman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:28 am

If the work of eating well, whatever I can find in the house, is all I have to do, this will be easy.
63 years old, in a power wheelchair with no ambulant ability, and limited motion.
Ragman

Postby ronald11103 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:33 am

Ragman, welcome to the forum and this way of eating, and congratulations! Keep us updated on your progress. You could become the next "Star McDougaller"! So keep some before and after photos!
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby Jeepsterhound » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:53 am

Congratulations, Ragman, you are doing great. I look forward to hearing what your weigh in will be in 20 days. :)
Jeepsterhound

Postby Trish » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Wow.. what an experience, so unexpected!! And so needed and wanted. Dr and Mary McDougall have truly revolutionized our way of life through eating, and you are very likely to be a next star McDougaller.. a collection of people many of whom had nearly given up trying and some who never considered giving up.. but the body responds well. Thanks for sharing your first week.. I look forward to following along with you!! :thumbsup:
Trish

Postby frozenveg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:53 am

Welcome, Ragman, congratulations, and yes! You can do this--you ARE doing this! This way of eating is not only fantastic for losing weight, but you are rebuilding every cell in your body while you're doing it. Good things are happening for you! It's the food!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 am

Ragman, I also wanted to say hello and let you know that I'm so happy to hear that you've discovered a wonderful way of eating and put yourself on a wonderful, healthful path.

I love that you've had the perseverance to keep looking for a way out, making efforts toward getting out (of the health problems related to nutrition, cardiovascular health, and an overburdened body). I know so many people (younger than you) who have stopped looking, stopped trying, but deep in their hearts, still wish they could be free of their health problems. It is telling to me that you've done your time as a fruit-eating vegan (hey, we gotta start somewhere) and consulted with many nutritionists and health professionals along the way. I just like your spirit!

It is nice to have you here, and each person brings a different perspective, so if we can keep you, let's do that! Anything else you're willing to share about how your time is going, I'd be really curious to hear.

Anyway, the main point is "Rock on!"
roundcoconut

Postby atmead » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 am

That is so awesome. I'm just starting out on the MWL plan. Your results are so promising.
atmead

Postby Vegankit » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:22 am

Congratulations -------it's the food. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Ragman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:56 pm

This afternoon, after a meal of Miso Ramen soup and a butter lettuce, peppers, pickled onion, baby beetroot, and some chutney I was measured again... Today's gut size is just below 59 inches, so 58.9 or so. Still haven't been weighed, but I can move easier, so I am less heavy than I was.

I get weighed on the 25th this month.
Ragman

Postby Starchyme » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Awesome, Ragman. Keep on keeping on and keep us apprised of your journey. Happy McDougalling!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ragman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:23 pm

I have spent the last month eating like crazy, munching on the carbs and enjoying every minute of it.
Start Weight:
1/22/2015 354 lbs
2/23/2015 338 lbs
Ragman

Postby AnnieMaim » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:32 pm

That's awesome!
AnnieMaim

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program