New to MWLP/McDougall

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New to MWLP/McDougall

Postby Greg63 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:34 am

Hi All,

My name is Greg. I've been lurking a bit for the last week and thought it'd be nice idea to introduce myself on this part of the forum as my aim is to be following MWLP to release the fat that has accumulated on this half a century old body.

I've read both The Starch Solution and the Maximum Weight Loss books and was not sure that this would be something for me. However, after reading some of the success stories, reading some of the personal journals, and doing a trial week of mostly compliant MLWP meals last week, I think this will work for me. I'm honestly relieved that that I don't have to eat beans/legumes as they have never held much attraction for me, but always loved rice, potatoes, squashes, and other starch-based vegetables and grains. And I like the "stricter" subset of this WoE as it allows es plenty of variety, but limits possible trigger foods such as bread and pasta.

I have always have been heavy set, big boned, husky all of my life (i.e, overweight) , so I haven't a clue how much I really need to lose. Around Thanksgiving this year I was at my heaviest weight of 260 pounds at 6'1" (185cm). I think my lowest adult weight was 180, but I was still chubby. At the moment I think a fit, more muscular 190 would suit me, but I'll have to see how I feel/look when I get closer and adjust. So, I'll go with a even amount of 60 pounds as I started on Saturday at 252.8.

Cheers!
Greg
Greg63

Re: New to MWLP/McDougall

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 am

Welcome, Greg!

Isn't it nice to love the food you're eating? :lol: Your list of foods looks great. Not sure if you include sweet potatoes as a subset of potatoes, but if not, perhaps you can check them out as they are another tasty option.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!
PeripateticDanielle

Postby cena » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:27 am

Welcome Greg! I, too, want to lose weight. I have been toying with plant based eating for a couple years, then a gallbladder attack over a year ago made me a non-cheater. Over the last year I have lost 50 pounds. I have 50 to 60 more to lose, but the bread and pasta are holding me back, as my weight loss has stalled for a few months. So, I am on this MWLP forum to ramp up to do it stricter. I don't think it will be a problem, except that I cook for my family too. It's almost just a matter of remembering not to eat the bread. This way of eating is great because of all the starches. It is tasty and filling .Check out Novick's soups. Easy and tasty.
cena

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Greg63 wrote:I have always have been heavy set, big boned, husky all of my life (i.e, overweight) , so I haven't a clue how much I really need to lose. Around Thanksgiving this year I was at my heaviest weight of 260 pounds at 6'1" (185cm). I think my lowest adult weight was 180, but I was still chubby. At the moment I think a fit, more muscular 190 would suit me, but I'll have to see how I feel/look when I get closer and adjust. So, I'll go with a even amount of 60 pounds as I started on Saturday at 252.8.

Cheers!
Greg

Close. According to BMI charts, 190 lb swould put you at the lower end of the "overweight" range. A better goal would be 175 lbs.

In addition to periodically reviewing the MWL protocols, I HIGHLY recommend reading the threads on calorie density in Jeff's forum, as calorie density is the principle which makes MWL work. I also highly recommend getting Jeff's DVD on calorie density. It is the best explanation, full stop.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
vgpedlr

Postby DWu » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:29 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
Greg63 wrote:I have always have been heavy set, big boned, husky all of my life (i.e, overweight) , so I haven't a clue how much I really need to lose. Around Thanksgiving this year I was at my heaviest weight of 260 pounds at 6'1" (185cm). I think my lowest adult weight was 180, but I was still chubby. At the moment I think a fit, more muscular 190 would suit me, but I'll have to see how I feel/look when I get closer and adjust. So, I'll go with a even amount of 60 pounds as I started on Saturday at 252.8.

Cheers!
Greg

Close. According to BMI charts, 190 lb swould put you at the lower end of the "overweight" range. A better goal would be 175 lbs.

In addition to periodically reviewing the MWL protocols, I HIGHLY recommend reading the threads on calorie density in Jeff's forum, as calorie density is the principle which makes MWL work. I also highly recommend getting Jeff's DVD on calorie density. It is the best explanation, full stop.

Hi Greg63,

Welcome! As vgpedlr mentioned, here's one of the helpful resources on calorie density.

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ition.html

Good luck!
DWu

Postby Greg63 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks, eveyrone! I also love sweet potatoes, but was on another plan for a while, and they were getting a little bit tired. Taking a break from them for bit. However, I just discovered kale, and loving that! I haven't gotton around to Jeff's forum yet, so thank you for reminding me to go have a look. I did see one short youtube clip on calorie density, and found in interesting. Not a big soup fan, but open to trying as a means to round things out whilst I unround my body :D . You may be right on the 75 pounds, when family and friends saw me the at 180 my parents were scared that I had something horribly wrong with me, my friends at the time thought I looked great. 75 pounds to release sounds like a lot, but I have been up to 250 for way too long now, so am used to being large.

I appreciate the comments and feedback. Do you all have journals and did you find that helplful as additional support?
Greg63

Postby frozenveg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:01 am

Greg63, you will be very glad if you start a journal here. For one thing, it will be a way to look back and track your progress, and to see what you used to feel like and how much better things have gotten! It's easy to forget frustration and discouragement, but it's also easy to forget that what you have accomplished (are going to accomplish) is a wonderful thing! It isn't a bad idea to keep a weight loss chart, too, to show your progress, especially if you feel like you hit a plateau at some point. When you look back you will be very heartened!

The second reason a journal may help you is that people like to visit the journals and give feedback! Everyone here is so generous and encouraging, and I find this entire forum--not just the journal forum--to be the best support group I have every experienced. Full of ideas, tips, insights and just plain spirit-boosting!

Welcome, and let's get going on your weight loss and trip to vibrant good health! I'm jealous--you started 10 years earlier than I did! Enjoy every year!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Greg63 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:14 am

Have started officially today with a journal! Yay! :-D
Greg63

Postby HappyLeo » Mon May 04, 2015 5:56 pm

vgpedlr wrote:

Cheers!
Greg

BMI charts are notoriously controversial b/c they don't take into account muscle mass, so you end up with extremely healthy, heavily muscled people in the "obese" category, which makes zero sense. :eek:

My cousin is an extremely healthy whole plant foods vegan, and very muscular from working out (and being an outdoors sportsman - hiking, biking, etc.) and at 6'1, 205 he looks (and feels) FANTASTIC, with perfect blood labs and blood pressure to show for it. In college he went on some crazy diet and got down to about 180 and looked anorexic and ill! Everyone is built differently, is my point.

So, I would not get stuck on a number regarding weight. There are just too many other factors involved.

Anyway - so happy you are here, Greg - I'm a newbie as well and so it's always nice to meet another person starting the journey as well! :-D

Although I will weigh in now and then - I'm using measurements (bust, waist, abdomen, hip, thigh, upper arm), clothing size, pain levels (I have RA), and blood work/blood pressure as my indicators. Do you have any lab work to compare result with later down the road?

In any case - welcome and best of luck, I think this is going to be a lot of fun! Peace and health to you! :-D
HappyLeo

Postby vgpedlr » Mon May 04, 2015 7:52 pm

HappyLeo wrote:BMI charts are notoriously controversial b/c they don't take into account muscle mass, so you end up with extremely healthy, heavily muscled people in the "obese" category, which makes zero sense. :eek:

I am referring to BMI in the same context that Jeff does here, in regards to overall longevity. It may not matter as much what the mass consists of, just how much there is. Please see the threads on his forum for clarification.
vgpedlr

Postby HappyLeo » Mon May 04, 2015 11:07 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
HappyLeo wrote:BMI charts are notoriously controversial b/c they don't take into account muscle mass, so you end up with extremely healthy, heavily muscled people in the "obese" category, which makes zero sense. :eek:

I am referring to BMI in the same context that Jeff does here, in regards to overall longevity. It may not matter as much what the mass consists of, just how much there is. Please see the threads on his forum for clarification.

I've seen them already, thanks though! :)
HappyLeo

Postby Greg63 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 am

Thanks for welcome, HappyLeo. Are you keeping a journal here?

I have also read Jeff's posts on BMI in terms of longevity and it's interesting information. I've set an initial goal of 185 pounds and will re-evaluate as I meet or get close to it. I haven't been that weight for a very, very, very long time, so it's something to aim for, not to obsess over. Will take BMI as a factor, as well as body measurements, as factors. As long as I feel great and look great, I'll be happy.
Greg63

Postby HappyLeo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:17 am

Greg63 wrote:Thanks for welcome, HappyLeo. Are you keeping a journal here?

I have also read Jeff's posts on BMI in terms of longevity and it's interesting information. I've set an initial goal of 185 pounds and will re-evaluate as I meet or get close to it. I haven't been that weight for a very, very, very long time, so it's something to aim for, not to obsess over. Will take BMI as a factor, as well as body measurements, as factors. As long as I feel great and look great, I'll be happy.

Hey Greg! I think you've got a healthy attitude about it - I think when we obsess over numbers (I say this from personal experience - myself and others I have known) it can manifest in a lot of anxiety about whatever diet/WOE someone is on, which can ultimately backfire - so I try to avoid that. Like you, I'll reassess when I'm down to the size I had when I was the healthiest, and then I will reassess.

I have not started a journal here (I keep a written food log in a notebook to look for patterns, etc.), but that's a great idea, thanks!

Best of luck to you, and peace and health to you on your journey! :-)
HappyLeo

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program