Maximum Weight Loss Resource

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maximum Weight Loss Resource

Postby DWu » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:29 am

Hi all,

Over the past 6 months or so, I’ve both learned a lot about, and personally experienced the health benefits of a plant-based diet. And gratefully, a lot of what I’ve learned came from resources on this site, including the Free McDougall Program, the Color Picture Book, Dr. McDougall’s newsletters, and the forum posts you all have contributed to.

As such, I wanted to create and share a free resource of my own in an attempt to help others. It’s adapted from the Maximum Weight Loss Program. While the Guidelines thread has lots of good, basic information, I wanted to expand on it. I’ve included a list of compliant foods, simple cooking tips, ways to add flavor, and a sample menu plan.

And I’m still trying to improve it so that people will find value in it. Would you let me know what you think? Do you find any value in it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y9blg7c5cm8v27/Weight%20Loss%20Kickstart.docx?dl=0

Also, what do you think would make this better?

Pictures of the allowed foods
A larger list of allowed foods
Something else?

Is this something you would share with your plant-based friends?

Looking forward to getting your advice,
Darren
DWu

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Resource

Postby DWu » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 pm

LynnCS wrote:Have you read "The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss" book? That covers it pretty well and is very clear. Lots of people have read it and find great value in it.

Oh, and lots of recipes in the back. Yum!

Thanks Lynn.

I do have the book, and am in the process of reading it. I've found great value in what I've read thus far too. My aim was to create a shorter, free guide based on its principles for people who don't have the time to read the book, or may not want to purchase it.

Are you saying that you'd find more recipes helpful?
DWu

Postby Morris » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:32 am

I like your format because it is easy to read, but found the credit to Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss missing.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Trish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Darren, this is a really good summation on just a few pages.. excellent for simplicity. Truthfully, many people are a bit overwhelmed by the vast amount of good information in the Maximum Weight Loss book (I was not one of them, eating plant-based for a number of years, but friends, husband.. they ask for a simple program all laid out...) and this gives the simplicity of few choices to make.

I think this is really great for beginners to this way of losing weight.. even those who are standard McDougallers.

What would make it better for me is to include a few recipes for toppings for potatoes, salad dressings.. in addition to the spices suggested.

Also.. when you say "arugula" for example, do you mean a salad? Or do you mean a hunk of lettuce, period?

If the latter, then it's ok as is. I think it is an odd thing for the average person to think about eating raw lettuce alone... do you?

If you mean a salad, maybe specify.. "mushrooms, cucumber, carrots, etc" I know you have already said it above in approved veggies, but again for beginners starting out that might make a real difference, especially those who DO want a "thinking free" program to get started.

Thanks for your effort and for sharing this resource, I will keep it on hand!
Trish

Postby DWu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 am

Trish wrote:Darren, this is a really good summation on just a few pages.. excellent for simplicity. Truthfully, many people are a bit overwhelmed by the vast amount of good information in the Maximum Weight Loss book (I was not one of them, eating plant-based for a number of years, but friends, husband.. they ask for a simple program all laid out...) and this gives the simplicity of few choices to make.

I think this is really great for beginners to this way of losing weight.. even those who are standard McDougallers.

What would make it better for me is to include a few recipes for toppings for potatoes, salad dressings.. in addition to the spices suggested.

Also.. when you say "arugula" for example, do you mean a salad? Or do you mean a hunk of lettuce, period?

If the latter, then it's ok as is. I think it is an odd thing for the average person to think about eating raw lettuce alone... do you?

If you mean a salad, maybe specify.. "mushrooms, cucumber, carrots, etc" I know you have already said it above in approved veggies, but again for beginners starting out that might make a real difference, especially those who DO want a "thinking free" program to get started.

Thanks for your effort and for sharing this resource, I will keep it on hand!

Thank you for the feedback Trish!

I’ll go ahead and work on adding recipes for potato toppings and salad dressings.

I also received comments from a reader about experiencing excessive gas while starting this plan, so I’ll add tips on how to reduce these experiences.

Regarding the arugula, I was referring to the hunk of lettuce. Perhaps the section I add on salad dressings could apply to dressings for all vegetables. Or maybe I can add a specific section on salad recipes. What do you think?

Stay tuned.
DWu

Postby DWu » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:49 am

Hey all,

As mentioned, I've just updated the weight-loss resource.

It now includes a few recipes for potato toppings, salad dressings, and tips on how to reduce excessive gas.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f0pzrn09pxo8c5/MWL.docx?dl=0
DWu

Postby seacat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:31 pm

This really looks good, but don't forget to add corn to the list of starches!
seacat

Postby frozenveg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:02 am

Yes, the starch list is a little bare. There's barley, wheat berries, buckwheat (kasha), and the oatmeal you mentioned for breakfast. You might want to say "winter squash" in the list, too, because zucchini and summer squashes are not starches, but part of the green-and-yellow group. So keep on adding to your lists of food, I think, because lots of people will get their ideas from there!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby DWu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 am

Thanks for the feedback seacat and frozenveg!

I've added your suggestions to the list of starches.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1hhercwf6veps6/MWL.docx?dl=0
DWu

Postby frozenveg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:38 am

Pretty good--it's starting to come together. However, you need to pay attention to consistency throughout the piece. Your list of vegetables pretty short; and your first recipes call for vegetables that weren't in your list--mushrooms, sweet peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, and so on. (I've always felt a little annoyed that the list Dr. M has on the 10-day free program doesn't include just a massive list of all the possible veggies, for inspiration and ammunition!)

So you might want to make 2 veggie lists--one for the leafy greens--which I think you were heading toward with your existing list, until you veered off with celery and carrots--and then a list of the others. Or maybe 3 lists--leafy greens; "recipe essentials" like onion, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, green onion; and "all the other veggies," which you could make as long (thorough) or as general as you feel would be helpful to a newbie.

Also, true to my name, be sure to mention that both fresh and frozen--and no-salt-added canned--veggies are acceptable on the plan. And on the other hand, warn them to make sure there is no added sugar or oil in any packaged veggies. Keep in mind that most people coming to your resource are going to be total newbies, BUT with lots of pre-formed notions from all over the spectrum; some feeling that only fresh is allowed, some thinking that they'll have to learn to like tofu, and some just wondering how they'll live without 2 Snickers a day.

In answer to your original post--pictures are always nice, and appealing. So give some thought to that--but wait until you are sure that your text is completely done before inserting pictures.

And I would highly recommend that you give a bit more credit to Dr. McDougall at the head of this resource. Two reasons: you are using his plan, and people will be confused with the lone quote from someone they may not have heard of:
And as Dr.
McDougall says, “The fat you eat is the fat you wear.”
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program