Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

Postby Nean » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 am

Well, Friday ended up being almost a half day sitting in restaurants. Wish I could say that I kept entirely to my salad with salsa, but it was not true. And my curry dinner was a restaurant meal too, so SAD.

Yesterday was clean eat day 1, although not entirely a Mary's Mini. I felt so much better already. (although my evening GERD was HORRIBLE!) My starches were potatoes and those easy to grab and crunch dried garbanzo beans. They are 100% bean, cooked and then commercially dried. A very calorie rich survival food rather than a primary starch. My goal is to substitute potatoes for the beans and eat more green and colorful vegies.

Saturday
B: berries and potato
L: big restaurant salad including 5 olives, two slices of avocado, salsa
S: sweet potato
D: vegies and potato
S: garbanzo beans (chi chi's)

Spent some time yesterday reading Marla's chronometer experiment, watching Doug Lisle (loose weight without loosing your mind) and reviewing Forks over Knives. It was nice to really hear Doug say that my body is not broken. My body can find it's way to a healthy weight automatically if I fuel it correctly. (greens first, vegies second, starch last at each meal is Doug's recommendation)
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby ajhondrngal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Husband and I decided to recommit and work together so I'm starting over.

Day 1
B: rice, rice milk, sugar/cinn, banana
L: potatoes
D: rice and veggie stir fry

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby kmills » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:11 am

Can split peas be my starch? I'd like to make split pea soup and have it a few days, need ultra simple and don't have enough potatoes to get through, but have enough to make a batch of the soup that has some potato in it
kmills

Postby ajhondrngal » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:28 am

kmills, that sounds like a plan to me. Happy eating!

Here's day 2. I don't know what and how husband is doing. He eats rice with me at breakfast and then eats leftovers at work and the dinner I prepare at home. Whether or not he stays out of the candy dishes around work is up to him.

Day 2
L: potatoes
D: potatoes, bean and corn topping, carrots

Day 3: (planning ahead)
L: rice, beans, salad
D: Spanish rice, beans, broccoli and cauliflower

ajhondrngal

Postby ajhondrngal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Day 4:
L: Spanish rice, salad, strawberries
D: vegetable soup

ajhondrngal

Postby luvmyveggies » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi guys! I'm back, if you are still going Mary Mini strong, I would like to join again. I will start on Monday as I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Not to sure if I will do potatoes or brown rice. I have lots of both. Sometimes potatoes are easier than rice and sometimes rice is easier.... we will see. I'm at a new job so I will probably pick what's best to bring for lunches. Also I found this fabulous green drink that I will have for breakfast along with my starch. It has as all kinds of veggies, spirulina and aloe vera juice in it.
Have a fabulous weekend!
luvmyveggies

Postby ajhondrngal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 pm

Great to see you, lovemyveggies.

I'm still going. Just started again this week. Today is day 6. I didn't report yesterday cause I seemed to be the only one here, but I've been on track.
Last edited by ajhondrngal on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajhondrngal

Postby luvmyveggies » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I had a bunch of plain red potatoes today and I am not sure I want to continue though. I am really wanting more variety and not sure I have the motivation to eat the same thing. I will do a MM again, just needing a bigger break. Thinking I will just follow the MWL plan for now.
luvmyveggies

Postby vegmamaof4 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 pm

I'd like to do a MM if anyone is still around....
vegmamaof4

Postby tulips » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Wait for me I'm coming tooooooo! (channels 4 yr old daughter)

My starch will be oatmeal. I use blended pinto beans as an ingredient in my veggie sauce but I think it's too dilute and insubstantial per serving to qualify as anything but a condiment. Other than that it's cooked veggies and 2 servings of fruit.
tulips

Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:33 am

I'm happy to join in this challenge, Mary. I've been vegetarian, nearly vegan, for 3 years now. It's a process of change. I'm MUCH healthier now except I haven't lost the weight other than the 1st 10 lbs or so. NOW I'm reading The Starch Solution, and have already lost 3 lbs. I am not sticking to just one starch though. I do limit the variety of what I eat - simplicity and ease, plus it's working for me. My 1st goal is to lose 17 more lbs. Stay there, and assess another 10. I LOVE eating this way. Thanks~! :-D :mrgreen:
deweyswakms

Postby Pcrispell » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:47 pm

I just learned about Mary's mini. This may be exactly what I need. My weight isn't bad, but I was shocked when I measured my waist this morning. It's 5" too big. My starting weight is 130# with 26% body fat and BMI is 22.3. I would not mind being closer to 120# with 22% body fat and 21 BMI.
My starch will be rice.
Pcrispell

Postby jade » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 am

It's August 20. Is anyone interested in joining me for a 10-day challenge? :)
jade

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Maggie,

I'm in! I am going to start tomorrow morning and plan on continuing until one week from next Sunday - so actually, I am planning on a 14 day MM.

My starch will be potatoes (cooked a variety of ways - today I tied mashing nuked baked potatoes and they made great mashers). I will add any veggies that I feel like eating along with my raw veggies that I eat during work with a hummus no oil dip - which will be my only bean starch. I will eat 2-3 fruits a day (usually a banana and some grapes during the work week with an occasional fruit in the evening.

I have been wanting to try this and am looking forward to the simplicity and the straight-forward menu this provides for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for starting this up again and I have picked up everything I need for the week.

Are you ready to go?

Karen
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby Fodus54 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Is anyone on this now or interested in starting? I am giving it a go tomorrow. Stocked up on potatoes and frozen veggies. My plan is roasted "french fried" potatoes (no oil, cooked on parchment till crisp) for breakfast with 1/2 banana. Lunch, baked potato with steamed veggies and some hot sauce, dinner mashed potatoes with black bean chili I made today. An apple mid-day for snack.
should my husband eat more than me? (I'm 5'2 and weigh 145 lbs and my husband is 5'6 and weighs about 190.
Thanks for you help and join us!
Fodus54

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program