All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby Wild4Stars » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I love my Rival Crock-Pot. I have the big oval one. I can't answer the question about cost comparison, but I have always been told that the crock pots use very little power.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Key Tones » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm not sure if you really want to buy a crock pot just for this. Maybe borrow one from a friend to see if you like it first. My local Goodwill charges too much for a used one vs. the large online store (you know who). Some of the popular six quart ones are less than $30 and some 4 quart ones are less than $20. Goodwill near my house charges almost this much for older looking ones so beware!

I tire of the roasted flavor of the crock after a few times, then switch to boiling, then bake (potatoes explode in the oven, even if forking the first), then microwave, then back to the crock pot....

I love the crock pot for taking casseroles to potlucks. It will come in handy in the summer when I don't want to turn on the oven.

Anyway, I like my large oval one. I didn't think I would like the programming feature (not my idea), but if you want to cook something then have it switch to warm, it is easy and a nice feature to have vs. having food turn to much if you can't get to it in time.
Key Tones

Postby Jenna » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm

I have heard that Hamilton Beach is the only crockpot that doesn't have lead. I have gotten a Hamilton Beacu 5qt (I think) crockpot with a locking lid from Bed Bath and Beyond for $30 and then 20% off on top of that, so somewhere around $25 with tax. You can also make rice and soup easily in a crockpot. We save a lot of money on a/c in the summer by using our crockpot to cook.
Jenna

Postby Wild4Stars » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 am

I love my crock pot and use it frequently for beans, soups, stews. All this talk about lead was freaking me out. I found a blog where a woman took several brands and colors (mine included) and had them tested. No lead was found.

http://www.terminalverbosity.com/2009/11/09/the-skinny-on-lead-in-crock-pots-it-may-surprise-you/

Seems the FDA in all it's wisdom considers a certain amount of lead as "safe" without even knowing how often I may use my crock pot. I guess the manufacturers are smarter than the FDA.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby TracyAnn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

LynnCS wrote:
TracyAnn wrote:I officially got out my crock pot and filled it with potatoes and set it on low for 8 hours. About 4 hours left. I fit about 7 pounds of potatoes in there! Hopefully enough to last a couple days!

I just have a couple of related questions, and thought you might know. I have only electric to cook with, so I was wondering if you or anyone has been able to tell if the cost of running the crock pot vs. boiling on the stove for 20/40 min. I am going to look for a used one.

What size are you using for this large amount of potatoes? Do you have a recommendation as to a best and worst brand?

I have a 6 quart crock pot and have Crock Pot brand....it works pretty well. I bought it a year ago and recently started using it more because I am eating more root vegetables for my starches than grains.

I am not sure if there are better/worse brands.
TracyAnn

Postby Key Tones » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am

Hmm. I haven't heard of the lead issue. I have the HB crockpot. It has been awesome.

Take care if you have a ceramic sink. My daughter (18) managed to bash a couple of chips in the sink doing dishes handling the giant 6 qt oval crock pot. I repaired them with something you paint on. My neighbor is in construction and told me what to do since he has a chip in his sink too.

Next sink will be stainless steel - it is what I had before. This house came with the ceramic sink.
Key Tones

Postby Key Tones » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 am

Anyone here have a really hard time losing weight?

I managed to drop about 20 pounds on the potato hack between end of January to end of March. I seem to be stuck now, but I notice I am able to eat more than I could at first.

I am thinking of limiting my eating to an 8 hour window to see if this helps.

I did kind of an odd thing - I made up my potatoes last night like hummus and brought it in to work today with carrots.
Key Tones

Postby Key Tones » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Lynn,

Wow, a fast 40 - I've never had that. That is great.

I usually don't lose very quickly. I had the hair-brained idea in college when I saw someone on Oprah Winfrey explaining that a potato is fairly complete in nutrition. Out of fear for calcium and protein, I added 1/2 cup of skim milk to a 100 calorie potato and at that 5x per day and lost 30 pounds in one month (I was young then!). I was starving - I now know the milk caused hunger somehow, because just potatoes does not do this.

Anyway, when I first started, I was eating only 6-7 potatoes and little else other than condiment-level anything (teaspoon to a tablespoon) for a couple of weeks.

I eventually found out Dr. Mcdougall was the source of the original potato hack in 2006, so here I am. I am finding I need more than just potatoes, even taking weekends off, so I have the MWL book and am reading.

I killed a terrible craving last night with a blueberry and banana smoothie. I ate more fruit than allowed, but it was better than falling off the wagon!
Key Tones

Postby yarnpetter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Key Tones wrote:Lynn,

Out of fear for calcium and protein, I added 1/2 cup of skim milk to a 100 calorie potato and at that 5x per day and lost 30 pounds in one month (I was young then!). I was starving - I now know the milk caused hunger somehow, because just potatoes does not do this.

I don't know, I think I'd be starving on 500 calories per day (or ~700 calories with the milk added in) even if it was just potatoes
yarnpetter

Postby Key Tones » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Oh, I ate 7 potatoes per day plus condiments. Probably more like 900 to 1000 calories. I did have some very low calorie days, but not many.
Key Tones

Postby Key Tones » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Lynn-I forgot to comment on hummus.

It was...a little odd. I ended up eating the carrots separately. It came out like spicy mashed potatoes.

I used the recipe for hummus III on all recipes, with potatoes instead of garbanzo beans, and only 1 teaspoon of tahini (sometimes I use sesame seeds instead of tahini - it all goes in the food processor anyway). I also add curry powder and red pepper because I like it spicy.

Although it was odd, I'm doing it again!
Key Tones

Postby Key Tones » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 am

Oh, don't laugh - I don't have a mixer! I never make cake or mashed potatoes (chronic dieter), but I just gave in and ordered one--a returned one, which is $30 cheaper than a new one (from the large online retailer).
Key Tones

Postby anni m » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 pm

even though i was just lurking, as i hadn't yet registered on this forum, i started doing the potato hack about 2 weeks or so ago now, and what a revelation! potatoes definitely provide the satiation that was lacking for me with other grains, so especially at night i would just eat and eat, but with potatoes i get full and stop! thanks to all of you who posted here, it's really been fun, and i felt like i had a community although i hadn't yet posted!

so i've decided to just keep doing this since i really feel like my weight has decreased and my clothes feel looser (i don't have a scale). i was already eating a vegan diet for the past 6 years, but was eating more fat than i had realized, so the bit of weight i would like to lose just wouldn't come off before now. and i know sticking to just potatoes for my "grain" has helped a lot.

i just nuke all my potatoes, and love how quick and easy it is to cook them up (my husband and i are doing a long term vagabond around the usa in our little camper van, so not much room to cook). i love sweet potatoes now, they provide a yummy dessert or morning dish sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and a little maple syrup.

so i'm really loving reading what everyone has been writing! this, in addition to the evening meditation that i started listening to in january, has definitely given my 58 year old body a kick start! yay!!
anni m

Postby Key Tones » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Annie!

My daughter likes microwaving best, actually.

I discovered the hard way I really can't stand boiled sweet potatoes, but microwaved is pretty good, really.

I'm looking forward to making hash browns. I bought one of those returned grillers too.

I don't eat grains - I've read too much about anti-nutrients in them blocking mineral absorption. I am leary. Also, they don't satisfy me, but potatoes do!
Key Tones

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Anni! Glad you joined the party.

I was a nuked potato fan, but now I'm on the crock pot thing. I will probably be eating 'taters every day for the rest of my life.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program