All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm

TracyAnn wrote:

I also found out a couple days ago that peanut butter tastes really good on baked potatoes. But that is just dangerous for me and not MWL so I am hiding the PB.

Ha! that's one I've never tried. But I love peanut butter and pickles.

;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby PineappleTraci » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Potato Infinity, Day 11:

Today's intake: lots of potatoes and carrots, a couple handful's of pistachios, lots of tea, spread throughout the day. I definitely prepared enough quantity-wise, which is a first!

Random Comment ('cause that's what badazz Potato Hackers do!):
The luxury of being single on this WOE is that you can eat like a total weirdo (see "today's intake" above) for every single meal of every single day. But if I ever cook for two again, I will make something awesome and not too fussy, like Potato Cabbage Curry. :) :) :)
PineappleTraci

Postby JulieS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm lurking here, but I have been eating a ton of taters, too, lately! I have to tell you a favorite way of mine to eat them. Take microwaved fingerlings (or baby yellow/purple) and grill (no oil) in a Panini press, Foreman Grill, or waffle maker with salt, pepper, garlic, smoked paprika, and close lid while squishing them. They turn out crispy and yummy! :D
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby azalealilac » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 am

These potatoes are really helpful in losing weight quickly!
Earlychurchtruth.com

azalealilac

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 am

I failed again! AAARGH! :-(
This time it was accident, but I really dislike breaking by potato harmony!

B: hash browns and BBQ sauce
S: baked potato
L: half made cold noodle salad?! WTF?

I grabbed the wrong container out of the fridge without noticing. So instead of great leftover potato curry, I have noodles that I was going to finish assembling for Saturday.

Oh well. Tonight will be mashed spuds and mixed veg. I don't know what I'll do this weekend, or if I'll continue next week. I would like to get right at least once.
vgpedlr

Postby PineappleTraci » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Potato Heaven -- pause day

Well, count me as one more potato hacker who missed the potato wagon for the day! (Donate my trophy for the day! I'm disqualified.) Woke up a few minutes late, so decided *not* to nuke my potatoes for the day, but instead to just get out a ziploc baggie and dump some rolled oats in a bag for my day's starch.

So, my sad non-potato intake for the day:
B - 1/2 cup dry rolled oats, cooked, with hot sauce and some salt
L - 1/2 cup dry rolled oats, cooked, plus corn, black beans, broccolini, and olives; soy sauce and ketchup for seasoning
Sn - apple
D - back to potatoes as my starch! they are awaiting me at home :)
Fl - 1 thermosfull of black tea, 2 thermosesfull of herbal tea (one tea bag per thermos)

Tomorrow will be my last day of potato hack :crybaby: , as my potatoes will soon be gone, I've promised myself I will eat from the pantry and use up what I have.

JulieS -- do you want my spot at the cool-kids Potato-Hackers table? I am *so* eating your Potato Panini-Crisps tonight, by the way. (Well, I'm not eating *yours*, I'm making my own, but you get what I'm saying!)
PineappleTraci

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 am

JulieS wrote:I'm lurking here, but I have been eating a ton of taters, too, lately! I have to tell you a favorite way of mine to eat them. Take microwaved fingerlings (or baby yellow/purple) and grill (no oil) in a Panini press, Foreman Grill, or waffle maker with salt, pepper, garlic, smoked paprika, and close lid while squishing them. They turn out crispy and yummy! :D

oooh, almost you convince me to get a pannini press.

As for me, I found someone for the rest of the potato salad. Note to self: You don't like potato salad enough to eat it every day. And yesterday I baked bread and had a slice. Otherwise, the potato hack is on full bore. Wait...had lunch at my friend's and it was pasta with veggies and seasonings. so...two non potato starches yesterday.

I also sneaked a step on the scale yesterday. Down six lbs. :) and tomorrow I plan on one (1) hard boiled egg. I'm sure Easter candy will be around, but I'm not tempted...though i did buy some Ferrero Rocher for my kids. (grown kids)

My girl and I are decorating some eggs tonight...these are eggs from my friend's pet hens, so there's no egg industry cruelty involved. And then I think I'm gonna stay with potatoes. Colcanon is good. It is a dish I can (and have been) eating every day. And this smashed grilled potato thing sounds SO good. I wonder if it's doable on a cast iron griddle, pressed down and then flipped for the other side.

Today, I am within six pounds of my lowest weight, from two years ago about this time.

yay potatoes!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby megs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 am

For those of you who are into sweet potatoes, here's a great soup recipe:

SWEET POTATO SOUP
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serves 6
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
1/2 cup coarsely celery
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups vegetable broth
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium Irish potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

In a large saucepan cook the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and salt in
veg broth for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the broth, 1-1/2 cups of water, sweet potatoes and potato. If necessary, add additional water to cover the vegetable. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour half of the hot potato mixture into a blender container, cover and blend until smooth. Pour it into a serving bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and serve hot.
megs

Postby TracyAnn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
TracyAnn wrote:

I also found out a couple days ago that peanut butter tastes really good on baked potatoes. But that is just dangerous for me and not MWL so I am hiding the PB.

Ha! that's one I've never tried. But I love peanut butter and pickles.

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

vgpedlr wrote: I would like to get right at least once.

I've had potatoes all week but lost by 3 meals. I, too, would like to get it right for one week. Arrrghh!

I am thinking of doing a Mary's Mini with rice...or trying the potatoes for one more week. Not sure yet.
TracyAnn

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 am

Easter weekend was a total food disaster for me! I kept it vegan, but I did my best to demonstrate that vegans have many choices when it comes to crapola.

This week, I look to the potato gods to save me from my sinful weekend!
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 am

megs wrote:For those of you who are into sweet potatoes, here's a great soup recipe:

SWEET POTATO SOUP
1/2 cup coarsely celery
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups vegetable broth
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

veg broth for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the broth, 1-1/2 cups of water, sweet potatoes and potato. If necessary, add additional water to cover the vegetable. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour half of the hot potato mixture into a blender container, cover and blend until smooth. Pour it into a serving bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and serve hot.

Thank you for this. It is officially on the menu.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby CJJ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:13 pm

megs wrote:For those of you who are into sweet potatoes, here's a great soup recipe:

SWEET POTATO SOUP
1/2 cup coarsely celery
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups vegetable broth
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

This is going to be on the dinner menu tonight!! I'll bake some bread for dh, we'll have a salad and some steamed broccoli. The best part - I have ALL the ingredients!
CJJ

Postby megs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

My brother gave me this recipe and I never get tired of it! In fact, I think I'll make it tomorrow as I just joined a Mary's Mini challenge. :)
megs

Postby CJJ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

The soup was yummy! I did puree it although I think dh would have liked if I had left some chunks. He likes a chunky soup and I don't like 'floaties' :lol: Since I'm cooking... (okay, sometimes I spoon his out and then puree but not always).

Thanks for the recipe!
CJJ

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Another all potato day:
B: baked sweet potato
L: baked potatoes with Ranch Style Beans
D: potato cabbage curry

Yesterday was pretty close, but I was starving and ate some flatbread crackers with hummus. I've also added back more beans. Tomorrow will be rice though. Can't get enough Asian flavor!
vgpedlr

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program