All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am

Got tired and went to bed before posting my menu yesterday!

B: Hash browns and ketchup
L: Sweet potato and broccoli with BBQ sauce
D: Sweet potato and broccoli with BBQ sauce

snacks were cold potatoes with lemon juice, vinegar and spices

I'm tempted to weigh, but I'll wait until the end as well.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby Jordy Verrill » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am

I haven't posted in this thread yet but I have been doing the potato challenge. I've had oven fries with ketchup for breakfast each day and a Jeff Novick SNAP meal made with mashed potatoes instead of rice for lunch. Dinner has been leftover SNAP and steamed then chilled potatoes with smoked paprika, which I bought specifically for this challenge and am totally in love with. I also made a big thing of simple potato salad (chilled steamed potatoes, mustard, rice vinegar, celery and dill) to snack on. I am loving this so far.
Jordy Verrill

Postby TracyAnn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Yesterday I had the following:

B: big plate steamed veges
S: 3 small baked potatoes with honey mustard
Kombucha tea

I don't know, I usually eat way more than that. Not very hungry yesterday.

But today I am waking up hungry! I am having potato flakes made with water for breakfast. No seasonings, but not bad. Quick and easy in a pinch, and something I probably would not compulsively over eat! :-) I got the generic kind at the store, but am looking for some Bob's Red Mill kind to see how they compare in taste. I also splurged and bought an organic bag of potatoes.

Not sick of those potatoes yet! I am actually still hungry so I am gonna go bake some now.

I am enjoying looking at everyone's posted daily menus.

Have a great day!
TracyAnn

Postby seacat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Day 3 and going strong, but I realized that I made a mistake yesterday by declaring I had a successful day, when in fact, there was oil in my dinner out last night, so it was not 100%. I will fix that, I promise.

Jordy, you have given me some new ideas like Jeffs snap meals with mashed potatoes, and I like your salad idea too.

so far today:
B 1 baked sweet pot and 2 hashbrown patties w ketchup
S 1 baked potato with salsa and mustard

Lunch and dinner will be...potatoes! TBA as to the method. I need to go out soon, and have a couple baked potatoes to take with me. We don't have many Wendy's Restaurants around here anymore. It would make it a little easier to eat out during the day, on the run.
seacat

Postby Jordy Verrill » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 pm

seacat wrote:
Jordy, you have given me some new ideas like Jeffs snap meals with mashed potatoes, and I like your salad idea too.

I make SNAP meals like that all the time... I like it better than using rice.
Jordy Verrill

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Created the ultimate snack yesterday.
Baked potato sandwiches.
Take a cooled baked potato and slice in half in place of bread. Dress as you would a sandwich. Assemble and eat. I used lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and mustard. Brilliant. It helps to hollow out the potato halves a little since they don't squish like bread.
vgpedlr

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Created the ultimate snack yesterday.
Baked potato sandwiches.
Take a cooled baked potato and slice in half in place of bread. Dress as you would a sandwich. Assemble and eat. I used lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and mustard. Brilliant. It helps to hollow out the potato halves a little since they don't squish like bread.

This will obviously be my lunch tomorrow. And the next day.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby PineappleTraci » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Day 3 of Potato Heaven:

- Early morning -- Ate one or two small red potatoes on my way into work. Plain, cold, delicious.
- Later in the morning: baby carrots (about a pound, cooked, with a little bit of hot sauce) and two remaining small red potatoes (cold and plain)
- Late lunch -- out of potatoes and out of carrots, I ate everything that was *not* on the agenda (but *was* at the employee cafeteria) broccoli, kidney beans, white rice, black olives -- broccoli dipped in ketchup, rest doused in soy. Yeah, yeah -- I clearly didn't bring enough *quantity* to work and I was fairly excessive with condiments. Nothing to see here people! Carry on!
- Dinner - back to the plan! Bought some huge russets on my way home from work. Baked all four of them, and ate one. (I am sitting here and know I would eat a second, but that would require undoing the top button of my pants, and that really is further than I am willing to go. :) ) Ate a whole bunch of collard greens, and cooked up a pound of carrots. Too stuffed to eat a carrot, but good to have them already cooked!

Still drinking lots of near-calorie-free bev -- cocoa powder and coffee powder by the thermosful.

Seacat, KittyM & TracyAnn -- you guys have totally got the hang of this. Simplicity! I am slowly catching on. . . . :)
PineappleTraci

Postby Samsy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Yesterday: Day 3

Breakfast: was hungry! 4 large potatoes and then bowl of steamed spinach and tomato
Snack: potato with ketchup
Lunch: a pound of steamed veg and 2 large potatoes
Snack: 2 large potatoes (had to cook more potatoes!!!)
Dinner: 2 large potatoes mashed with steamed broccoli
1 potato with ketchup for pudding!
LOTS of potatoes!!!!

Don't drink alcohol much anymore but went out for drinks yesterday and I had a vodka, lime and soda (vodka to keep with potato theme!).

Anyway....woke up today, would have been my Day 4 but I am bowing out of challenge now as I miss my fruit, rice and beans like crazy, and I am ANOTHER POUND down!!! 2 pounds in 2 days!!! Most I have ever lost on MWL!
:D
Samsy

Postby Samsy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 pm

I meant... 2 pounds in three days!
Samsy

Postby Maer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Still on just potatoes, but added back some fruit.

B: russet potato and st'd collards with garlic and lemon
L: russet with spinach and mushrooms, and 2 small grapefruit
Sn: banana
Sn: banana
D: russet with spinach and mushrooms, sweet potato with apple for dessert.

Overfull now. I think I let myself get too hungry and should have just stuck with potatoes...

Maer
Maer

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Samsy wrote:Anyway....woke up today, would have been my Day 4 but I am bowing out of challenge now as I miss my fruit, rice and beans like crazy, and I am ANOTHER POUND down!!! 2 pounds in 2 days!!! Most I have ever lost on MWL!
:D

Everyone gets a trophy. Well done!
KittyMcKnitty

Postby seacat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 pm

I am stil feeling the potato love on day 3, and have been a good girl by eating:
B 1 baked sweet potato and two hashbrown patties with ketchup.
S 1 baked potato with salsa
S 1 baked potato with ketchup and horseradish mustard
D 2 yellow potatoes cooked together with onion, cabbage, corn and green beans in some veg broth-so like a stew
S one orange

I was tempted to have a glass of wine but will wait til Fri. eve.

Back to Idaho stories-my parents live very close to a lot of potato fields and every year after harvest, they are allowed to go out and pick up as many russet or red potatoes they can carry, since the combines don't get all of them, so they easily get their winter potato supply after a couple outings. I have been up there a couple times to help them with it. You'd be amazed at how many spuds are left in the fields.
seacat

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 pm

OMG, sweet potato soup!!!!

I can't cook, but I decided to try to make soup. I put a couple of sliced sweet potatoes, a couple of onions, a few carrots and some veggie broth and water in a pot. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, peppercorn medley and poultry seasoning (it's what I had on hand). I cooked it until the sweet potato slices broke up and the carrots were soft. I sprinkled hot pepper flakes on top of my bowl.

I want to eat this soup every day forever.
KittyMcKnitty

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:25 am

vgpedlr wrote:Created the ultimate snack yesterday.
Baked potato sandwiches.

Believe it or not, this was an actual recipe in one of the early McDougall books.
VeggieSue

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program