All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby PineappleTraci » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Day 5 of Potato Heaven:

b- nearly a full pound of baby carrots, cooked, eaten on the way to work.
l- pretty big russet potatoes, 4 total?, with black pepper sprinkled on top
sn - 1 apple, 1 orange
fluids - my usual unsweetened cocoa w/ coffee substitute

Comments:
I *really* understand the satiating power of the potato at this point. Potatoes are kinda like -- what is that substance that they sometimes give to recovering alcoholics that will make you sick if you drink a drop of alcohol? -- it is like that for volume eaters. I ate too many potatoes at noon or so -- I guess I just wanted to see what it would be like?? -- and I am *still* hung over from it.

I think this is a really cool quality of potatoes! They will tell you if you've gone too far. (Am I off the deep end now? I've eaten a lot of rice before, or a lot of beans, or a lot of winter squash, and *never* felt that the food has just patiently sat in my stomach for five hours to teach me a darn lesson.)
PineappleTraci

Postby Maer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Well, it's taken me about these 5 days to get a real appreciation of what both potatoes have to offer, and what a Mary's Mini has to offer. So, I'm planning to continue this for another 5 days, doing better and ditching the fruit, which I'd planned to do but haven't, though managed to stick with just potatoes for starch.

Maer

PS my meals aren't exciting, mainly russets microwaved, and a variety of greens. (plus too much fruit)
Maer

Postby seacat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Maer, it's great that you're continuing on with the potato challenge. I considered it myself, but social obligations will not allow it right now, but I will keep potatoes in the spotlight alot from here on out.

B 1 apple, and 3 small baked potatoes w bbq sc
L 2 more baked potatoes with leafy greens
D red potatoes cooked along with corn and green beans, glass of wine to celebrate!

I will post my weight loss tomorrow am. I want to thank KittyMcnitty for introducing the challenge about a week ago. I am now going to stay on MWL indefinitely.
seacat

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 pm

B: Skipped (not hungry)
L: Baked potato with BBQ sauce, veggies
D: Baked potatoes with more BBQ sauce (I'm hooked on it)
Snacks: baked fries with ketchup

I'm going to have a celebratory nonalcoholic beer (St. Pauli Girl N.A.) at midnight!

PineappleTraci wrote:... I think this is a really cool quality of potatoes! They will tell you if you've gone too far. (Am I off the deep end now? I've eaten a lot of rice before, or a lot of beans, or a lot of winter squash, and *never* felt that the food has just patiently sat in my stomach for five hours to teach me a darn lesson.)

Punishing potatoes! I have noticed this as well. The next time I'm going to be around tempting crappy food, I'm resolved to eat a couple potatoes before I go. Starchy Antabuse!

Thanks to everyone who made the Challenge a big success. Trophies will be handed out tomorrow. I'm weighing tomorrow to see if there's been a loss (I suspect there has).

I'm ready for some beans, but I can honestly say that I am not sick of taters. I think this was a great palate reset.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby PineappleTraci » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:23 am

KittyMcKnitty wrote:Starchy Antabuse!

That's exactly what potatoes are! :)

PS - I'm going to continue my potato hack for five more days! Just starting to get the hang of it. Please join me in continuing to post if anyone else is still hacking along!
PineappleTraci

Postby TracyAnn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 am

Yes, I really enjoyed this challenge. I did go off yesterday and ate a bowl of einkorn noodles. But because I ran out of potatoes and I was starving. :oops: The topping I put on the day before didn't agree with me either. But I don't think I could get sick of potatoes either. I was just whining to myself yesterday on my journal that I haven't really lost any weight, but I am down 2lbs. Yay! I think I am going to eat something else today but may do some grocery shopping and pick up the potato challenge again tomorrow.

Great job everyone! It was was nice to be a part of this...
TracyAnn

Postby seacat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I too lost about 2.4 pounds. I feel great, and am not tired of potatoes either, in fact I had them for breakfast today already!

I will keep them on the menu at least once a day. I look forward to reading about you all who are continuing on with this challenge!
seacat

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm tempted to continue the challenge, but I want some beans. Maybe I'll take it up on Monday again.

I weighed this morning, and it looks like I'm down 3 lbs! I haven't been at this weight in... let's not talk about it.

What's funny is that the only thing I missed was beans.

Happy Graduation to those who are done!
Last edited by KittyMcKnitty on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I was surprised at how satisfying potatoes were as well. I have always liked them, and eat them often in many different ways, but limiting myself to them was an interesting experiment. I was really surprised how satisfying my simple potato salads were for lunch. So since I started late and only did it for four days, I am going to take a little time off this weekend and start again on Monday for another five day challenge. I too really missed beans. And rice. Monday I will be back!
vgpedlr

Postby TracyAnn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Bought more potatoes. I am back in for Monday!
TracyAnn

Postby Maer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:41 pm

So today is the start of my second 5 days.

B: none (not hungry)

L: microwaved russet, st'd mustart greens

D: very big microwaved russet with "power greens" ( mix of baby spinach, chard, and kale) lightly microwaved, lots of mushrooms (all of this mixed together. TODAY, no salt added...this is new for me.

I've found in the past that the more salt I eat, the more sweet food I want. I was using more salt than am accustomed to the first 5 days, and a lot more fruit than I'm used to. I hope this makes a difference.

Also, I'm wondering if the increased arthritis I noticed was more from the increased fruit and salt, than from increased potatoes. Sure hope so; I love these potatoes, and actually prefer them microwaved than baked...they have a more chewy texture that I really like.

Glad some of you others are planning to continue!

Maer
Maer

Postby PineappleTraci » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Day 6 of Starchy Antabuse Heaven:

b - potato, plain, eaten in the car on the way to work
sn - another potato, dipped in ketchup this time
l - potatoes, olives, chickpeas and beets
sn - two pears
d - (later tonight) - carrots? plus some broccoli? *possibly* another potato, but I'm seriously pretty stuffed still.

Comments: I don't weigh myself except at the gym once in a while, so I have no idea how these six days have impacted my weight. Seems to me there has been a learning curve though.

Glad that others will be back to potatoing in the next couple of days! It is so interesting, isn't it?
PineappleTraci

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Oh! You guys are continuing :)

Can I jump in? I decided to go potatoes a couple of days ago, and sea cat told me about this thread...anyway I started today with this very challenge, and want to go to the end of March. So if you don't mind, I'd like to follow this thread and join in.

B: raw cauliflower florets, nuked yellow potato
L: col canon with yellows, yam, and spinach
S: nuked yellow
D: col canon, sugar snap peas, carrots

Looking forward to this very much.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby seacat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:04 pm

I think I'm having a change of heart here. I really like the idea of restarting on Monday. So, Monday it is! I dont mind dropping some weight via potatoes whatsoever.

Had my mexican food tonight (veggie burritos), so got that fix out of the way! Something asian/thai tomorrow, and, well yes I will be back here on Monday!

I still have a couple pasillo peppers in the fridge that I want to stuff and bake with mashed potatoes (in tom sauce), and also maybe some sheppards pie to last a couple of days.

Potato mania-why not?

Buns, glad i influenced you!
seacat

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Back to the spuds!
B: baked potato wedges with BBQ sauce
S: baked potato wedges with sweet Thai chili sauce
L: baby potato salad with chopped pickle, grape tomato, cuke, zuke and mustard
D: ? There are a couple of things I could do, but I kinda want some rice. Keep going? Or reset tomorrow? Decisions, decisions.
vgpedlr

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program