All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 am

In the regular grocery store spice section. There's the regular red-topped plastic bottles of McCormick stuff, and next to those is the more expensive McCormick Gourmet black or green topped glass bottles. I found it with those.
http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Spices/Paprika-Smoked.aspx

Of course, you can always mail-order from a place like Penzey Spices if you're not in a hurry.
VeggieSue

Postby Samsy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:20 am

I wasn't going to join as I just luuurve my morning bowl of oats too much! It is my daily bowl of comfort and joy :)
But as this morning I FORGOT :eek: to have breakfast (doesn't happen very often!) and as I had a cooked potato waiting for me in the fridge I thought what the heck...let me "just do it"!

I will try a 3 day potato challenge as I don't think I will last 5 days (will see!).
I will be having winter squash as well, but will be ditching the oats and brown rice (my usual other starches) as well as fruit, and beans and lentils.
I will log my meals for the next 3 days.
Samsy

Postby eaufraiche703 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 am

pudgypumpkin,

horseradish sauce.... mmm! do you make it yourself? tell us more, plz!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby Samsy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am

Day 1:
Breakfast: potato, spinach, tomato
Snack: mini roma tomatoes
Lunch:crispy potato wedges, brocolli
Supper: veg soup (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, butternut, potato)

Ate about 7-8 large potatoes today, maybe too many!
Samsy

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am

janluvs2heel wrote:Where do you buy the smoked paprika? I keep looking but have not found it anywhere, at least in the regular grocery stores.

I get mine at my local Publix or Kroger! Never had a problem finding it. Maybe try WF if your regular stores don't carry it. It's AWESOME!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ronald11103 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:05 am

ETeSelle wrote:
janluvs2heel wrote:Where do you buy the smoked paprika? I keep looking but have not found it anywhere, at least in the regular grocery stores.

I get mine at my local Publix or Kroger! Never had a problem finding it. Maybe try WF if your regular stores don't carry it. It's AWESOME!

Got mine at Costco!
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby seacat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 am

Hello Everyone, I am new to these boards. I have been reading Dr. McDougall's books for many years and own two of them (McDougall Plan-autographed!, and The Twelve Day Plan). I am very interested in joining the Potato Challenge with you today. I have my 3 hashbrown patties cooking in my non-stick skillet right now for breakfast.

I am 56 yrs old, need to lose about 40 lbs. Having been born in Idaho and loving potatoes should make this pretty easy for me!!

Looking forward to sharing my daily menus and support with you all.

Pam
seacat

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am

I had to overcome severe potato adversity first thing this morning. I opened a brand new ten pound bag of russet potatoes, and they all had little sprouts on them! What the heck?

It ticked me off. I was planning to boil red potatoes for lunch, so I threw in some extras for breakfast. I like red potatoes, but I think of russets as more of a breakfast potato.

seacat - I love potatoes too, so this doesn't sound that difficult to me either. I say that, but I bet I'll be dying for some beans by Friday.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby PiPhi1993 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 am

I'm really excited about this! My DH (who is the ultimate SAD eater) thinks I'm crazy :\

Breakfast - hashbrowns (dry cooked)
Plan for the rest of the day ...
Lunch - Cold sliced baked potatoes with Amy's horseradish mustard and green salad
Dinner - mashed potatoes and broccoli!
snacks - cold sliced potatoes, sliced red pepeprs
PiPhi1993

Postby PineappleTraci » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 pm

OK, I'm in for the Potato Challenge! Bought a 5-lb bag of red pototes last night and am having a huge meal

Side note, but I love the term "potato hack" -- it sounds so naughty and unconventional -- like we are sawing the legs off granny's antique coffee table.

I mean, I'd *never* agree to do a Mary's Mini, because that just sounds so goody two shoes. Like I'd have to buy a poodle skirt to participate. :) But call it a potato hack, and I'm on board. . . .

Potatoes will be my only starch, but I will definitely be consuming fruit (is it normally allowed on a MM?) It is what I've been eating lately at my part-time job, and I'm trying to get a groove going here, so I don't want to disrupt it.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's Day 1!
PineappleTraci

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 pm

PineappleTraci wrote:OK, I'm in for the Potato Challenge! Bought a 5-lb bag of red pototes last night and am having a huge meal

Side note, but I love the term "potato hack" -- it sounds so naughty and unconventional -- like we are sawing the legs off granny's antique coffee table.

I mean, I'd *never* agree to do a Mary's Mini, because that just sounds so goody two shoes. Like I'd have to buy a poodle skirt to participate. :) But call it a potato hack, and I'm on board. . . .

:lol: :twisted:

PineappleTraci wrote:Potatoes will be my only starch, but I will definitely be consuming fruit (is it normally allowed on a MM?) It is what I've been eating lately at my part-time job, and I'm trying to get a groove going here, so I don't want to disrupt it.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's Day 1!

Fruit isn't usually allowed on an MM (I don't think), but since potato hackers are natural rebels and outcasts from society, making your own rules is part of the deal. ;)
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Fruit is a DQ. The point of Mary's Mini and the potato hack is to introduce some real monotony so you eat only what you need. That said, it is a hack, and by its very nature open to improvisation in the moment. I'm not really allowed to comment, since I can't start till tomorrow. But there you have it, more heckling from the spud gallery! :mrgreen:
vgpedlr

Postby Maer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Great to hear what everyone's eating.

So far, I've been very plain:

B: none (not hungry)
L: microwaved little red potatoes, steamed broccoli, and a dressing of rice vinegar with 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard.

D: big microwaved russet potato, mushrooms, and spinach, side of st'd mustard greens, garlic (roasted), and lemon juice (this was good).

I can see this becoming monotonous, however...

Maybe I'll try some horseradish sauce in the next few days, too...I see there is a horseradish dijon in the stores.

Maybe by reading everyone else's menus, I'll get more ideas.

Maer
Maer

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 pm

VeggieSue wrote:In the regular grocery store spice section. There's the regular red-topped plastic bottles of McCormick stuff, and next to those is the more expensive McCormick Gourmet black or green topped glass bottles. I found it with those.
http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Spices/Paprika-Smoked.aspx

Of course, you can always mail-order from a place like Penzey Spices if you're not in a hurry.

Thanks, I will check it out. And yes, we do have a whole foods not too far from where I am living now. But you would think if a store carreid McCormick spices, it would have this. Maybe I have just missed it.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Day 1 down, not bad 'tall.

Breakfast: boiled red potatoes with ketchup
Snack: cooled red potato with Dijon mustard
Lunch: more boiled potatoes with salsa and baked jalapeños
Snack: cooled red potato with mustard
Dinner: mashed potatoes with BBQ sauce, broccoli

I have learned that a room temperature boiled potato kills my appetite.
KittyMcKnitty

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program