Easy Fast breakfast ideas

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Easy Fast breakfast ideas

Postby Quinoamania » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:01 pm

TerriT wrote:I just remembered that years ago I used to make steel-cut oats overnight in a thermos - just add the hot water before you go to bed and seal it up, in the morning it should be done and still warm.

Awesome idea! I will try it for school tomorrow -- thanks!
Robin

McDougalling my way to health since 9 Feb 2012.

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Quinoamania

Postby Marianne20 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Your ideas are awesome. I have steel cut oats somewhere I have to find them. This does seem too easy. Like to good to be true. :-)
Marianne20

Postby TerriT » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Here's some directions I just found via Google. I don't think I have a Thermos anymore, but now I might have to get one to try this again!

http://www.thermoscooking.com/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/
TerriT

Postby frozenveg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 pm

TerriT wrote:Here's some directions I just found via Google. I don't think I have a Thermos anymore, but now I might have to get one to try this again!

http://www.thermoscooking.com/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/

I actually just tried this on Saturday and the steel-cut oats took 1/2 hour, just like the video said!

Oh, and I did mean old-fashioned rolled oats in the previous post about microwaving them--the old-fashioned are the 5-minute-cook ones and the quick oats are the 1-minute-cook. Instant is even gloopier.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby djunamod » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:16 am

Here's what I have for breakfast every morning and it's fairly fast and easy:

I peel a potato and chop it into chunks and put it on the stove in water to boil.

While it's boiling, I have some fresh raw veggies (usually some cucumber and carrot, or sometimes also add some cherry tomatoes and/or red bell pepper)

When it's done, I drain the water and mash the potatoes, adding a little mustard and pepper and cayenne

Then I spread 2 unsalted organic brown rice cakes with some jam or honey and top off the meal

If you want to save time, you could always nuke the potato rather than boil it (I don't like to make the potato the night before - I've discovered that it makes the mashed potatoes very gummy rather than flakey) and chop the raw veggies the night before so they're ready to munch on in the morning.

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

Postby TerriT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:09 am

Here's another idea - beans for breakfast. When I was a poor college student I used to cook them overnight in a crock pot. I remember this combination (from Laurel's Kitchen) was very tasty:

1 1/2 cup pintos
1 1/2 cup kidney beans
1 cup black beans
1/3 cup mung beans
1/3 cup split peas

They look pretty in a jar, too.
TerriT

Postby Marianne20 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:05 am

I had oatmeal with strawberries this AM. Seems easiest right now. I made some last night while I was throwing together supper and making today's lunch. I'm off tomorrow but must leave early again to go watch the grandchildren and then home late AM. Going to make some steel cut tomorrow hopefully if the 1 year old lets me have some free time. LOL That thermos idea looks interesting I think we got rid of ours but I have a microwave here.
Marianne20

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:28 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Yes, I agree. The quick oats are gummy-tasting to me.

Oddly enough, that's whyI like the quick oats vs. the old fashioned oats. :)
proverbs31woman

Postby shell1226 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:59 am

Trader Joe's has a quick Steel Cut Oats. Takes about 7 minutes to cook on top of the stove and only about 4-5 minutes in the microwave.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Katydid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 am

PurplePotato wrote:You could make a large amount of starch ahead of time and leaveB it in the fridge and take out individual portions throughout the week and re-heat. Some ideas:

Cook a large batch of steel cut oats (or another any other grain) and place in fridge. Each morning, throw a serving of oats, some frozen berries, and and a dash of cinnamon in a bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes.

Cook a bunch of potatoes ahead of time and leave in fridge. Each morning, split open a potato or two, dump on some frozen asparagus and salsa, and microwave.

You could even make the complete meal ahead of time, and refrigerate or freeze individual servings.

I agree, cook in bulk and you won't be tempted to cheat because you will always have 'legal' food in the fridge. I make enough oatmeal at a time for four breakfasts and a couple of snacks. This way I only have to make breakfast twice a week. I added mashed ripe bananas, frozen blueberries, vanilla and spices. Sometimes mashed banana and canned unsweetened pumpkin. I never tire of oatmeal and, in fact, I'm currently doing a Mary's Mini based around three servings of oatmeal a day :D
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program