Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

Postby frozenveg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:39 am

Amgmmg, it sounds as though you are trying, and to lose 1.4 kg in a week is tremendous! Even if you gained back .5 kg, that's more than a kg. a week, which is a very good loss.

If you are truly trying to do the Maximum Weight Loss part of the eating plan, read the guidelines in the first post in this thread. It would probably be a good thing to get rid of the crackers and white bread in your household. Also, it is better to be eating whole fruits, not processed, so the applesauce is not ideal. (I use frozen fruits in my oatmeal--cherries or blueberries, usually.) As long as the rice you are having is whole grain, unprocessed, you are probably not eating too much. As Wild4Stars said, over the course of a day, 4 cups isn't all that much.

You asked about what to do about sugar cravings. First of all, recognize them. Say to yourself, "I am experiencing a craving for sugar." That spoonful of jam, in and of itself, is not going to derail your weight loss. And I can't tell you your cravings will go away over the years. And I can't tell you what else will satisfy that craving, because I'm not you! However, it would be a good move to either do something else with your hands when you feel that craving, and wait 20 minutes--it may just go away--or to have some of that delicious brown rice instead. Those whole, unrefined starches are what actually provide satisfaction for our hunger.

And keep going! Every effort you put towards this is helping. Your tiredness may be lack of adequate sleep, or perhaps you should get in a little exercise over the course of a day. Just think, though, if you lose even .5 kg a week, you could be your ideal weight in less than a year, and for the rest of your life!

Keep us posted!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby amgmmg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 am

Thank you Frozenveg for your suggestions.
It is difficult to get rid of bread and crackers at home as I have two young children.

I would love them to eat this way, but they are not willing.
I have been better today and I am exercising, so will see what happens.
One year sounds long, but I understand.
Thanks, again/
amgmmg

Postby frozenveg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 am

amgmmg wrote: One year sounds long, but I understand. /

The thing about the one year, is that you are getting better all the time--so it is not one year at your current weight and then BAM, you're at your ideal weight! But it's lots of months of improvement, all the while feeling better and better.

And think of it this way--do you plan on being alive a year from now? Three years from now? Of course you do--and you will be alive and well and fit and thin, because you have succeeded at this way of life! If you don't make the changes, a year from now you could be at the same weight -- or heavier. That's the course I took for 35 years. I hated it!

And as for the kids, start transitioning the bread and crackers from pasty white-flour products to more whole-grain products. Make it gradual. You're the mom, after all--you are in charge, right? Their taste buds can change, and will, if you do it cheerfully and gradually. It's not easy but it will happen. And that way, when you have a bunch of crackers, they are (although still refined products) whole grain and low in oil! It's not MWL, but it's regular McD program.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby amgmmg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:56 am

Thank you Frozenveg
amgmmg

Postby TracyAnn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:32 pm

amgmmg wrote:Thank you Frozenveg for your suggestions.
It is difficult to get rid of bread and crackers at home as I have two young children.

I would love them to eat this way, but they are not willing.
I have been better today and I am exercising, so will see what happens.
One year sounds long, but I understand.
Thanks, again/

I understand that! I keep nut butters in the house for the "children", but I find it a hard temptation. I am an addict of nut butters and bread. Whole grain is better for the kids, but If you don't want to eat whole grain bread either maybe keep a special little cupboard for them and their foods. I do that with my kids and it seems to be working. :oops: most of the time!!
TracyAnn

Postby amgmmg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks TracyAnn

I am not sure what nut butters are.

Since my kids were born I gave then wholegrain bread, and tehy used to eat it. Then one day they told me they do not like that bread any longer and they want white bread.

If I buy rolls I buy wholegrain. MY daughter does not eat rolls. She just eat white bread with olive oil spread.
I know, not healthy, but that is what she eats. Or perhaps some toasted crossaints (not sure how to spell it).

Now she is having some milo cereal which is made of wheat and corn, and obviously some chocolate.
She eats carrots but not much of any other veggies.

She used to eat cucumbers and tomato when young, but she has gone off it. I am hoping she will change.
amgmmg

Postby TracyAnn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Nut butters are basically other versions of peanut butter....a nutty spread. Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter. I put it on my kids sandwiches which I think is okay (in moderation) for the Regular McDougall plan for people with no cardiovascular disease or weight problems. I have been using it instead of butter on their toast.

The bread is a difficult situation. I buy my children bread that I don't really like. That helps a little.

Sometimes I don't think it is the wheat that is a problem for me, but all the salt that just wants me to keep eating it! I never realized until recently how high in sodium bread is.

It seems like you are doing good so far. You say you snack on vegetables between meals. That is a good idea.
TracyAnn

Postby Wild4Stars » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 am

amgmmg wrote:Thanks TracyAnn

I am not sure what nut butters are.

Since my kids were born I gave then wholegrain bread, and tehy used to eat it. Then one day they told me they do not like that bread any longer and they want white bread.

If I buy rolls I buy wholegrain. MY daughter does not eat rolls. She just eat white bread with olive oil spread.
I know, not healthy, but that is what she eats. Or perhaps some toasted crossaints (not sure how to spell it).

Now she is having some milo cereal which is made of wheat and corn, and obviously some chocolate.
She eats carrots but not much of any other veggies.

She used to eat cucumbers and tomato when young, but she has gone off it. I am hoping she will change.

Out of curiosity, how old are your kids?
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby amgmmg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 am

Wild4Stars they are 5 and 8. The oldest one does not have a problem with eating, except he likes white bread, butter, cheese and chocolate. He stopped eating meat when I started experimenting with raw food.

The youngest one, still eats meat, which I cook very rarely, and bread, chocolate and other sweet things. Although he now decided that she does not like lollypops and all those sweets,

I made today butternut and apple soup. She never tried it ,but today she did and decided it was yummy.
amgmmg

Postby amgmmg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:16 pm

TracyAnn

Thank you/ I now know what you are talking about. Unfortunately the schools over here have a no nut policy But for home I will try it.

A friend of mine does roti bread .(not sure if spelled correctly )She buys the flour at Indian shop and bakes it herself every morning. She said she will teach me
I have to see if the kids like it.
amgmmg

Postby Debora » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 am

hi my name is deb and new to the thread any , good tips to achieve maximum weight loss
Debora

Postby frozenveg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 am

healthyworldwide wrote:hi my name is deb and new to the thread any , good tips to achieve maximum weight loss

Hi Deb, and welcome! The Maximum Weight Loss plan is outlined in brief on page 1 of this thread, and this entire website contains a wealth of information on how to lose weight on this plan. Keep us posted on how you are doing, and you can ask any question you want anywhere in the threads on this forum!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Peach » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:40 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but why does the program specify green or yellow vegetables? So eating carrots won't count as a vegetable? How about red bell peppers? Or mushrooms? Is there a reason for excluding veggies of other colors?
Peach

Postby frozenveg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:03 pm

"Green and yellow" is a catch-all term for vegetables that aren't the starchy ones lie potatoes and winter squash! Dr. M has answered that before, I know, because I asked myself the same question and searched around for the answer! So "green and yellow" does include carrots, tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, all colors of peppers, and on and on. The message is--enjoy any and all veggies!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby morphine » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I've posted here before, but I want to give it another try. I have been in the McDougall camp for several months, and I've lost a total of about 40 pounds this year. But I have cheated a lot, and my blood sugar is getting worse. I want to try to be faithful to this lifestyle, and give it a solid chance to help me lose weight and reverse my Type 2 Diabetes.

For those of you who've read my journal, you know that I struggle. You know that, time and again, I try to "start over" and do it perfect for a certain number of days. But I came across some new information that may help me.

Somehow, I had it in my head that the MWL program suggested two-thirds (2/3) to three-fourths (3/4) of your plate to consist of the "green and yellow vegetables." Therefore, the glorious starches would be reduced to a mere 1/3 or 1/4 of your plate. I was walking around TOO HUNGRY! After watching one of Dr. McD's videos, and reviewing this thread, I realize that I had it backward. In fact, I now understand that the green and yellow veggies should be half of your plate....AT THE MOST! Whoa, that makes my life easier. I love veggies, don't get me wrong, but this is why I like McDougall's approach. This shouldn't be a low-carb diet, and we shouldn't walk around hungry! That's why I keep failing every diet....including this one!

So, today I will begin AGAIN. Yeah!

I'm going to *try* the MWL, but I'm not going to freak out if I have too few vegetables in any given meal. I'm not going to freak out if my wife sautees an onion in some oil, and then puts that onion in a gallon-pot of vegetable soup! I'm not going to lose my head if the only thing I have for lunch is 4 cups of delicious 15-bean soup, and no "green-and-yellows."

I might still have my turkey for thanksgiving. After all, I did raise her from a chick, and I'll butcher and cook her myself. But I'm going to try this again. I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, or encouragement. And feel free to check out my journal.
morphine

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program