I'm stuck...the scale is not moving...

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I'm stuck...the scale is not moving...

Postby Broadbean » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:59 am

Congratulations! Persistence is the key, I think, to pretty much everything in life...

Here's to the next 18 pounds!
Broadbean

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

glassbird wrote: I just can't believe that 30 croutons a week could be a problem, but I can cheerfully drop them from here on out.

:

In addition to what everyone else said, lose the croutons. They are probably made with oil.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Thank you for updating this almost a year later. I think it speaks volumes on the many things one must observe when going through this change in eating besides just weight. I give you big kudos for hanging in there and not giving up because you weren't seeing the weight loss you wanted.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby sharonbikes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks for posting the update. I am right where you were at a year ago and frustrated beyond belief. You give me hope....!

Thanks!

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Rosey » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Great news!! thanks for the update glad your doing so well.
Rosey

Postby giddyupgin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 am

Glassbird...thank you so much for sharing your struggle..I to have been "stuck" even though I have increased my walking/ swimming exercise routine...I will be heading towards the MWL recommendations...I don't take in any breads or pasta but I do indulge in air popped popcorn 4-5 days a week....lot's of rice and a occasional bowl of cereal....now it's more vegies and salads and my starches....my loved potatoes.....
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby shell1226 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for the update, hun. This thread has been very inspirational.

I am so happy for your success. High five!
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby glassbird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you everyone, for the back slapping and high-fives!

At the risk of being annoying ( :D ), I thought I would put in a little update to my update!

Several days ago, I hit my first major milestone. I remember being weighed near the end of eighth grade at the school nurse's office (36 years ago) and seeing a notation of 5'6" and 150 pounds. I was unhappy about the height measurement...I was easily the tallest girl in my class, and a bit sensitive about it. The weight stuck in my head, too, and I can honestly say that I have never weighed 150 pounds since then, until NOW!

Yup, 150 pounds. That means 56 pounds gone, and only 14 more to my goal weight. And about 4 months to do it before my 50th birthday...

Challenge accepted!

(The other really exciting part of this is that when I lose 1 more pound, I will have a BMI in the normal range....yes, high normal, but NORMAL! That has never been the case for me in my entire adult life. I am liking this very much. ;-)
glassbird

Postby veganjen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Congratulations glassbird! :-D
I love reading about the success of others, it encourages me to know that this IS the way to lose weight, thank you!
Jen :)

Pictures:
http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/jengrif/
My website:
http://www.jengriffen.com/default.html

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Pablo Picasso
veganjen

Postby buttercup » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi glassbird!

I am so happy for you! You persistence paid off. I have been McDougalling for 2 1/2 years and am happy with the program. My weight has been stable for the last year and a half, at the high end of a normal BMI. But I too am turning 50 in June (9th) and have just started the MWL because I'd like to lose 14 pounds (too!) by my birthday.
I am betting we can BOTH do it and do a Happy Birthday dance on different sides of the country.

Best wishes!
buttercup

Postby tessa » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:01 pm

So, to sum up what I'm reading here....Cut down on legumes and grains and up potatoes and other vegetables? Is this correct?
tessa

Postby kirstykay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:34 am

glassbird wrote:Thank you everyone, for the back slapping and high-fives!

At the risk of being annoying ( :D ), I thought I would put in a little update to my update!

Several days ago, I hit my first major milestone. I remember being weighed near the end of eighth grade at the school nurse's office (36 years ago) and seeing a notation of 5'6" and 150 pounds. I was unhappy about the height measurement...I was easily the tallest girl in my class, and a bit sensitive about it. The weight stuck in my head, too, and I can honestly say that I have never weighed 150 pounds since then, until NOW!

Yup, 150 pounds. That means 56 pounds gone, and only 14 more to my goal weight. And about 4 months to do it before my 50th birthday...

Challenge accepted!

(The other really exciting part of this is that when I lose 1 more pound, I will have a BMI in the normal range....yes, high normal, but NORMAL! That has never been the case for me in my entire adult life. I am liking this very much. ;-)

Not annoying AT ALL, glassbird! Actually, your story is so incredibly inspiring because who among us has not been discouraged by a plateau lasting too long. You didn't give up; but more than that, you were willing to tweak what you were doing. You made the changes you needed to instead of making excuses. Far too often, we justify our little habits (like the chickpeas) and then believe the lie that "this just doesn't work for ME; it may work for everyone else, but not for ME!" You deserve all the success you've achieved, and I KNOW you'll lose those last few pounds by your birthday! What a celebration that will be!!!
Congratulations, and thanks for being a great example to us all!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby tornadoalley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 am

sounds like too many calories to me.

try a smaller salad, chick peas can be fattening,
use a little honey on the oatmeal. Add high fiber bread to that.

I myself I eat at least 35-45 grams of fiber a day.
that helps also. and water and water.
tornadoalley

Postby Sandy P » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 pm

This string has given me some great information.

I understand that chickpeas in excess would be problematic, but is that true of lentils as well? They are so high in fiber, I thought they would be okay.

Is there one or two starches that seem to be more effective for MWL than others, or does it vary completely by individual?

Congratulations and thanks for all the good information and follow up posts.
Sandy P

Postby lfwfv » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:17 am

Sandy P wrote:I understand that chickpeas in excess would be problematic, but is that true of lentils as well? They are so high in fiber, I thought they would be okay.

Is there one or two starches that seem to be more effective for MWL than others, or does it vary completely by individual?

Chickpeas are actually surprisingly high in fat. I think, other than soybeans, they have the highest percentage of fat compared to any other bean. If memory serves me right, i think lentils are very low fat. All beans are fine on MWL though, just limit to 1 cup.

I think a lot of people find potatoes and sweet potatoes/yams work very well. They are very satiating (i think there was a study that showed a baked potato was the most satiating food), very very low in fat, and quite low in calorie density compared to most starches (i think a little lower than most grains).

Ultimately though, the "right" starch is the one that satisfies you and keeps you eating according to the MWL guidelines.

Eating a ton of veggies seems to be key for a lot of people trying to maximize weight loss as well.

good luck!
lfwfv
lfwfv

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program