APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hey Laura

Postby JessNZ » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:38 am

When you get to Oz, you won't be far from me! But it's getting cold down
under now - if anywhere in Australia is really cold :-)
JessNZ

Postby Starchyme » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 am

MARY W - I, too, get gassed up when I eat oatmeal. Thing is it was worse when I used to eat Right Foods. Have no idea why. I like oat bran better anyway and don't seem to have much trouble with it.

Had a fair day yesterday. Not 100% compliant, but talked myself out of binging on sweets. Today starting to post my menu for the day, as well as fitness routine, on Roberta's board. Bathing suit weather is upon us!!

Hope everyone had a great MCDOUGALLING holiday.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby topview1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 am

Good morning! ON PLAN AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY.

Yesterday went well. Managed to stay 100% mwl yesterday without feeling deprived by taking rice and wild rice and oriental veggies with me for lunch and munching on the veggie trays. I feel great this morning. Usually I just plain eat too much in a group, even if it is McD.

Just starting out the day, but here is my plan

Fit10 & NEWO
Steel cut oats with mulberries and honey
banana
hash browns and veggies (boys requested this, and I have some potatoes that need to be eaten or planted asap
banana or other fruit
coffee substitue with almond milk
Paul's soup with potatoes for me and noodles for the boys

Everyone is home today, so we are going to clean the yard and plant the cool weather crops in the garden.

Have a great day everyone!
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

I want to be in for April (starting now)

Postby figpiglet » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:29 am

I really need to share with others doing this plan for support. I have been getting off track and feeling very alone. I have class today so I need to keep it simple!
Breakfast: Baked potato with salsa
and banana
Lunch: baked potato with salsa
banana
Snack: raw carrots, sweet potato
Dinner: brown rice, cooked cabbage
don't know what to have as an evening snack if hungry
I am so glad you are all here. Good morning and have a healthy day! Jenny
figpiglet

Postby Bambie113 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 am

Good Morning all!
I didn't get to post my weekly workout summary yesterday, so here it is:

Monday Body Combat (1hr, 600cal)
Wednesday 30min on elyptical 350cal,
Friday, 20min circuit training and then about 3 mile hike round trip, Saturday another Body Combat class (1hr, 600cal)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Postby slugmom » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 am

My day 5 ! I'm on Plan and Planning to stay that way!

Actually I did have a few handfuls of jellybeans yesterday :oops: :? BUT I stopped at that and didn't have any chocolate or other tempting foods that came up to tempt me, and I got right back on plan afterwards. So I'm feeling pretty good about my stumble NOT undermining all my last week's efforts.

I wonder if you could run barley through an oat roller and make flakes from it? I have some hulled barley, maybe I'll try it!
- Kim

slugmom

Getting past Easter

Postby catherine1305 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 am

Well I'm glad that is over. My husband cooked a turkey I told him since his daughter gave it to us to cook he should giver her most of the meat. That was good for me. That way he can eat the rest for lunch and sandwiches and I won't be tempted.

My daily chore has been to sweep the pool. Our pool has gotten a fine silk in it and we have been sweeping and pumping the water through filters for 2 weeks. I told my husband he need to get it fixed before it warms up and the kids want to go swimming.

Back on track today. I made some chili rellanos with mashed potatoes and they turned out fabulous. That is my lunch with a salad.

Cathy :-D
catherine1305

Postby Letha. » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 am

Checking in. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way.
Letha
Letha.

Postby cowgirrlup » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 am

Yesterday I did OK, not 100% compliant as far as MWL, but 100% as far as vegan and not upsetting my mom and the owner of the restaurant we ate at.

Mom wanted to go there for Easter lunch, so we obliged her. The owner/chef knows I am vegan and when I ordered a big green salad, he personally brought me the salad along with a grilled veggie sandwich. Since he was so gracious and since I didn't want to upset my mom, I ate the sandwich open faced, leaving the one piece of bread..I figure lots of people do that, so it won't seem offensive or critical..it was also something my mom could understand and she was so happy that I wasn't "stuck" with a salad.

I don't feel guilty about it at all and the rest of the day was totally MWL. Today I had strawberry zucchini oats for breakfast and lunch will be a baked potato with veggies.

Dinner will be a salad and the Caribbean Veggie stew.

WE can do this!
I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long.

The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
cowgirrlup

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:16 am

Long catch up for me. I was ill last week. Not going into details, but let's just say, I finally feel like eating, so watch out LOL.

Looks like folks did well this past thursday. I did want to thank Laura for taking us to Australia. I always wanted to go.

Stormie, I feel your frustration. Just make sure you are paying good attention on your hunger level when you eat. When I start losing sight of how I feel, then I can get into a plateau or even worse gain. One of the hardest things I had to figure out was, "what is satisfied?" For me it was that nice comforting full feeling. My body soon told me that was too much, so now I eat until I'm not hungry. Then usually within a half an hour so so, I feel fine, not stuffed and sleepy, I feel good.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby MaryW » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Cathy--chile rellenos sound fabulous! Please post the recipe. I've seen recipes for stuffed manicotti made with potatoes, but I've never made them before.

Letha--I'm glad you are still with us, but I hope you feel better soon!

healthe1--I'll have to try oat bran. I always figured it was like eating concentrated oats and that would be even MORE painful!

I had another disrupted day at work. I had meant to make some barley this morning, but I overslept. I nuked 2 potatoes and ate them in the car on the way to work. Lunch room was unavailable again --grrr-- so I ran some errands on my lunch break and had 2 more potatoes. By about 4 pm, I was so hungry I got the shakes! Not good. I had a spare potato to tide me over and I ate an apple on the way home. Maybe I shouldn't eat so many potatoes and so little of everything else. I think I'll have some beans and salsa for dinner to balance things out a bit
MaryW

Postby Starchyme » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:07 pm

MaryW wrote:I'll have to try oat bran. I always figured it was like eating concentrated oats and that would be even MORE painful!

For me, not. But everybody's system is different. I do sometimes mix the two and don't have quite as much problem.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby MelissaB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:43 am

Just checking in. Things are going well this week!
MelissaB

Postby CarolWL » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 am

I'm back, but not doing so well the past couple of weeks, McD-wise. Mom is still in the hospital, and I"m still driving back and forth across the state to tend to her. I've gained (only) 2 lbs in that time, though, so it's not too too bad. The good thing is, she comes home this weekend, and I'll have to start cooking for her now, so instead of being at the hospital or running errands all day, I can shop and cook. Fortunately, she's not big on meat, so I can slip some McD food in there, and she'll never notice.

I'm home only about 3 or 4 days a week these days, and most of that time is spent working. (I'm self-employed.) DH is wonderful; he shops and cooks, but his McD repertoire is about nil. It's becoming next to impossible to have enough energy for my mother, my job, and McD. (I would have added "my husband," but he is self-sufficient, and in times like this, is the least needy person in my life.) Not to mention, we have two grown kids and a grandchild, and they're getting the short end, too.

Well, I apologize for going on and on. I'm doing my best right now.
CarolWL

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 am

Folks on the go, simplfy. bake a bunch of taters at once (saves energy too) or cook a bunch a rice at once. Then play the dump and go game. It helps to get through the tough times.

taters - I dump on a can of corn, black beans, salsa (lasts for 2-3 taters so instantly I have 2-3 meals). I dump on frozen (which I've steamed) broc, cauli, carrot blends, then cover in jarred marinara. Again 2-3 meals. mcd's right foods black bean soup is great on taters too or rice. I also dump on canned Amy's vegetable soups on my tater.

Rice - triple succotash or canned (or my frozen) chili, or canned or frozen asian veggies, and a shake of soy sauce (If I use both the canned and the frozen veggies I'll get four meals out of that).

Do I get tired of this yes, that's why I keep many of my own frozen soups and stews in the freezer, cause thawing and throwing those over things are even better. But for a pinch, I can get buy a week with little effort. I do go through the effort to make up these in advance, and store ready to roll. it doesn't take long and takes care of a week. Then maybe friday splurge and have a wendy's couple taters and salad or a subway sub.

MaryW - The tater is the most transportable and less messy. Are you a desk worker? I often work while eating lunch. As long as the phone doesn't ring I'm fine :P
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program