APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

food safety

Postby Riva » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:36 am

LauraA - I would worry about eating something, even cooked plant food- left out longer than 5 or 6 hours. You can buy these little canvas lunch carriers with a place for a frozen ice packet that could make all the difference.

Someone on the forum said that they eat or travel with dried sweet potatoes. I have been thinking of that for my trip coming up. (should I survive tax season). I have a dehydrator and plan to make them myself.

I have traveled before with uncooked food: rice cakes, oranges and apples. but then I was eating nuts and that made a big differences in calorie consumption. (for hunger satisfaction while traveling). Now I don't eat nuts and I am exploring new travel ideas.

Oh, what about baking garbanza beans till they are kind of dried. I have heard people do that for a snack...but it would be safe and good for travel too.

Riva
Riva

Letha

Postby Riva » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:37 am

Letha - GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Riva
Riva

Postby LauraA » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:02 am

Letha. wrote:Checking in. I’m not feeling well today but I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. I’ll check back tomorrow.
Letha

Oh my goodness - feel better soon! I'll be thinking of you. Take care,Laura
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby topview1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:06 am

Good afternoon. On plan and planning to stay that way, today :) Last night was a feast night. Our family got together for the holiday (15 adults & 17 children), and while I avoided the meat, I did eat the veggie salads that had oil in them and the banana/oatbran/cherry muffins (way to many) I made. The scale showed up 3lbs from weigh in... A bit of McDougall's revenge last night and this morning, but that has settled down and onward to today :lol:

Fit 10 and NEWO first thing this morning.
steel cut oats, sour cherries and honey
oriental veggie mix, potato, sweetpotato and salad
banana
more snack to come as it is only 1:00
planning on taters for dinner, maybe a soup as well
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Checking In

Postby janluvs2heel » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:32 pm

Okay,

I am checking in. I really dont want to weigh myself every week as my focus is better health but I went ahead & did weigh myself, another 1 1/2 lbs gone, a little over 10 lbs gone in 2 weeks. I didn't have a perfect week. It seems like everyone at work has decided to bring in goodies. I try to stay out of the lunch room but my food has to be back there, too. So yes, I did have a few tastes, I haven't wavered off my McD. foods though, for my main meals. Usually in the past, when I start to eat sweets, etc. again, I end up just chucking it in, then going for fast food in addition to whatever else I may eat. This time it is different. I am not going to beat myself up about it & give myself a chance to quite yet again.

I am gong to try a few new recipes. I am just not a cook but it would be nice to just have some stuff that I could eat for a few days, as long as it is easy.

Letha, I hope you are feeling better.

Here's to a great week, everyone.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Starchyme » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Letha, hope you are feeling better by now.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby cowgirrlup » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:16 pm

I ate way too much today. I guess its OK since it was all MWL food. It was rainy & gloomy today and I guess I was bored. It could have been a lot worse! I used to eat cookies and chips when I was bored, not baked potatoes, strawberries & pineapple.

WE can do this.

Letha, feel better soon.
I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long.

The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
cowgirrlup

Postby slugmom » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 am

Letha, I hope you're feeling better!

I'm on day 4! My weight is up a little (that's what I get for weighing in daily!) but I'm sticking to the plan because I know it works.

I'm banking on having had 3 good days that I don't want to undermine, in order to get through today. We're having dinner with my parents and it will be a feast day there, but there should be plain rice & steamed veggies to choose from. :)
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Letha. » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:04 am

Checking in. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way.
Letha
Letha.

Good Morning I'm new

Postby catherine1305 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 am

Hi all:
I have been off and on McD for several years. My husband eats mostly SAD except I got him to give up beef and pork.

My weight, blood pressure and triglycerides are high. When I stick to the plan I have energy and my tests are low. I just got my blood work back and my triglyc are up. My doctor is a pill pusher and it is hard to get her to let me try something different especially when I fall off. I resolve to stick to it this time. I have been on for 3 days. I get motivated when I see the videos.

Thanks for letting me vent. My name is Cathy I'm in California. I have to means to get the weight off and stay healthy I just need to apply it to my life.

Thanks again
Cathy :)
catherine1305

Joining in!

Postby JessNZ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:24 pm

This looks great! Just what I need to keep me in focus...

Good luck everyone!
JessNZ

Postby txveggie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 pm

So how did everyone do today? We went out to Luby's for Easter lunch with the family and I did fairly good. Blackeyed peas, green beans and sweet potatoes with fruit salad for dessert. I walked 2 miles this afternoon at the beach so it was a good day. :)
txveggie

Easter

Postby txjack » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi all,
I did pretty well today. My wife and I ate out and went to a new place, it looked like a chain. It is called Mama Fu's. It was very much like a Pei Wei chinese resturant.

When I ate at Pei Wei, I wasn't looking for a vegan slant w/no oil so don't know if they have that. At Mama Fu's they did have ONE plate with steamed veggies with white rice. That was it. It was ok but not much food for such a price. $7.19 for about a cup of rice and 3/4 cup of veggies. It came in a bamboo steamer and was cool and all that, but honestly I left hungry. Also, no one knew what was in anything. I asked about sauces that came on the side (you get two) but no one knew whether it had oil or sugar in it. So, unless you got the steamed veg/rice dish, you had no idea what was in any dish at all.

At church there was loads of fried chicken and other things. I honestly didn't want to walk around with a diet soda watching everyone else eat. So we left and went out.

My only complaint in life right now is coming up with a dressing that I won't have to make to keep it program safe. The vinegar types are pretty thin and anything else seems to have oil. I really would like something that I could just buy.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEU0X7/]
[/url]
txjack

Postby MaryW » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Just checking in...

So many people here eat oats for breakfast. I have trouble with oats. I get terrible gas and abdominal pain when I eat it. It's worse sometimes that others. That's unfortunate because I know how healthy oats are. In that Cholesterol Down book, the author said that barley and oats have the same beneficial type of soluble fiber. So I thought I would give barley another try. The last time I made it (a few months ago) I choked down a bit and the rest sat in my fridge for a couple of weeks until I threw it out. So I thought I would try to make it the way people have made oats. I didn't have any cherries, so I cooked the barley with some apples. I couldn't find the cinnamon, so I added some pumpkin pie spice (which of course has cinnamon in it). I had to cook it for a while--about an hour--then I added a spoonful of brown sugar. It was so good! I got some zucchini today--oops! still forgot cherries--so I will add that to the next batch.

We had a family dinner today--a combination Easter/Passover affair. I took the herbed lentils and rice posted on the old McDougall site. That is one of my favorite dishes. And it makes my place smell great while it's baking! I also took a carrot jicama salad from the Cholesterol Down book. It had a dressing that called for nutritional yeast. I couldn't seem to get to a place that sold it this week, so I just used some fat free salad dressing I already had--Old Cape Cod Sesame Soy and Ginger. Also a favorite. I wasn't sure how people would feel about jicama. This was actually the first time I tried it myself. But it was a hit! My family is pretty adventurous with food. They'll try anything once. My mom (who is McDougalling with me) brought her world famous baked beans. They are vegan (since she no longer uses canned beans with bacon in them) but they ARE high in sugar--ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup. Still, it's a familiar favorite that everyone loves.

It's always hard to tell what is McDougall safe at a buffet. My aunt is always making salads, but she hoses them down in olive oil. Another person makes a GREAT tasting ceasar salad. I only just learned that IT is hosed down in olive oil too. There was a great looking orzo salad with asparagus, but it was much too shiny. One of my cousins, who is a vegetarian, brought a black bean salad. It didn't look shiny, so I took some. it was quite tasty. I asked her later what was in it. She said the recipe had been passed friend to friend and she didn't have any measurements. But it was black beans, red pepper, corn, cilantro, green onions moistened with salsa. So simple, and so good! And McDougall friendly. :)

One more thing...we had TWO kinds of Passover cake. One was made with 9 eggs and almond meal and covered in chocolate sauce. The other was made with 8 eggs and matzo meal. Yikes! And of course accompanied by 3 kinds of ice cream. Someone did bring a huge bowl of strawberries to go with the cake. I tried to tell myself that I could have a tiny piece of cake. It's only once a year, right? I could have lots of strawberries with it, right? Just a LITTLE piece. Well, my mother, bless her heart, encouraged me NOT to eat cake and just have strawberries. Thank you, Mom! Usually she would have a piece and encourage me to have "just a bite." She's really trying hard to follow MWL. We even went outside and walked around the yard a bit! Normally, she spends the entire family visit sitting. I'm so proud of her! And I can't tell you what a relief it is to have someone else around who is also following the same eating plan I am!
MaryW

Exercise this week

Postby LauraA » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:27 pm

I've been loving my bike so much in this nice Georgia weather. I rode 5 days this week for at least 40 minutes, usually more. I only did Curves once. I leave tomorrow for Australia. I'm not taking the Aqua Bells, but I'm taking walking DVD with an exercise band. I'll check in from Down Under!! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program