APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Letha. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 am

Checking in. I’m on plan & planning to stay that way. Still not feeling well. I wrote more about it in my journal. I’ll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Letha.

Postby topview1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Late check in today,

On plan as far as food, but I haven't done my workout today.

Oatmeal, mulberries, honey and jasmine tea
banana
potato, sweetpotato, oriental veggie mix with some awesome Thai Peanut sauce that has no oil or salt added, that I found at the grocery store.
http://www.mrspice.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=6
http://www.mrspice.com/
(I've tried the Thai Peanut, Sweet and Sour & Indian Curry)
banana
banana
Supper will be potato/carrot/sweet potato baked in the oven with whatever toppings people want.

Does anyone have any no/low salt boughten salsa suggestions? I went crazy with the salsa on my hash browns yesterday, and could defiantly feel the extra salt in thirst last night. I weighed myself this morning, just to see, and sure enough the salt has caused an increase, even with a perfectly mwl day. Our bodies are so fascinating!
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Postby beanie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 pm

I'd like to join in today. I was considering waiting until the first of May since this seems to be a monthly collection of posts, but after thinking about it, decided to join mid-month since I'm on a roll with MWL and want to keep up with things.
I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and share.
My goals for the (rest of the) month are to get completely on track with MWL by stocking up on essentials and planning my meals ahead. Excercise-wise, I'm going to stick to my running schedule and be sure to get out of the office at least long enough for a short walk at lunch time.
I'll start thinking of a reasonable weight-loss goal and be ready to commit to it by the time May rolls along.
beanie

Thanks!

Postby JessNZ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Reading this topic has made me vow to put away the handmade choc/fluff
Easter Egg I was given this morning and not nibble on it! I have too much
Easter chocolate - even though it's vegan...
JessNZ

Postby MaryW » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 pm

I had a good day today, foodwise. I baked a big pan of sweet potatoes last night. I tried the sweet potato beginnings that I saw on Letha's website. Very tasty! For lunch, I had the last of my Easter dinner food--herbed lentils and rice and carrot/jicama salad. A sweet potato for an afternoon snack. For dinner I had a can of vegetarian chili that I found at Kroger. Most canned veggie chili's I've seen are crazy high in fat and sodium. This one only had one gram of fat per serving (2 for the can) and hardly and sodium. It WAS a bit bland, so I added some hot sauce and ate it with rice cakes. Tasty!

I feel like I'm doing really well. I'm not 100 percent MWL, but I'm not stressing about it. I've had some dried fruit this week and the chili had soy meat in it. And regular exercise is still a problem for me. But I feel healthy and optimistic. A good attitude is very important! And of course, I can't stay off the scale and I'm happy to say it's moving in the right direction again.

Faith--to answer your question, I can't eat at my desk. It's in an open area and I can't have food there. Plus I don't want people staring at me while I eat. If the break room is unavailable, we have to go elsewhere. Some of my coworkers eat in their cars, but I just think that is sad. Humans should eat sitting at a table! So I usually end up at Subway. It's not bad, but I get frustrated when I have tasty (and already paid for) food in the fridge that i can't get to! (sigh) My work situation stinks. I've been self-medicating with food the last couple of years do to job related stress. I know I need to find a new job. One step at a time.
MaryW

Postby Letha. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Welcome JessNZ, Figpiglet, & Beanie! I love to see new faces with new enthusiasim. :-D I hope to hear lots more from all of you. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha.

Postby Letha. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:16 pm

MaryW wrote:I had a good day today, foodwise. I baked a big pan of sweet potatoes last night. I tried the sweet potato beginnings that I saw on Letha's website. Very tasty!

Mary,
I just wanted to share that this week I’ve tried yams with kiwi, pears and even blueberries. They all go together very well, just like the yam/banana/apple combo of sweet potato beginnings. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby Letha. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 am

Reminder
Thursday Is Weigh-In Day

If you’d like to participate, please post your results sometime on Thursday and I’ll add them up for the group on Friday morning.
Letha.

Postby Letha. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:59 am

Good morning all. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. For anyone who hasn’t seen my journal, I thought I’d share here that I’ve started an elimination diet to try and identify some food sensitivities. I’m on day 5 of the initial phase and so far my IBS has calmed down and my sinuses are very clear. So here is pretty much what I’ll be eating daily for the next few weeks.

Breakfast: Baked Yam, Sliced Pear, & A Handful Of Blueberries
Lunch: Plain Boiled White Potato, Carrot, Celery, Green Beans & Brown Rice
Afternoon Snack: Baked Yam & Sliced Kiwi
Dinner: Plain Boiled White Potato, Carrot, Celery, Green Beans, Zucchini, & Brown Rice
Beverages: Water, Mint Tea

No salt or seasoning or any other ingredients.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.
Letha
Letha.

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:43 am

Letha I'm glad you have gotten things to settle down. I hope you find the soure of the problems.

Topview - that thai peanut sauce sounds good (so do some of the others on the website) I'm going to have to watch for them.

MaryW - that's terrible. You shouldn't feel forced into buying lunch either. I agree with eating at a table but I'm afraid I'd be one in the car. I bring my food each day and I can't afford to eat out, so I'd be there in the car. My reading would get caught up though LOL.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

hello

Postby catherine1305 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi
That chili rellano recipe was in Dr. McDougall's latest newsletter. I altered a bit no tofu sour cream and something else.

I mashed potatoes and yams together. I put in some no salt mexican seasoning. I just bought some canned green chilis in water and loaded the mashed potatoes in the chilis and put them opening side down and poured some mile enchilada sauce over them and sprinkled a little flax meal to hopefully make a little crunchy. I baked for 20 minutes. They were very good.

I try to make do with what I have in the house I don't like to shop and we only shop on weekends if I don't remember to put on the list something I might need I have to substitute.

Cathy
catherine1305

Postby Birdy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 pm

Hello everyone! I just returned from vacation in Mexico and had a wonderful time except for a bit of Montezuma's revenge. Am starting to feel better though now that I'm home and able to eat good plain McDougall foods. I lost weight on the trip due to lots of walking and swimming in the beautiful azure and turquoise waters of the Carribean (we were in Akumal in the Yucatan). I was struck by how few fresh vegetables are available in that area to locals and tourists alike. Traveling in Mexico (and probably in many other areas as well) while McDougalling is next to impossible unless you plan ahead and do most of your own cooking while there. One thing I noticed over and over again is how healthy the local people of Mayan descent are there. I saw many women in their 60s and 70s who look wonderful and are slim and fit from a lot of walking and generally being active in their everyday lives. They eat plenty of homemade corn tortillas, and of course rice and beans! I noticed that authenic foods which were served in tacorillas and restaurants usually included very little if any cheese, and were light and served small portions, not the giant portions we see in Mexican restaurants in the US. Wonderful trip. Anyway, I'm posting late into this April MWL weigh in. I'm finding that participating in this forum helpful - it gives me a sense of comraderie (how do you spell that) and accountability. Also, Letha thank you for your excellent summary of the MWL principles. I'm going to print a copy of that and post it on my fridge!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby txveggie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 pm

I am so excited! I had a DR appt. today and my blood pressure was way down. It usually hovers at around 128/92 and when my weight is down and I am exercising the bottom number might be in the mid 80s, well today it was 110/72!!! I have never had that low of BP before. :D

I think it is a combo of things, McD diet, exercise and I gave up caffine after watching one of McD's videos where he talked about caffine and BP. Whoo-hoo!
txveggie

Postby topview1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 am

First check in this morning :)

I'm down 1.5lbs from last week to 105. Almost competely MWL week this week, and I feel pretty good. It sure helped that any snacks/dessert that I made this week wasn't quite McD, so I was able to keep my mouth out of it :lol:

On plan and planning to stay that way.
Oatmeal flax and mulberries
banana
lentil soup and potatoes
banana or apple
pizza for the troops, more lentil soup and taters for me
banana?

I took my ticker down because it has served its purpose. I'm really curious now just how low my weight will go following MWL. I still have a tummy (maybe that is permanent after 4 babies), but my ribs show. All of my clothes fit or fall off :) I lost 21 total lbs on MWL since just after Christmas. I feel so good on MWL, and as soon as I add flour I go crazy. I know this has to be a life long thing if I am going to keep feeling this good. I plan to stick around on this thread, because I know I can't feel this good going it alone. I need the support here to keep myself accountable.
Last edited by topview1 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Australia!!

Postby LauraA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:15 am

Hi everyone, and welcome to those who are new and have just joined us. I'm visiting my son in Sydney Australia, and it is so amazing. As promised, I've brought my lap top, so you are all here with me. I've been here for two days, and I've walked all day both days. Today I walked across the Harbor Bridge (that's different from the bridge climb, which I did not do). Anyway, the walk was amazing, and I also climbed up a 200 step tower to an observation deck. The view was great. I did very well on the steps and on all of my other walking. My son is healthy and happy, and made tons of plans for me to see sights and meet his friends. FOod is going well - dinners have had some added oil, and I've had nuts on cereal and had some nuts on the plane. The amazing thing is that I notice that I am really not craving anything. It is such a nice feeling!! I'll write more when I have time. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program