APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

passover and if it seems too good to be true.....

Postby Riva » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:04 am

Well, team lots of interesting things to report. I made the charoset dish as CarolWL suggested - leaving out the nuts. And it worked very well!! I didn't feel deprived of my favorite passover food. Thanks Carol.

Now you have to understand that this is a FEAST and my plan was to stay on plan 100%. No matzah ball soup - not even the vegan version made for my husband and daughter. No of all the other things...won't even list.

but my host was upset to see that he didn't have an entree for me. I tried to convince him that the salad, asparagus and the single serving of rice and beans I brought for myself were plenty. He wouldn't have it. He is a wonderful hippy cook and he asked if he could make me a water/wine sautee of vegetables and tofu. I gave in. Well, it was amazing. It was so tasty with carrots and garlic and ginger. While I was going for the second (HUGE) serving I started to wonder....how could this taste this way and not have oil. I looked at it. I thought and then I just stuffed the thought.

Later, not too long later I started to feel overly full...you know that old feeling you used to get with SAD. I said, Mark, that tofu was so great...what kind was it. He thought for a second and then said, OH NO....I sauteed that tofu yesterday in olive oil and then broiled it. Then today I took it out of the fridge for you and sauteed it in water and wine but I forgot about how I had fried it yesterday.

I was so bummed....more at myself...I didn't really think that Mark had deliberatly gone against my wishes...not at all...but when I was eating that second serving I should have stopped myself and I didn't. Things just don't taste like that without added fats. Not even tofu which is high fat all on its own.

Grrrrrrr......

Otherwise I am doing well..on plan...getting through the last of tax season. Working hard.

Riva
Riva

Weigh-in

Postby Starchyme » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:03 am

Well, last Saturday I went to lunch at a vegan Chinese restaurant. The salt was unbelievable, causing a 1 lb weight gain. However, during the week I managed to lose it, along with one more. So, weigh-in today ended up a 1 pound weight loss for the week.

My goal this week is to get moving on my physical fitness program. Going to the gym 3 times for strength training and will walk no less than 3 times, but aiming for 5.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Re: yoga!

Postby LauraA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:32 am

MaryW wrote:txveggie, I just wanted to tell you that I'm so glad that you are taking a yoga class. I've taken several and I have enjoyed all of them. Sometimes I get funny looks from the other (usually very thin) students. You don't see many 300 lb people doing downward dog! But it's great exercise, great stress relief and just plain fun. Your teacher should be able to show you how to modify the poses so you can do them. I know sometimes I am not strong enough or my tummy gets in the way. Or your teacher can show you a pose to do instead, like doing child's pose if you aren't ready for down dog. Good luck and have fun!

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a yoga DVD made by Just My Size. It is wonderful! I've never actually taken a class, but this DVD is great - the woman leading it is lovely, and definitely "full figured". Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:36 am

Hi All - I'm down 1 pound this week, and that's great! I leave for Australia on Monday, so this will be my last weigh in for awhile. I'm so excited!! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 am

Vanita-Mary's Mini is a stricter diet - you stick with one starch and veggies. MWL is a plan that is similar to regular McDougall, but eliminates nuts, avocados and flour. Regular McDougall is starch based vegan low fat (not added fat) program. I'm sure that Letha can come along and give you a better description or links to each program.
Riva- I think that you did your best. Also, it was a feast day, and won't happen often.

HealthE1- Good job with the weight loss, even after the Chinese Food!
Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:45 am

I alreaady posted my weight loss, but forgot to post my whole record of losses, so here it is. I find this really helpful! I hope that everyone had a successful week. Take care, LauraA

April 9, 2009 - down 1 pound
April 2, 2009 - down .5 pound
March 26, 2009 - down 1 pound
March 19,2009 - down 2.5 pounds
March 12,2009 - down 2 pounds
March 5, 2009 - down 1 pound
Feb 26, 2009 - down 2 pounds
Feb 19, 2009 - down 1.5 pounds
Feb 12, 2009 - down 1.5 pounds
Feb 6,2009 - down 1 pound
Jan 22, 2008 - down 2 pounds
Jan 8, 2008 - down 1.5 pounds
Jan 1, 09 - down 1.5 pounds
Dec 25, 08- down 3 pounds
Dec 18, '08 - down 2.5 pounds
Dec 11, '08 - down .5 pound
Dec 4, '08 - down 2 pounds
Month of Nov, '08 - down 10 pounds

Letha
LauraA

Postby MelissaB » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 am

Hi! I'm down 1.4 pounds this week!
MelissaB

Postby topview1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 am

I weighed in at the same as last week this morning. Even eating a lot, if it is the right foods, it doesn't cause the problems that eating junk does.

It amazes me how good I feel. Every time I look in the mirror, I am a little shocked at how blue my eyes are after 3 1/2 months on MWL with no junk. It happened to me before after several months of a raw vegan, but I feel as good or better now and this I will be able to maintain because it is normal and meets my needs :).

Fit 10 and through the NEWO workout twice. I was getting kind of immune to it, having done it for 2 months, so doing it twice steps it up a notch.

Oatmeal with cherries and honey, green tea
grapefruit or pear/kale/ginger green smoothe
rice and veggies
oat bran muffin from day 5 of the free plan
ministrone soup and rice

Lots of sewing going on here, I finally found my motivation and went out and got some neat fabric from the thrift store. It will be interesting to see what happens. There is a possible chance I could get preg. this cycle (oops), and as healthy as I feel :eek: We will take what comes, and be happy with either outcome, but my last two boys were the absolute first possible chances after several months of eating raw - this was the one reason I kind of hesitated about going mwl :D
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Postby marlie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 am

I'm still here and still trying! I'm not totally giving up but I did have a cheat lastnight and I'm finding myself drinking coffee again.. :(
My cheat was eating vegan pancakes I made.. I'm finding myself frustrated over the lack of weightloss and hopefully it won't lead me to more cheating. Like eating pasta.lol
I'll weigh myself here in a bit. I know there is no loss though.
I wonder if I should lessen up on the amount of rice and potatoes I'm eating.. Or can it be the beans? My absolute favorite meal is rice with beans, tomatoes, onion and corn. Maybe it can be stalling my weightloss?
I really like rice with a little soy sauce too but it isn't very filling.

Oh, I'm STILL waiting on my treadmill too... So, should I try lessening my food first or just waiting to see what happens when I begin on my treadmill? Any suggestions?
marlie

Postby topview1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 am

marlie wrote:I'm still here and still trying! I'm not totally giving up but I did have a cheat lastnight and I'm finding myself drinking coffee again.. :(
My cheat was eating vegan pancakes I made.. I'm finding myself frustrated over the lack of weightloss and hopefully it won't lead me to more cheating. Like eating pasta.lol
I'll weigh myself here in a bit. I know there is no loss though.
I wonder if I should lessen up on the amount of rice and potatoes I'm eating.. Or can it be the beans? My absolute favorite meal is rice with beans, tomatoes, onion and corn. Maybe it can be stalling my weightloss?
I really like rice with a little soy sauce too but it isn't very filling.

Oh, I'm STILL waiting on my treadmill too... So, should I try lessening my food first or just waiting to see what happens when I begin on my treadmill? Any suggestions?

Don't lessen food, just up the veggies! That is what works for me. If I "lessen" then I have a backlash later and eat more than I would have to start with. For MWL, it you want faster loss, just make sure 1/3 to 1/2 of your plate is lower calorie density veggies. I keep a selection of frozen veggies in the freezer and just microwave a cup or two of whatever I am feeling like at meal time and top it with a nice low salt salsa or dressing. It crowds out the heavier foods without "cutting back."
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Down 1.6 this week

Postby Love the Lorax » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:01 am

I've been overall much better behaved this week, one day of naughtiness. I'm ready to face another week, really keep to the plan and lose some more weight.
Love the Lorax

Postby Terry in FL » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:28 am

Finally back on track after taking a sidetrack in Feb for my son's wedding festivities. Not sure if it is because I'm fighting bronchitis or the fact that the cupboards are bare and I've been too lazy to cook but I'm down 3.4 since I weighed 5 days ago. I'll take it anyway I can get it!

I'm down a total of 27.4 since Jan 1.

Wishing all of you a Happy Easter and/or Passover.
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff
Terry in FL

Postby marlie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:33 am

topview1 wrote:Don't lessen food, just up the veggies! That is what works for me. If I "lessen" then I have a backlash later and eat more than I would have to start with. For MWL, it you want faster loss, just make sure 1/3 to 1/2 of your plate is lower calorie density veggies. I keep a selection of frozen veggies in the freezer and just microwave a cup or two of whatever I am feeling like at meal time and top it with a nice low salt salsa or dressing. It crowds out the heavier foods without "cutting back."

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks!:)

No weightloss this week as suspected..
marlie

Postby mairead11 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 am

I am down 1lb finally! It's not much and it's a pound I already lost [and found!] in Feb/Mar—but it IS encouraging to have the number be less than it was last week, so I'm incredibly thankful for that! I was beginning to wonder what was going on.

My exercise routine had been thrown out the window, and even though I'm not yet back on schedule, I am exercising at every opportunity I can take. Still looking forward to getting back on track completely.

:D Happy [insert your holiday here]!
Mairead
mairead11

Postby Starchyme » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:44 am

mairead11 wrote:I am down 1lb finally! It's not much

I tend to think that way, also, but actually any loss is good. I get a reality check everytime I think of a pound of butter or beef and realize what a pound really looks like. Now I am very happy to see a pound trimmed from my body. Happy McDougalling!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program