May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Zoey » Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: - .5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Oh no...
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I had a good week staying away from the wine, even on Mother's Day! But I did have a sliver of coconut cake. Luckily it didn't start a crazy sugar binge. Still, I know it's easier to stay away from it all together.
I also had a flour tortilla one evening after all my yummy veggies and rice and beans. I'm not sure why I caved. I think I was still hungry, but too impatient to wait a few minutes to see if I was full.
Anyway, neither of my 'ooopsies' were even that great. Self-sabotage is weird. :?
So I'll take my half pound loss and lessons learned. "Dear Zoey, white flour is NOT that great."

Thanks, Mark! Good job, everyone!

And frowsyowl, yeah, I knew about that 3am gravity thing. :wink:
Zoey

Postby CindyD » Sat May 15, 2021 6:43 am

May 7, 2021 140.2
May 15, 2021 139.6
RESULT -0.6

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO, but better!
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES

No nuts or seeds this week. A few pieces of Bavarian pretzel but less than previously! And finally broke into the 130s which is crazy, (and also took longer than it could have, but that's ok)! Better weather means longer walks with dogs, and I've even made a few inquiries about hiring a trainer for a short time this summer as a kickstart. Good work reporting everyone! Thanks as always, Mark! :)
CindyD

Postby Gimmelean » Sat May 15, 2021 9:34 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: 0
5/06/2021. 131.0
5/14/2021. 131.0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 100%

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume).100%

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 100%

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 90%

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).100%

6. Eliminate any added oil. 90%

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, popcorn and dried fruit. 80%

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 95%

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 90%

Victories, comments, concerns, questions.
When I look back at my resolve a year ago at this time it seems that it was much easier to lose weight and not give in to temptation. I’m relieved that my weight has stayed the same this week as last week after giving in to foods I swore I’d stay away from. I know from my own experience and from everyone else’s here in the discussion that the Pleasure Trap is the bane of weight management and that’s why it seemed easier then for me. I stuck to saying no. This week I’m going to work on really getting back on track and knuckling through because just a taste always leads to big lapses and I really don’t want to let go as I have in the past.
Have a good week everyone!
Gimmelean

Postby texaslil » Sat May 15, 2021 9:55 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
-1.4 lbs

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). ONE MEAL WITH CASHEWS
6. Eliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 5/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: This week I have really tried to focus in on where I am going wrong. There is one main area that I have noticed needs more work. Breakfast is on auto pilot with my 50/50 plate of veggies (usually broccoli or brussel sprouts) and oatmeal topped w/banana and grapes, I look forward to this every day and love it. I am so full from this meal, eaten around noon, that I don't usually feel like snacking in between that and dinner. Dinner is where it all goes south. This is a shared meal with my family and I have been trying to make some of our usual wfpb meals that sometimes call for the optional avocado/tofu/cashews and I just haven't had the will power to serve this to my family and not partake myself. So, as I've known for a while I need to work on eliminating these things from my household, but I'm still worried of 'depriving' my kids of the good fats.. should I be worried about this?? I wish I had the willpower to say no to these things but I really just don't. I need to do more reading on eliminating these things from my teenagers' diets, since they don't need to lose any weight and are healthy otherwise. So, the lesson for me is that I need to find my 'veggie/oatmeal' combo for dinner and stick with it.

I did add in more potatoes this week and I think that has helped. I will keep working at it! and hopefully will find a way to keep my dinner meals compliant.

Have a great weekend everyone!
texaslil

Reporting for May 14 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for May 14 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Noella - Kudos to you for being so mindful of the effects "straying" can induce! Those little, not so pleasant, reminders from our body can really help reaffirm our motivations, right? To paraphrase Dr. Lisle, "Don't lose the lesson!" :nod:

chef16 - The scale and your behaviors are both moving in the right direction, Doreen! Applying some thoughtful effort to eliminating those remaining calorie rich foods is a great way to support further progress. Do any ideas come to mind for how you might work toward that?

Zoey - Hooray for banishing the wine! :thumbsup: Isn't it interesting how those "ooopsies" usually don't live up to our imagination? That seems like valuable information to inform future decision-making. ;-)

CindyD - 9 YESes, no nuts or seeds, and substantial progress with the flour products; well done! Congratulations for working your way into the 130s! :D Enjoy that lovely weather and keep at it.

Gimmelean - Taking some time to reflect on where you are, where you have been, and where you would like to be seems to have offered some useful insights. :nod: The nature of our broader, societal food environment makes the Pleasure Trap an ever-present threat. As you observe, avoiding that trap entirely usually feels much easier than habitually dipping in and out (which can often lead to diving in headfirst! :shock: ) I applaud your resolve not to let some small lapses lead to bigger ones. :thumbsup: Knowing that eventually you'll be free from the Pleasure Trap's baneful influence helps make a period of "white knuckling it" feel worthwhile, right?

texaslil - That is real progress! The time spent clearly considering the challenges you've been facing seems well-applied. :nod: Are there any of those higher fat plant foods that your family enjoys, but are not to your liking? Could you make a MWL adherent supper dish with more calorie rich add-ins for you family? Would it help to only purchase those foods in smaller quantities and keep them segregated so you feel less tempted? Here is an informative newsletter article from Dr. McDougall discussing Diet, Children, and the Future.
Mark Cooper

Postby CindyD » Sat May 15, 2021 1:02 pm

texaslil wrote:Breakfast is on auto pilot with my 50/50 plate of veggies (usually broccoli or brussel sprouts) and oatmeal topped w/banana and grapes, I look forward to this every day and love it. I am so full from this meal, eaten around noon, that I don't usually feel like snacking in between that and dinner. Dinner is where it all goes south. This is a shared meal with my family and I have been trying to make some of our usual wfpb meals that sometimes call for the optional avocado/tofu/cashews and I just haven't had the will power to serve this to my family and not partake myself. So, as I've known for a while I need to work on eliminating these things from my household, but I'm still worried of 'depriving' my kids of the good fats.. should I be worried about this??

Hi texaslil! Is there a reason you are only doing two meals a day? I can only speak for myself of course, but I have never done any kind of intermittent fasting or limited meals, and that hasn't affected my weight loss or plan compliance, and it's not actually part of the MWL, so I wonder if you feel it's necessary when maybe it isn't? I wonder if you are so tempted by the dinner foods because you are hungrier than you need to be? What if you had a small lunch, or heck even a small bowl of oatmeal and fruit before you start cooking, or something along those lines?

Just a thought! Good luck this week, whatever you decide!
CindyD

Weigh-In Report Compilation - May 14, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 15, 2021 1:08 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for May 14 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for May 14 - Part 2

By my count, 17 participants reported for our second May 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the second Friday in May:

Week ending 5/14/2021: 17 participants reported a total change of -8.50 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Bunsofaluminum +2.00
Carwex +1.10
Alishana +0.20
Rebecka22 +0.20
Total gains: +3.50
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Gimmelean 0.00
GreenFroG 0.00
HoustonJason 0.00
Noella 0.00
Zoey -0.50
CindyD -0.60
Chef16 -1.00
Rachael -1.00
PonysPlants -1.20
Texaslil -1.40
Frowsyowl -1.80
Ruff -2.10
Kappagator_96 -2.40
Total losses: -12.00
Cumulative group loss for May 2021 to date: 19.00 pounds
Average loss for week ending May 14: 0.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, May 21, 2021.

3 CHEERS for this amazing group of people! I find your continuing efforts very inspiring, and it is a rare privilege to help "set the course." :D

To close out this week, here is a link to one of my favorite articles: How to Successfully Count Calories!

Additionally, I found this post, in which Jeff discusses his reasons for "setting a high bar," to be both enlightening and quite encouraging.

Take care everyone! Have a great week, do your best, and be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby texaslil » Sat May 15, 2021 1:28 pm

CindyD wrote:
texaslil wrote:

Hi texaslil! Is there a reason you are only doing two meals a day? I can only speak for myself of course, but I have never done any kind of intermittent fasting or limited meals, and that hasn't affected my weight loss or plan compliance, and it's not actually part of the MWL, so I wonder if you feel it's necessary when maybe it isn't? I wonder if you are so tempted by the dinner foods because you are hungrier than you need to be? What if you had a small lunch, or heck even a small bowl of oatmeal and fruit before you start cooking, or something along those lines?

Just a thought! Good luck this week, whatever you decide!

Hi CindyD, thank you so much for your thoughtful words. I have thought of that as well. The main reason I don't eat breakfast is because I don't generally feel hungry in the morning and then get busy with work. I sometimes sip on black coffee during the morning but I am actually starting to replace coffee with green juice on some mornings as a way to wean myself off of the coffee. I am putting tumeric in my green juice because I feel like I have some inflammation from the coffee. I know juice is not recommended either but I just don't feel hungry enough to have my oatmeal at that time. When I do have my bowl of oatmeal it is a hearty bowl. I might try adding in a salad or veggies between the meals. Again thanks for your words.
texaslil

Re: Mark's Replies for May 14 - Part 2

Postby texaslil » Sun May 16, 2021 8:32 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
texaslil - That is real progress! The time spent clearly considering the challenges you've been facing seems well-applied. :nod: Are there any of those higher fat plant foods that your family enjoys, but are not to your liking? Could you make a MWL adherent supper dish with more calorie rich add-ins for you family? Would it help to only purchase those foods in smaller quantities and keep them segregated so you feel less tempted? Here is an informative newsletter article from Dr. McDougall discussing Diet, Children, and the Future.

Thank you so much Mark for posing these questions to me. I want to write to tell you that each week I read your words to me and it always means so much and gives me 'food for thought', so I want to be sure to let you know that, even though I don't always respond :) I like the add-in idea, except that I generally can't restrain myself from also adding in :lol: , I know it's horrible but it's always soo tempting. My goal this week is really to focus on dinner and any after-dinner snacking to make sure I don't add in any non-compliant foods. I am going to keep the 10 point checklist close by so that I can refer to to easily as an ongoing reminder. Also, this week I planned a menu that does NOT incorporate any avocado or tofu. I'll let you know how it goes! And thank you for sharing the article, I love reading more about this woe, so informative!
texaslil

Postby JeffN » Mon May 17, 2021 8:05 am

Greetings everyone. it is great to see so many of you participating in the MWL group. A special thanks to Mark and Wild Goose for an incredible job as moderators.

Just a reminder, there in only one requirement to join this thread, and that is that you follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss program as defined by the two links below.

MWL Guidelines
MWL guidelines

10 Point Checklist
MWL 10-Point Checklist

If you are not familiar with them, please review them again.

We have over 35 years experience fine-tuning them to where they are. If you do not want to follow the MWL program as outlined in the 2 links, or do not feel like you can fully commit, or think you have found a better way, that is fine, you are welcome to follow the regular program and create a journal to track your journey. This group (posting and weigh-ins) however, is only for those following the MWL program. We know that not every day will be perfect but planning to not eat or to eat off plan, or to skip meals when hungry is not part of the MWL program.

Also, remember that we are in this for a long-term solution that you can live with and live well with, not short term weight loss. Some of you have set goals that, based on averages, are most likely unrealistic. The most important goal is adherence to the program and the guidelines. That will produce your best chance for success.

In regard to weight, the average loss, over time, is about 1% of your current weight per week. You will most likely lose more in the beginning, if you are male, if you are under under 50 and if you are taller. The numbers just tend to work in your favor.

Some of you add in tweeks that seem to work for the short term, only to find out they backfire longterm.

If you are hungry, eat. We do not recommend skipping meals, fasting, going hungry or eating only vegetables (or fruit) at a meal. We do not recommend intermittent fasting but eating when hungry.

When you eat, make sure your choices always include a minimally processed starch. This is 100% true for MWL too. The starch should be about 50% of the volume of the food you eat. Do not wait an hour to eat the starch after the vegetables.

Just reaching for vegetables, salads or fruit is not going to do it in the long run and you will most likely end up overeating later in the day, or week. This is because the satiety from vegetables, salad and fruit is not the same or as long lasting as the satiety from starch and can set you up to overeat/binge later. This may happen within the day or it may happen after several days. Then you end up wondering why you are eating salads and vegetables and not losing weight and often think, I just need to eat “more” salad, veggies or fruit. To break the cycle, always eat starch with your veggies and/or fruits.

We do not recommend you portion control your food or trying to count calories. Doing so, is not part of the MWL guidelines.

If you have any questions or concerns, just post them and either Mark, Wild Goose or I will respond

If you receive a private message from one of the moderators, make sure you respond to it before posting again.

I wish you all continued success.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby frowsyowl » Mon May 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi All,

I tried searching, but the search word was too common. What do you like to keep in your desk in case you need a little extra meal? I've been better about packing enough for lunch, but I eat pretty early and sometimes need a bit more.

I was thinking canned fruit and a box of oatmeal, or dried soups, but does someone with more wisdom have suggestions...?
frowsyowl

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue May 18, 2021 3:25 am

Personally, I like sweet potatoes and broccoli or oatmeal with fruit, since they taste good to me whether hot or cold, but nearly any adherent foods could work for a quick snack.
Mark Cooper

Postby PonysPlants » Fri May 21, 2021 1:39 am

Down 0.4lbs this week. Pleased with that as I’ve eaten so much this week, I didn’t think I would. I’ve just been so hungry for some reason but ate within the principles of MWL and still lost some. Yay!

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO. Had 2 slices of bread.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES? I didn’t stuff myself but definitely ate more than normal with my hunger that could not be satiated. Ha!
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NO. Did some gentle Pilates a few times but the hip is still causing issues.

Hoping to be in the 130s next week or the week after, which is exciting. I’d set my original goal at 147 but I’m past that now. It’s so freeing to be eating this way and knowing that the weight will come off as as a bi-product of that eating and not be following a diet plan. I will absolutely eat this way for life. As Dr Gregor put it (I paraphrase) you should eat for health and the weight follows. The point of losing weight isn’t to fit into a skinnier casket.

Mark, thank you so much for keeping track of how much I’ve lost here, you’re brilliant. I didn’t realise it was quite so much. From my heaviest I’ve lost 65lbs!

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby Kappagator_96 » Fri May 21, 2021 4:57 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +2.2 (149)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 85%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No, 1/4 c. Soy milk
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No, 1/4 c. Soy milk
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Despite the numbers on the scale, I had a good week. The “weight” jumped on in 2 days of compliant eating, so I know that these numbers are not a true representation of fat gain. It is frustrating, regardless of that knowledge.

This week, I will continue to remind myself to preload. The only reason that it is not 100% is that I forget to do it, and start eating my 50/50 plate. Had a little soy milk in my rice as I had a craving for something creamy, will reflect on what I can eat next time that is compliant. Striving for 100% compliance in all areas.
Kappagator_96

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program