April 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weigh-In Report Compilation - April 9, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:38 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for April 9 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for April 9 - Part 2

By my count, 21 participants reported for our second April 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the second Friday in April:

Week ending 4/9/2021: 21 participants reported a total loss of -15.50 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Squealcat +1.30
Anne57 +1.00
PonysPlants +0.20
Total gains: +2.50
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Annabel71 0.00
Bunsofaluminum 0.00
Chef16 0.00
CindyD 0.00
Curcubit 0.00
GreenFroG -0.20
Noella -0.20
PotatoHead1980 -0.20
Rebecka22 -0.20
Rachael -0.60
Cmcavazos -0.80
Trishe -1.10
Gimmelean -1.40
Connielovesdogs -1.60
Vicmor104 -1.60
HoustonJason -2.00
JaBee -3.70
RebeccaF -4.40
Total losses: -18.00
Cumulative group loss for April 2021 to date: 35.00 pounds
Average loss for week ending April 9: 0.74 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, April 16, 2021.

Hooray for another week of learning, growth, and development! This is a marathon, not a sprint, and making steady, thoughtful progress in adjusting our behaviors, and, importantly, LEARNING from the challenges that arise brings us closer to the finish line.

Earlier today, I received a McDougall mailing featuring an article by Jeff that I'm going to share here, in case anyone missed it. It speaks clearly and directly to the purpose of this group.
JeffN wrote:The Calorie Density Approach to Nutrition and Lifelong Weight Management

Calorie density is the simplest approach to healthful eating and lifelong weight management. This commonsense approach to sound nutrition allows for lifelong weight management without hunger and more food for fewer calories. It’s also easy to understand and follow. In addition, by following the principles of calorie density, you will also increase the overall nutrient density of your diet. The basic principles of calorie density are simple and outlined below. Remember, these are just guidelines expressing the principles and not exact recommendations.

The Calorie Density Approach
Calorie density is simply a measure of how many calories are in a given weight of food, most often expressed as calories per pound. A food high in calorie density has a large number of calories in a small weight of food, whereas a food low in calorie density has much fewer calories in the same weight of food. Therefore, one can consume a larger portion of a low-calorie dense food than a high-calorie dense food for the same number of calories. On a day-to-day basis, people generally eat a similar amount of food, by weight. Therefore, choosing foods with a lower calorie density allows us to consume our usual amounts of food (or more) while reducing our caloric intakes and vice versa.

Foods low in calorie density also tend to be higher in satiety. So, by consuming foods lower in calorie density, one can fill up on much fewer calories without having to go hungry and without having to weigh, measure or worry about portion control. In addition, the foods that are lower in calorie density (fruits, veggies, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and legumes) are also the foods highest in nutrient density. Therefore, by following a diet lower in calorie density, one also automatically consumes a diet higher in nutrient density.

The Principles of Calorie Density for Maximum Weight Loss

Hunger and Satiety- Eat only when you are hungry and until you are comfortably full. Avoid starving or stuffing yourself.

Meal Sequence- Start all meals with a salad, soup and/or fruit. That will allow you to fill up with foods that are the lowest in calorie density.

Liquid Calories- Chew your calories and avoid drinking or liquefying them. Liquids do not fill you up as much as solid foods of equal calories.

Dilution Is the Solution – Dilute the calorie density of your meals by filling half of your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and/or fruit and the other half with starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes.

Vegetables vs. Fats- Non-starchy vegetables are the lowest in calorie density while fat and oil are the highest. Adding non-starchy vegetables to any dish will lower the overall calorie density of a meal, while adding even small amounts of fat and/or oil will raise its overall calorie density.

Calorie-Dense Foods– Limit/Avoid calorie-dense foods which include dried fruit, high-fat plant foods (nuts, seeds, avocados) and some processed whole grains (bread, bagels, crackers, dry cereal, tortilla, puffed cereals, popcorn). If used, incorporate these foods into meals that are made up predominately of low-calorie-dense foods.

The Calorie Density Scale

Foods & Calories/Pound
Vegetables = 60 – 195
Fruit = 140 – 420
Potatoes, Pasta, Rice, Barley, Yams, Corn, Hot Cereals = 320 – 630
Beans, Peas, Lentils (cooked) = 310 – 780
Breads, Bagels, Fat-free Muffins, Dried Fruit = 920 – 1,360
Sugars (i.e. sugar, honey, molasses, agave, corn syrup) = 1,200 – 1,800
Dry Cereals, Baked Chips, Fat-free Crackers, Pretzels, Popcorn = 1,480 – 1,760
Nuts/Seeds = 2,400 – 3,200
Oils = 4,000

Research has shown most that people can eat freely of foods that are about 300-400 calories per pound or less and not gain weight. People can consume relatively large portions of foods that are between 400 and 800 calories per pound and still lose or maintain their weight depending on their individual activity levels and metabolism. The intake of foods with a calorie density of 800-1,800 should be limited as these can contribute to weight gain and/or interfere with efforts to lose weight. Additionally, the intake of foods over 1,800 calories per pound should be extremely limited as these foods can very easily contribute to weight gain and obesity and can also greatly interfere with efforts to lose weight.

The American Cancer Institute and the World Cancer Research Fund recommend lowering the average calorie density of the American diet to 567 calories per pound. One can easily do this by following the above principles of calorie density, which allow us to eat freely of unrefined, unprocessed fruits, veggies, starchy veggies, and intact whole grains and legumes, without the addition of salt, sugar and/or fat/oil to them.

Summary
Calorie density really is a common-sense approach to sound nutrition and is the cornerstone of good health. It is the simplest way to lose and/or manage your weight for life. By following a few simple principles, you will increase the amount of food on your plate while decreasing your overall caloric intake, all without ever having to go hungry. At the same time, you will be optimizing your overall nutrient intake.

In Health,
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN

That covers every important point, right?

Have an amazing week, and do your very best! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: April 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby annwoo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:59 pm

I'd like to join the group. I have reviewed the guidelines. My goal is to lose another 10 lbs (reach a BMI of 20) and lower my fasting glucose to under 100.
annwoo

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 am

annwoo wrote:I'd like to join the group. I have reviewed the guidelines. My goal is to lose another 10 lbs (reach a BMI of 20) and lower my fasting glucose to under 100.
Hello! Welcome to the group; feel free to post if you have any questions. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby connielovesdogs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Dr. McDougall's Health and Medical Center
Signup for FREE McDougall articles, recipes & event info

— Main Menu —
Dr. McDougall's Online Discussion Board
CW: 166.4
Loss- 1.4 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. -- 75% of the time, so room for growth
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. -- YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. -- YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). -- YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). -- NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. -- YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. -- had a couple meals that violated this one
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). -- YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. -- mostly yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). -- YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories: some weight loss and mostly adhered to MWL.
Concerns: work stress contributed to a couple of times when I didn't eat well for breakfast bc I dove right into my tasks. Predictably I got hungry and made choices outside MWL. This is fixable (I'm a pro at learning the same lessons over and over again). I'm posting a little early because I'll be backpacking this weekend so will be off grid. Thanks Mark for the link to some of Jeff's travel food ideas. We will see how it goes!
connielovesdogs

Postby kakapo_chick » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.1 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 90% ( find it a bit hard eating that much!
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Y
6. Eliminate any added oil. Y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Mostly - 2 slices bread when nothing else on offer
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).Y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Mostly 5/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Kai Ora. The scales are starting to move again after a bit of a lull but I'm not worried at all about numbers as my clothes are getting very lose on me. My partner's close are also starting to drop off him. Might have to go "in the meantime" shopping before too long. ;-) Kia Kaha everyone
kakapo_chick

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 am

No change this week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. NO I’ve backslid somewhat on how much salt I add to food, especially potatoes. Need to get this back on track.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO Had some crisps. I couldn’t get the crisps that my husband likes but I hate and got some other ones that we both like. BIG MISTAKE. If it’s in the house it’s in my mouth.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO, had bread on 2 occasions.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NO. Only managed 5 days this week.

Few things to tighten up this coming week. I’ve been keeping a log of my food to look back on because it’s sometimes so easy to look back on a week and think that you’ve done well and then remember about the slips! I’ve been really craving green smoothies this week completely out of the blue and I have no idea why! I used to have them every day but I weaned myself off them doing MWL. Maybe it’s just now the weather is cheering itself up I fancy one.

But, it was a very good week in that my husband remains cancer free. The relief is unreal. He’ll need some follow up treatment but nothing life threatening. Everyone have a celebratory sweet potato for me!

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for your kind reply last week, Mark. It’s much appreciated.

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby cmcavazos » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:14 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: - 1.8# loss

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). NO
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories: I'm still on the right track.
Comments: I did well on my food this week, but did have eggs once which was off plan.
Questions: None this week.
Thanks so much!
cmcavazos

Postby anne57 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:52 am

Last edited by anne57 on Thu May 20, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: One meal, I had avocado toast. Hence, the "no" on flour products and high fat plant foods. Met a girlfriend for brunch and got the closest to compliant from their menu. Otherwise, I was spot on plan and it shows, as I finally shifted down from the weight I've been stuck on for two weeks. AND hit my lowest weight in six years! My walks have been terrific, though I missed one day when it snowed on us. Heh, back to my old habit of parking my vehicle as far away as possible whenever I go shopping anywhere, for anything. I swear I added 2,000 steps yesterday just parking on the periphery of the parking lot at Target, and then Winco.
I've been busy with household stuff as well, unpacking some long overdue boxes that have been hanging around after moving in 2.5 years ago. Our place is starting to look like a human habitation :lol:
So. I wanted to prove that MWL works even for a 60 year old woman...and I'm proving it!
Front loading soup FTW!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:51 am

Weight change in lbs: -3 pounds
1. Start each meal with soup/salad/fruit: Yes
2. Follow 50/50 plate method for meals: Yes
3. Reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts: Yes
4. No animal foods: Yes
5. No higher fat plant foods (nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy): Yes
6. No added oil: Yes
7. No higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit: Yes
8. Don't drink calories: Yes
9. Follow principles, eat when hungry & until comfortably full. Don't starve and don't stuff: Mostly
10. Avoid being sedentary. Exercise at least 30 minutes daily: Yes
Thank you, so sorry, I didn't report in last week. Plenty of opportunities for Pleasure Trap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leaving on a trip next week. Hope to report in even if I can't weigh!!!! :D
josietheschnauzer

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am

161.8 Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.2 pounds
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: All the no’s are from my anniversary. I tried to make the day not about food, but that’s not where my husband is, so it still was to some extent, but I felt better about knowing healthier choices I could make. While I ate out and had dessert, I did make some better choices and I didn’t stuff myself with dessert, so that’s progress. I feel pretty good about ordering options that leave high fat foods out and still starting with salad and getting a 50/50 plate and I really appreciate the understanding from this forum about the added salt in restaurant food so I know what I’m getting myself into. More importantly I ate none of the leftovers and felt good about getting right back on track the next day. Naomi, so glad your husband is okay!
Rebecka22

Postby curcubit » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 am

I am happy to say I am down 0.4 pounds. This seems to be the most I can ever loose in a week without feeling like I am starving. I have over the winter experimented with eating some compliant food before bed to see if I can sleep through the night without waking with hunger (everythign from sweet potato, oranges, peppers, carrots, etc) but it does not seem to help, and can in fact actually make me hungrier on waking in the morning. It is as if my stomach expects food if I eat just before bed, I seem to do better overall if I do the intermittent fasting and stay away from the kitchen after 7 pm and delay breakfast till 8 am even though I wake at 6 am.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  90% time.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. 75% time. This is the hardest part for me. I love my starches and they are so easy to prepare..I always have some oat groats or quinoa and cooked bean in the fridge or freezer, so that part of my plate a no brainer, but filling the other half with veggies is a harder hurdle for me. Buying frozen veg like collards, green beans, okra has helped..I pull some out of the freezer every morning for lunch and dinner, so already defrosted and just needs a quick heating. Now that the weather is finally warming up I am finding raw cold salads more appealing too.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). I had some low fat tofu in soup for dinner once and for breakfast one mornign with lots of water sauted veggies and curry powder.

6) Eliminate any added oil. yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 95% I had some mestemacher whole rye sourdough. It is a staple for my husband, so in the house, and I eat 2-3 slices a week. It is not a trigger food for me, I find it really filling and is good platform for bean spreads as an open face sandwich with sprouts and spinach.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 90% I do sometimes feel uncomfortably full..not at the table...but ten minutes later when I get up and walk around to clean the kitchen. But passes quickly. If I dont eat enough volume I can feel very hungry within 60-90 minutes of eating. It feels like I am a really good at digesting and metabolizing my food efficiently.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes, I get 10,000 steps a day, sometimes more.

Really enjoying the in season asparagus and pineapple.

Looking forward to a sunny weekend (yeah!) and a bike ride and dandelion digging. Sending positive thoughts to all!
Curcubit
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:11 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.6 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I finally get to report all thumbs-up after a few weeks of deviations, and another half-pound gone. Yeah! Will work on staying in the groove this week and keep on prepping a lot of the food on the weekends. That seems to really be helping my week go smoother. Thanks for all you do Mark, Wildgoose , Jeff and those behind the scenes... as well as everyone who posts - having a support group and accountability really helps. Have a good week everyone!
GreenFroG

Postby HoustonJason » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 pm

From Houston Jason
April 9 = 207
April 16 = 207

Total = - 45 pounds

Weight change +/- in lbs: - no change

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit No, most of the time.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No, I’ve been adding a little more salt than the plan advises.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes, I was good this week.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). I have a little unsweetened almond milk in my coffee and oatmeal.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I jumped on the rebounder 4 out of 7 days. I meant to exercise more this week but found myself cooking all the time and out of energy by the end of the day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I struggled in my head this week. I didn’t act on any cravings, but just had a tough go of it. I found myself out of energy after long days at work and didn’t exercise as much as I know I need to in order to get the last 10-15 pounds off. Thanks as always for this forum. It means a lot knowing you’re all out there dealing the same issues.

Original Weight = 252 on January 1, 2021 Jan. 8 = 244 Jan. 15 = 237 Jan. 22 = 234 Jan. 29 = 231 February 5 = 226 Feb. 12 = 225 Feb. 19 = 221 Feb. 26 = 219 March 5 = 218 March 12 = 212 March 19 = 210 March 26 = 210 April 2 = 209 April 9 = 207 April 16 = 207
HoustonJason

Mark's Replies for April 16 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm

connielovesdogs - Nice loss! As you observed, the obstacles you faced this week are quite fixable with some thoughtful planning and preparation. Enjoy your adventure weekend!

kakapo_chick - Solid adherence, looser clothes and movement on the scale! A happy reason to have to do some shopping!

PonysPlants - Great news! I'm so relieved for both of you, Naomi! I found a food journal to be a really valuable tool in my own life, especially for bringing some hidden or easily missed patterns into view. :nod: Onward!

cmcavazos - That is excellent progress, Christine! Was there a particular context to the occasion you included eggs in your meal? Any notable differences when compared with the rest of the week? Keep doing your best!

anne57 - Significantly improved adherence! :thumbsup: Well done! Carry on practicing the recommendations and the scale will catch up with your diligence before long. Have a great week!

bunsofaluminum - Down 2 more pounds and hitting a SIX YEAR LOW! Awesome! You are definitely demonstrating that MWL works! Carry on!

josietheschnauzer - Big loss, Elsa! The Pleasure Trap always seems to be lurking on the periphery, ready to dig in, right? Enjoy your trip!

Rebecka22 - Happy Anniversary! You are making such great progress this month! It seems like you were very thoughtful about honoring your celebration AND making informed and considered choices. Most importantly, you got right back on track! :D

curcubit - Slow, steady progress has many advantages; and being able to lose weight without feeling deprived is important, right? I also tend to eat a large volume of food; adhering as closely as possible to all the recommendations from the MWL 10-Point Checklist is the best way to support sustainable weight loss while consuming enough to feel well satisfied. Keep aiming to improve where you see the opportunity, and enjoy that asparagus and pineapple! :-D

GreenFroG - Huzzah! ALL THUMBS-UP! Fantastic! Adequate preparation is one of the best ways to guard that groove. :nod: Have a wonderful week!

HoustonJason - Kudos to you for remaining so attentive to maintaining an adherent pattern of behavior during what sounds like a challenging week! Give yourself a pat on the back for facing and overcoming those cravings; with continued diligence, they will subside again. I'm so glad this forum is offering you a sense of solidarity and community in dealing with obstacles. :D
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program