November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby squealcat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:31 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.7

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. all but 4 meals
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 70%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). had trouble with this for two days
6. Eliminate any added oil.trouble with this on two days
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.just during the slip on on the two days
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).never
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.a little too much once
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).five out of 7 days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I continue to write the ten MWL points on my habit tracker and it works so well for me !
I had a couple of days where I slipped a bit but didn't fall too far into the trap so most of the week went very well. I had a doctor yearly check up this week and he just said he wished all his patients did so well. My labs were very good but I still have a goal to get my cholestrol down below 150 and get off that last little dose of blood pressure med so I look forward to that day. I have concentrated on eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied. I have been surprised that my meal times have changed with this as I eat my first meal later morning now most days with second meal mid afternoon and that last meal around 7pm. I make that last meal smaller as I am only a bit hungry then. I also need to tweek my meals to make the plates 50/50 . I think they are sometimes more heavy on the starch side. I will pay attention this week.

This Thanksgiving was different for us as it was just my husband and I. It was easy eating-wise with no pie, just my potatoes, broccoli, lentil loaf and cranberries. I enjoyed it so much ! Husband had his own meal and he didn't mind.

See you all next month ! Thankful for this group !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:10 am

Hi all,

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Lost the weight gain from last week due to the added salt intake. Will keep the post short as we still have a little bit of family in for the weekend. Holding steady so far and eating a lot of potatoes when they are eating other things. Keeping my eye on the quality of what I eat and not the quantity! Exercise is a little spotty but will try to get back on track next week. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving, however you were able to celebrate it this year. Thank you Dr. McDougall, Jeff, Mark, Wildgoose, and all the staff for all you do for us - I am very grateful.
GreenFroG

Postby VivianS » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 am

Weight change -2.2 pounds

I followed all 10 points on the checklist:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and /or fruit. Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with nonstarchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume ) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods ( dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes. I eliminated all those foods.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes. I have eaten no added oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie -dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes. I have not eaten any of those foods.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes. I drink water.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking ). 100%

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
I am having less pain from an internal hemorrhoid since I increased my lettuce intake from 2 cups to six cups daily.
I did not eat the traditional Thanksgiving meal, but I ate every MWL meal with gratitude to God for good food and for you, the Maximum Weight Loss board and participants who have helped me learn to lose weight and be healthy. I expect to continue eating only a whole food plant based diet for the rest of my life. I have been so blessed to be in this group. Thank you!
VivianS
Last edited by VivianS on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VivianS

Postby kirstykay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:42 am

Weight Change: 0

I stayed the same this week, which I'm very happy with since I had a big loss last week and it was a holiday. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, although different than we would have liked. It was just my husband and me, but we were able to have a Zoomsgiving with both sides of our families, and our kids joined both so it felt festive. As far as food, we made all the fixins and didn't have to cook a turkey, obviously, since it was just the two of us. I made a vegan pumpkin pie straight up foods), vegan green bean casserole (fat free vegan), and stuffing, which were not MWL, but enjoyed them as holiday treats and will let my husband enjoy the leftovers. The rest of it, the garlic mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes were 100% MWL, and I will eat those leftovers happily. I really liked Jeff's article about the holiday being one meal and not a month and a half indulgence. I feel like it was a successful holiday.

I did a great job on the 10-point checklist every day except Thanksgiving, which I planned as a holiday so didn't worry about it. Below is for the rest of the week:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: Into a rhythm of fruit for breakfast, soup for lunch, and salad for dinner. It is nice to not have to think about this because it's becoming a habit now.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup: This is also becoming a habit. I steam a frozen vegetable or vegetable blend depending on what will compliment our meal best.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup: Very proud to have eliminated the tofu and avocado that I was adding into my menu. I don't miss it.
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: Still enjoying my morning walks. I will be adding some light strength training a few days a week starting this week.

I'm happy to be going into December strong and not waiting until the New Year to "start over." Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and found much to be thankful for! I'm thankful for this group and all of the effort you put into making this group so powerful and helpful, Mark, Jeff, and Wildgoose. I don't think I'd still be here still making progress toward health and healing if it weren't for you all. Thanks! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Rita<3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:57 am

Hi everyone & happy weekend. I hope your holiday was great. I also wish you all well!
I apologize for being late Mark. I couldn’t get to sleep last night. :/

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week 173.5
This week 170.5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.Y
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Y
Choose fruit for dessert.Y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Y
6. Eliminate any added oil.Y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.Y
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).Y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Y
Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.Y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I walked instead of yoga for 2 days & plan on it again today.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:170.5!!!!! So grateful!
I didn’t do thanksgiving & I hope I’m better for it.
Question-Can we have Banza chickpea pasta? Thank you so very much!
Last edited by Rita<3 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita<3

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:16 pm

187.6 Weight change +/- in lbs:  -1.6

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES, this was difficult with so much food to choose from at thanksgiving, but I did fill half my plate with salad and cooked carrots and ate the salad first.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES except Thanksgiving dinner but I was proud of myself for just having a small amount of candied yams and pie and not overdoing it.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES my husband said it was his first vegan thanksgiving, but maybe not his last.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES but there were a few meals with cashews or coconut milk.
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES except Thanksgiving there was vegan butter in the yams and peach pie.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES I skipped lots of temptation, but did have pie and pot pie once this week.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES, but this week I felt like I was back to eating a little too much at dinner. At thanksgiving by eating just a small amount of pie I was stuffed.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES, did great here.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I am really happy with my results this week. While I did eat a little off the plan last night I was proud I didn’t overdo it and I don’t feel tempted to eat the leftovers either. I also didn’t like how full I felt so that reminded me that eating after dinner is not needed for me.
Rebecka22

Postby cmcavazos » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:33 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. - Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. - Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. -- No
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). - Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. - No
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. - No
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). - Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. - Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). - Yes

Victories -- Other than Thanksgiving Day, I did fairly well with the 10 guidelines. Our Thanksgiving dinner was a traditional dinner. I didn't have any turkey but I did have a piece of pumpkin pie without whipped topping.

Comments -- I think I would have had a weight loss if the weigh-in hadn't been the day following Thanksgiving. That one meal had quite a bit of sodium and added sugar to the dishes. I ate small portions and didn't have any seconds. I almost decided to skip weigh-in and posting this week -- not wanting to look at the scale -- but I decided to stay on track. Next week will be back on MWL.

This is an excellent trial run for all the temptations of the Christmas season.
cmcavazos

Postby CindyD » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

SW July 6, 2020, 211.7

Nov 20, 2020 161.3
Nov 27, 2020 160.6
CHANGE: -0.7

Guidelines -
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES, I have added less than a Tbsp of maple syrup to oats a couple times, but that seems ok
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). FOR SURE
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. FOR SURE
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products YES
8. Don't drink your calories. NEVER
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES

10 pts going great, full steam ahead. Including more steamed veg!

Last week my BMI hit the high side of normal, probably for the first time since about 1998.
ALSO, I discovered I like plain steamed brussel sprouts. This is a new and unexpected development! The weekly losses have slowed quite a bit, but that is expected. I'm also eating more beans and lentils the past couple months, and some steel-cut oats. Unlike my first few months at this where I was mainly eating potatoes for my starch.

Mark, Dr. Novick and all, hope you have a very safe and satisfying weekend! Thank you so much for being here for us. :)
Last edited by CindyD on Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CindyD

Postby jkcook » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +1

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit—Yep, even ate a salad before I went to the kids’ for Thanksgiving dinner and took carrots for snacking
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert—75%, Although I did make some oatmeal, Craisins, banana, applesauce, pumpkin seed cookies that were really really good and I’ve been getting one every day for dessert
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them—100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood) —100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy) —100%
—80% — had to have a Gardein Holiday Roast!
6. Eliminate any added oil. —100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit —80%—my healthy cookies do have seeds and craisins and I had tiny pieces (1 T) of pie and pumpkin cheesecake. Even my vegan stuffing has craisins
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). —100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself —90%—well, yesterday was Thanksgiving
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking) —100%

Thought I did pretty well considering Thanksgiving.
jkcook

Mark's Replies for November 27 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:43 pm

Expat in NZ - Congratulations on an awesome week, Lindsey! I imagine moving past that "fear" of being hungry and tuning in on a meal/snack frequency that feels right to you feels empowering; be mindful not to neglect including adequate starches (50/50 starch & veggies/fruit work great for snacks, too). Maintain your diligent efforts!

PonysPlants - I applaud you for choosing to report, even if it felt mortifying! In the grand scheme of things, that small gain has to be taken in the context of your steady overall progress for the month. Of course, I totally understand how deviating from a good groove back into the Pleasure Trap can be frustrating. An increase in added salt can definitely have some effect; as you say, next week will help give a sense of that factor. Being conscious of the effect of these sorts of deviations can be really instructive for informing future behaviors and preparations. Good for you taking action to support having adherent meals on "stand-by". It is so cool how far you have come! 45 lbs! Back to it!

Abe - Cheers to your ON TRACK Thanksgiving and the saying goodbye to the natto! Big congratulations for 1 YEAR of eating in a way that supports your goals and 52 pounds gone! Mary's Mini can be helpful for resetting one's palate, since it is so simplified. I wish you the best with this experiment for getting "unstuck." When you finish the Mary's Mini, don't hesitate to jump right back into MWL and the monthly group reports; I'm confident you'll see further progress from your diligent efforts at adherence.

squealcat - Solid progress, Marilyn; tracking your behavior diligently seems to be working very well! I'm glad your doctor's visit was amenable; ongoing progress practicing the recommended pattern of behavior will keep you on the path to achieving those further goals. Cheers for not letting a "slip" take over the whole week and hooray for your adherent Thanksgiving meal! See you next time!

GreenFroG - Woo-hoo! Last week's change reversed and 9 big thumbs-up! Keep holding steady and cheers to rejuvenating the exercise habit!

kirstykay - That seems like a very successful week! And a successful holiday - you created a plan and menu that felt appropriate to you, and you stuck to it. :) Going into December strong is a great position upon which to build.

Rita<3 - Solid adherence and down 3 pounds! Here's Jeff on bean/lentil/chickpea pasta:
JeffN wrote:It is an allowed food.

However, Dr. McDougall recommends limiting all beans/lentil to about 1 cup/day on average. It would be easy to go over that with bean pasta. You would not have to worry about that with whole grain pasta.

The bean/lentil pasta are also very expensive and offer no real benefit over the whole grain pasta.
Enjoy your walk!

Rebecka22 - Another 1.6 pound loss! I'm glad you are happy with your results this week; good for you sticking primarily to the recommendations and not letting those selected holiday deviations knock you off track. Being mindful of those "little reminders" from our bodies can be so useful. Keep saying YES to the checklist!

cmcavazos - I'm so happy you decided to report this week! Even though your Thanksgiving dinner was not adherent, is looks like you did really well otherwise! This "trial run" probably offered some valuable lessons for the future. Getting right back to the recommendations as soon as possible is always a wise approach. Onward!

jkcook -
Thought I did pretty well considering Thanksgiving.
I agree! :) It sounds like you decided in advance where and to what degree you would deviate, and followed that plan. Moving forward practicing the recommended pattern of behavior will keep you headed in the right direction.
Mark Cooper

Postby Wfpb2020 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Weight change + .6 lbs.

1) Start each meal with soup/salad/fruit. Yes
2) Follow the 50/50 plate. Yes
3) Reduce or eliminate sugars/salts. 5/7
4) Eliminate animal foods 5/7
5) Eliminate higher fat plant foods. 5/7 still have a craving for nuts
6) Eliminate oil. Yes
7) Eliminate higher calorie-dense foods. 5/7
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. Yes
9) Eating when hungry and stop when full. Yes
10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes. usually 60 minutes or more
Wfpb2020

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:14 am

minus .4 pound.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. YES.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. YES/NO, SOY SAUCE ON THE TAKE OUT SUSHI OR CHINESE.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES/NO, Maybe a slice of avocado in veggie sushi.
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES/NO. HAD SOMEONE MAKE CATHY FISHER'S WFPB CARROT CAKES (NO SOS BUT DATES) FOR TWO PARTIES I ATTENDED. I DID NOT BRING THE CAKE HOME, BUT I HAD A PIECE AT BOTH PARTIES. FYI, I HIRED A HIGH SCHOOL ASPIRING CHEF TO MAKE THE RECIPE SO SHE WOULD HAVE A WFPB, GLUTEN FREE OPTION IN HER REPERTOIRE.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NOT REALLY, STILL STRUGGLING WITH STUFFING.....
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. YES.

Thank you Mark, Wild Goose, and Jeff and all the participants. On to December. I am in my extreme danger period. But this year is different, I have this group to inspire and motivate me. Thank you, again!
josietheschnauzer

Postby Zoey » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:21 am

(slinking into the group, head hung in shame...)

Weight change this week: up 4 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yep!
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yep, except for the pie on Thursday...
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yep, except on Thursday...
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yep, except the cheese on Thursday...
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yep, except the nuts on Thursday...
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yep!
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yep, except the pie on Thursday...
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yep, except the apple cider on Thursday...
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yep, except for Thursday...
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yep!

10 Point checklist this week: on point, no problems for six days out of seven

10 Point checklist on Thanksgiving Day: ouch

The good thing to report is that I felt so bad on Friday, I have no urge to do it again. I haven't set off on a season of destruction. I'm MUCH happier with my normal way of eating.
My main concern is... will I do it again on Christmas Day? These holidays are such a sensory overload. But for now, I'm looking forward to my upcoming week of plain and simple sustenance.

And to everyone else, wow, good job!
Last edited by Zoey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoey

Postby Kelly140 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:54 am

Weight Change: 0
To Goal: 26

I've been away for a while, but am back! Refocusing on this plan. I have not been full on plan, but at least have maintained my weight throughout.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 7/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 6/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 6/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 6/7. I have continued to be consistent with this point, and it has become much easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 5/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 6/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 5/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 5/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.7/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 5/7

With the holiday, this was not a great week for me, but I am getting back on track. Determined to keep at it and have a better result next week.
Kelly140

Postby chef16 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:29 am

11/20/2020 235#
11/27/2020 234#

Weight change -1

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 85%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.95%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).95%
6. Eliminate any added oil.100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.95%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).95%

Thanksgiving wasn't a bust. With this covid thing we canceled the big family get together. My father is not in very good health and we all work in very public settings so we didn't want to chance it. It wasn't hard to make a small meal for my husband and I. The only splurge was some cranberry sauce ( love that jelled stuff in the can) and a bite of a pumpkin roll that I scraped the filling out of. I know there were things I should not have had( I didn't look at the ingredients, so I wouldn't feel so guilty) ,but it was really just a bite. I sent the rest of the pumpkin roll to work with my husband and threw the rest of the cranberry sauce away.
New day! On to Christmas! SO much stuff in the stores! :eek: When you walk in it is food and more food all wrapped up in Holiday attire! I want it soooo bad! :crybaby: I think this is going to be harder than I thought it was. To bad there isn't a store that don't celebrate Christmas. :-(
Doreen
chef16

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program