July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby ltbrandon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:35 am

Hello All.

Waiting to join the weigh in group. Im loving all of the extra information I have been receiving by reading all the different message boards.
ltbrandon

Postby Lovenia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 am

Hello! I would like to join the July group as well, please!
Lovenia

Postby GreenFroG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am

Hello everyone. So excited to see all the new people joining! I joined in June and am continuing on the journey. I am reading all the new posts and am learning so much from the questions/answers as I go along.

I do have a question about nutritional yeast. Is ok as a condiment?

looking forward to tomorrow as we weigh in for the week!

Stay healthy :-D
GreenFroG

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 am

GreenFroG wrote:Hello everyone. So excited to see all the new people joining! I joined in June and am continuing on the journey. I am reading all the new posts and am learning so much from the questions/answers as I go along.

I do have a question about nutritional yeast. Is ok as a condiment?

looking forward to tomorrow as we weigh in for the week!

Stay healthy :-D

As a condiment, for occasional use.

https://www.jeffnovick.com/post/nutriti ... 1-and-more

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby GreenFroG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:21 am

Thank you Jeff for your quick reply on nutritional yeast -- I will discontinue it's use. I had no idea it was the equivalent to sugar in calorie density!
GreenFroG

A little lost..

Postby chef16 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 am

Don't know if I am doing this right? I really want to do this and I think I am going to need some support ! I have been following this Program for about 3 weeks and I have lost about 11# but I am really over weight and prediabetic . Its going to take a while. So here goes!
Doreen
chef16

Postby MamaSidd » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:28 am

Hello All,

I'm Bev, and I'm fairly new to the McDougall way of eating. I've experimented with various weight loss plans the last of which left me feeling extremely deprived and guilty about eating anything outside of fruits and vegetables. I found this website and perused a few of the materials. I tried eating a rice, zucchini, onion, mushroom stir-fry and felt satiated. If I can eat rice, quinoa, potatoes, and corn, I'm in. I'd like to lose at least 45-65 pounds. At almost 69 years old, I anticipate slow weight loss, but anything that shows a decrease in weight will be welcome. Good luck everybody.

2/2/20
MamaSidd

Postby emmycaitlin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm

I've been reading and watching Dr. McDougall for years, but I've always been afraid to give it a try. But now I have at least 80 pounds to lose and I feel bad all the time. Really hoping this will be the thing that sticks. I'm in for July!
emmycaitlin

Postby Julie5 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi! I would like to join the group. I have been sporadically following the starch solution, but eager to jump in to the deep end and get some serious results!!
Julie5

Postby Pattyj115 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello! I would like to join the Max Weight Loss group. This is my first time joining any kind of online group other than Facebook stuff. I started plant based woe in 2018 but after about 18 months started drifting back to vegan processed and then to some animal foods like eggs. My husband followed plant based woe in the beginning with me for 3 months and quit. He is "not my friend" in staying plant based. I am looking for support and recipes. I am also gluten free so it was harder. My new goal is to eat foods that came up from the dirt, so no processed anything. But I could really use ideas and support. Thanks!
Pattyj115 -- I want to feel younger next year!!

Pattyj115

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Let me offer a warm welcome to today's new participants! Everyone below has been included in the group.

Joanne_elon, JennyDianne, Laney273, Smeeks1061, TracyU, JennyDianne, ajdotson, Marie M, Rbw, Kathy62, AHALEA, OrangeBird, Cathy Ann, BeadLady, cmurphy, Merwoman, BarbaraLynn, Nvfab, Autlander, Livshaka, Mmcg0306, KarenMWL, Lindahamilton59, karina_r_s, cagal, Rejaneration, tgitrailtime, Wfpb2020, wolffie, CJean, Gspeech3, Johannah, ltbrandon, Lovenia, chef16, chef16, MamaSidd, emmycaitlin, Julie5, Pattyj115, MaryE

A reminder to all participants, please be sure to review the introductory post, MWL 10-Point Checklist and MWL Program Guidelines - these will serve as our "textbook" for this group. I also recommend watching Jeff's presentation - Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer; this video provides a clear understanding of the concepts embodied in the MWL program, and it will likely answer MANY questions and help alleviate confusion. If you'd like to get a better sense of how the group works, perhaps take a moment to survey the June thread, we had some enlightening and valuable discussions last month.

I would encourage all participants to get started practicing the recommended behaviors as soon as they are ready and able. While Jeff, wildgoose and I can offer accountability and support in terms of understanding and implementing the MWL guidelines, and fellow participants provide a feeling of solidarity and comradeship; the onus is on each of us to actually make these changes in our daily lives. All the forum posts in the world won't have an effect on the outcomes we seek, without lasting changes in our daily pattern of behavior. :)

Sherr61 - As Jeff said, salsa is allowed, provided that it meets the guidelines. This recipe for pico de gallo looks like a winner for a homemade option.

Trish - I'm glad to hear your first day went well! If you would like to keep a journal or food diary, you can start a journal in this section, click the NEWTOPIC button to begin your own journal.
Mark Cooper wrote:In regard to posting images -
Mark Cooper wrote:I use flickr for my photos. You can get a free account (if you don't already have one) and then upload the images you want to share. For a specific image, if you select the share button, then BBCode, you can just cut and paste the code for the image into a post here on the forum. (You may know all this already, but I thought a quick primer might benefit everyone :D ).
The code to embed an image looks like this
Code: Select all
[img]URL for your picture goes here[/img]
Participants report on Friday, in this thread; you can also post here with questions or asking for input to overcome any challenges you may be facing.

JennyDianne - Hello and welcome! It is wonderful that you already seem to have noticed some encouraging changes in your biomarkers. This thread will run for the duration of July, a new thread will begin in August. Friday reports should be posted here, in this same thread.

Marie M - Congratulations on the significant weight loss you have achieved and maintained over the last few years! That isn't an easy thing. On meal at a time, indeed; is the path forward.

Rbw - Kudos for your 30 pound loss with the Starch Solution! MWL is the appropriate next step for continuing your progress.

VNiehoff - I'm glad you first day proceeded with ease!

BeadLady - You can post your weigh-in report in this thread on Friday. If you would like to keep a journal or food diary, you can start a journal in this section, click the NEWTOPIC button to begin your own journal.

BarbaraLynn - Excellent progress already! Keeping things simple is nearly always the best way to go. Well done!

Livshaka - I applaud your efforts to change your lifestyle for the better! Way to go quitting smoking!

Katefromfr - Yes, it is fine to include tomatoes as part of the non-starchy component of a meal.

Lindahamilton59 - Yes, our first July weigh-in will be Friday, July 3.
Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the weekly summary. If you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-ins, please post your report in the following format -

Weight change +/- in lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

Please post a new report each week. All group members are encouraged to post regardless of whether they have a gain, loss or no change to report.

karina_r_s - Mistakes are a natural part of the process of growth and development - each mistake offer the opportunity for learning and advancing. :D

tgitrailtime - Congratulations on your transition into the 130's and your progress over the last 11 weeks (and 2 years)!

Wfpb2020 - I would expect that MWL should be workable for you, it is possible you may need to eat smaller, more frequent meals. Just eat when hungry, until your are comfortably full, and repeat as needed. The MWL 10-Point Checklist directs us to
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
So no plant milks would be recommended for MWL. Likewise, granola is quite calorie dense at anywhere from ~1700-2000 calories / lb. Oatmeal would be the recommended choice for MWL.

wolffie - I heartily echo your accolades for Mary McDougall! She deserves so much acclaim for pioneering work in devising such delicious, health-supporting recipes!

CJean - Correct! You are included in the group.

GreenFroG - I'm delighted you are continuing for July!

chef16 - Kudos for the progress you've made over the last 3 weeks! It is indeed a marathon, rather than a sprint.

MamaSidd - Rice, potatoes, corn and quinoa can all serve nicely for the starch component of a meal, as could sweet potatoes, winter squash - tubers, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and legumes are all suitable choices.

Pattyj115 - If you are in need of recipe ideas, the recipe section of Dr. McDougall's website has a category for MWL, filled with delicious recipes from Alu Gobi to Zucchini Corn Salad. If you prefer something extremely easy and affordable, try Jeff's SNAP meal template.

Cheers, everyone! I'll check back here in a few hours, if there are any lingering questions. :D
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby MaryE » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01 pm

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE GROUP :-D
MaryE

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:15 pm

MaryE wrote:I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE GROUP :-D

Welcome! I've added you to the list!
Mark Cooper

Postby briea » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi all, I just saw this and 5 minutes ago, I ate 2 hard boiled eggs. Oops! :eek:
Maybe this a sign I need to join. I've been wanting to change up my eating and go plant base for health reasons. I'm looking forward to this July 2020 MWL Weigh-In Group. I exercise but my eating is not under control.
briea

Postby KrisR » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:52 pm

I am interested in joining the weigh in group to keep me accountable for losing the last 10 pounds. All the information has been really helpful. I don't really like potatoes and I have a big sweet tooth. I fixed a pot of beans, sweet potatoes and corn soup and have plenty of vegetable so I can structure my meals based on the guidelines provided.
KrisR

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program