January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Time for some mid-week inspiration from Dr. McDougall's Success Stories; check out this story from Sue Pratt -

As I read, I was excited to note Sue's many "non-scale victories,"
I feel exceptionally well and am no longer anxious about the future. I am very grateful to be able to enjoy life with pain free walking and have restarted dancing classes. The side effects of the weight loss? Buying new clothes in styles I wouldn’t previously have felt confident to wear, spotting a slim healthy-looking person in the mirror and receiving compliments on my appearance. What a lovely surprise!

Sue also shares a more expansive narrative of her experience in this post. I found her perspective on dealing with setbacks very inspiring,
Whenever I had an off-day I tried to get straight back on track. As we say to each other in the weigh-in group, ‘keep on keeping on!’ My biggest eating challenges were learning to eat McDougall style at restaurants and evening snacking at home. I tried to see each challenge and mistake as an opportunity to learn, and each new day as an opportunity to start again.

Sue has a substantial journal documenting her journey maintaining weight loss, and continues to participate in the maintenance support group. She continues to be an inspiration for me, and I hope you enjoy the story of her ongoing success.
Mark Cooper

Postby MonicaHolly » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:22 am

Need to post a day early as traveling tonight. This week I started including the Esselstyn protocol for reversing heart disease, which entails having certain greens 6 times a day. Completed day three on that. Started because I felt some chest heaviness while exercising on the elliptical last week. Can’t hurt. Helped my weight loss, too!

Weight loss -1.6
1/1 166.6
1/10 158
1/17 157.6
1/24 156
MWL starting weight 166.6 Jan 1, 2020. Goal 130
MonicaHolly

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:53 am

MonicaHolly wrote:Need to post a day early as traveling tonight. This week I started including the Esselstyn protocol for reversing heart disease, which entails having certain greens 6 times a day. Completed day three on that. Started because I felt some chest heaviness while exercising on the elliptical last week. Can’t hurt. Helped my weight loss, too!

Weight loss -1.6
1/1 166.6
1/10 158
1/17 157.6
1/24 156

Hi, MonicaHolly! Congrats on a solid loss, and I hope you have a pleasant journey! As you enjoy your green vegetables, do be sure you are including starch with each meal - it is really essential to the overall MWL way of eating. For some further review of this topic, there is an excellent discussion here and a follow-up here. TLDR; if we are eating in accordance with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, we are very likely to be fulfilling the spirit of Dr. Esselstyn's recommendation, already. I'm sure you will continue to pay attention to how you are feeling and use your best judgement - have you spoken to your personal physician regarding the heaviness in your chest during exercise?

(edited to add a few thoughts)
Mark Cooper

Postby MaryP » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 am

Starting weight: 221
Last week's weight: 220
This week's weight: 215
Loss: -5 pounds

Posting a day early because I'm off on vacation and I don't know if there is a scale.

I'm back on track! The only thing I didn't do this week is exercise. I'm off to Hawaii, though, so there will be plenty of time for exercise!
MaryP

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:26 am

MaryP - Isn't that feeling of being "on track" just the best? :D Have a safe journey, and enjoy getting your exercise in such an idyllic locale!
Mark Cooper

Postby Pradeepa » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Good morning everyone,
Greetings from Australia!
157lb.
-1 from last week
I am happy with the loss, although I gained a lb last week, so I'm back where I started - I'm staying the same. Better than gaining, seriously! I have been carefully monitering & reducing my amount of food slightly. I've been rewarding myself with delicious fruits like canteloupe & grapes - great combo! I think if I stay on it, results will come.
Pradeepa

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Pradeepa wrote:Good morning everyone,
Greetings from Australia!
157lb.
-1 from last week
I am happy with the loss, although I gained a lb last week, so I'm back where I started - I'm staying the same. Better than gaining, seriously! I have been carefully monitering & reducing my amount of food slightly. I've been rewarding myself with delicious fruits like canteloupe & grapes - great combo! I think if I stay on it, results will come.

Hi, Pradeepa! Glad you are feeling happy with your loss. Fruit is a great thing to include within the constraints of MWL! How have you been doing with the other aspects of the checklist? Working in tandem, the 10-Points allow us to eat until comfortably full, without practicing strict portion control and still be in a calorie deficit. It is worth paying particular attention to the 50/50 plate concept and beginning meals with soup, salad or fruit if you haven't already started to integrate those practices into your daily meals. The plan does produce results, when we understand it clearly and follow it regularly. You definitely shouldn't be going hungry.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

My very best to everyone for tomorrow's weigh-in! :D

Again, as I posted last week, if participants would be willing to post weigh-in reports in the format below, I think it will help to provide useful information, allow us to better learn from one another's experiences, and foster group interaction. Feel free to copy and paste the template, if you like.

Weight change +/- in lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

As in weeks past, I'll refrain from responding to posts individually during the weigh-in, other than to address specific issues / questions. I'll reach out to everyone reporting in a cumulative post on Friday evening. I look forward to seeing everyone's posts tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby RacingSnake108 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:04 am

Hi!

This is my first day and first weigh-in

Starting weight 158.6 lbs

My motivation for losing weight is health, running performance and self-esteem
Last edited by RacingSnake108 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RacingSnake108

Postby Wild4Stars » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:28 am

Down 1.6 pounds for the week
Down 3.6 pounds total

Start 1/3 = 120.4
118 1/10 = 119.4
117 1/17 = 118.4
116 1/24 = 116.8

Total Steps = 332,567
Average Step = 14,459
130.2 Miles

Ten-point checklist - - The only thing I didn't do and maybe never will is to start each meal with salad, soup or fruit.
Some of my meals ARE soup or salad. When I eat salad, I want a SALAD! It's a meal. Same with soup. I'm keeping it very simple. Some days I don't really eat meals, I truly graze, eat a little something when I'm hungry. Those are really my best days. Some days my schedule doesn't allow that.

My goal this week was to eliminate .2 pounds a day. I met that goal!! On to next week with the same goal!
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:31 am

Jan. 1 - 210
Jan. 3 - 209
Jan. 10 - 204.7
Jan. 17 - 204.1
Jan. 24 - 204.4

Up .3 lbs

Ok, so I guess I’m back to struggling with #3 and #7 in the checklist. For #3 I made some soup and also faux cheese sauce (to sauce up our broccoli) with extra salt because my daughter came do dinner. After it was made I realized I wayyyy overcompensated for her. To make matters worse we had lots of leftovers and we do not throw out food so I definitely had a lot more sodium this week. We also had one breakfast at a Vegan restaurant while visiting the local VA hospital. Yeah, there was definitely some oil there. For #7 We also had some pasta this week (to use up the cheese sauce) and I dipped into my parrots nuts occasionally. However, I did get in a lot more exercise this week. Far more than I’ve been able to in a very long time, as I’ve had some hip and knee issues going on.

So, I know what I need to work on. My goal for the coming week is to lose at least one pound.

Onward and downward! Have a great week! :) :-) :-D :D

Amy
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby RosieLB » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 am

1/3/2020 --155.8
1/10/2020 -- 153.0
1/17/2020 --153.4
1/24/2020 -- 153.6
RosieLB

Postby Michele613 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:01 am

- .6 @ 166.6

Was compliant 'cept for having a hummus and cucumber spelt pita for dinner one day. I knew I was feeling 'vulnerable' as I wanted something crunchy so I opted for a toasted pita rather than crashing.
Michele613

Postby BlackBeanSoup » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:13 am

-1.0 pounds

Had 1 scoop of guac at my husbands birthday party. Missed salad/soup starter 1 or 2 times because ran out of them.

Exercised 2 days which is better than 0. :-D
BlackBeanSoup

Postby lbell » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:38 am

Weight loss 0

Totally expecting this. I am close to goal weight and trying to settle in to what my true weight should be, although I know that I am not there yet. Still have extra weight around the middle.

I am struggling with eating salad or soup before each meal and over eating at night. I love the food! I will work this week on keeping my food boring.

Leah
Age 63
Height 5’3”
1/3/20 118.0
1/17/20 115.5
1/24/20 115.5
lbell

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program