November 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Svenja » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Hello!

Sorry that I missed last week ... I was part of team running seminar and the weekend was so busy that I didn't fit it in.

I report a gain of 1 pound.
I didn't batch enough food this week ...

But I did my groceries today and will prepare tomorrow for a successful week!

Thanks Amanda for the funny oatmeal video the other day ... I wish half a cup of oats would keep me full 4-5 hours ... but it was fun to watch!

I enjoy the 'Transcendence' series from Food Matters TV this week. Anyone else watched it? It's for free until tomorrow 11th. Very inspirational ... even if I don't agree to 100%.

Greetings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for weighing in this week. :) I'm glad to hear from each of you. A few of you mentioned having a bumpy week, I hear you! We managed to still come out down a pound as a group, and most of us are still here trying. That makes it a winning week too! (I'm not calling out anyone not here this week, please keep on lurking and come on back when you are ready. XX). I will apologize in advance for not getting back to everyone individually, yesterday and today. I will resume that aspect of support next week. :)

There are many iterations of healthy plant-based plans available to learn about. Many of us have tried a number of them and settled in here with Dr. McDougall's version. Many of you are still in a stage of figuring out where you think you fit best. This is an important process because the bulk of the information on how to get a seed to sprout will be the very similar.
What I like about the information that Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick provide is that it highlights the information that most people need to get well and lose weight in order to attempt to get us to listen to what can be a difficult message. Giving up previous ideas about how the world works is not always easy. As Dr. McDougall and Mary Poppins have said sometimes it just takes a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.
Below is a partial piece of a great thread about a common question that people who are new to the McDougall program sometimes ask, Is food really unlimited? It is a great reminder about how and why calorie density guidelines work.
JeffN wrote:What they have found is if people follow the guidelines and principles of calorie density and the calorie density of the food is below ~400 calories per pound, most people will lose weight.

Between ~400-~800 calories per pound, with some regular moderate exercise, most will lose weight.

Between ~800-~1200 calories per pound, most people gained weight, except for those with very high activity levels

Over ~1200 calories per pound, most everyone seemed to gain weight.

Remember, the physical sensation of "fullness" is influenced in a large part by the filling of the stomach and the triggering of the stretch receptors. This would happen regardless of the calorie density of the food, as long as enough food was consumed.

However, between 400-800 calories per pound is the range where people either maintained, gained or lost a little. It was the area that I call the "cut-off" zone and the results depending on the person and their activity level. The mid point of the range is around 600 cal/lb

I would not worry to much about the exact numbers when you are trying to apply this to yourself but would be more concerned about the principles as I would not want anyone to weigh and measure their food. The calorie density numbers I give for food groups are "averages" and dont apply exactly to each food in the group.

If you follow the MWL program, you will be applying the principles of calorie density. If it is not working as well as you would like then you can adjust the calorie density of your intake by making slight adjustments in your food choices depending on your individual activity level and metabolism.

These numbers are also inline with other recommendations.

The recent WCF/AICR report on cancer recommends that the average calorie density of our diets be around 567 calories per pound, to avoid obesity and weight problems which is 100% in line with my experience.

The Okinawan diet, before Western influence, was around 600-650 calories per pound

So, knowing all this, if you look at the numbers, it all makes sense.

A starch based diet, made up of starchy vegetables and intact whole grains along with some fruit and veggies, will have a calorie density under 500 calories per pound and maybe even 400 calorie per pound. It would be near impossible to overeat.

You can also see the problem with many of the "low fat" diets that focused on processed whole grains, like whole wheat bread, crackers, dry cereals. At 1200-1500 calories per pound, if they become a large part of the diet, they can raise the overall calorie density and make it much easier to overeat on calories and easy to gain weight and/or not lose weight, even with a higher activity level. Hence the principles of the MWL program is to avoid those foods, or really limit them.

In Health
Jeff

Once you understand what most people need to be successful at the program, it is time to test that out on yourself. If all goes swimmingly, congratulations, you may now continue about regular life whilst being a great example of what true health and happiness can look like. Sometimes, however, it takes just a bit more work than that, and maybe that's what brings some of you here, right now. I know it's what continues to keep me here. :)

Be well this week everyone. :) Keep up the good work learning and striving for more, but not at the expense of living and loving. Those are the two real reasons for all of this striving anyway. The most successful gardeners remember to keep their gardens watered and fertilized appropriately while planning next season's beds so that the current plants don't wither and die. With proper care, it's not at all necessary, in most cases, to rip out the whole bed and replace it with new plants to create something beautiful.

Amy XO

PS. This week's post is dedicated to a fellow orchid who wasn't able to flourish where he was planted. To continue the horticultural analogy, I hope we get better and better at recognizing what all the flowers in the garden need to grow well.

Here are the results for the second week in November:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 16th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 493.4 pounds

November 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2018: 54.3 pounds
Total group loss in July 2018: 50.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds
Total group loss in September 2018: 44.06 pounds
Total group loss in October 2018: 30.9 pounds
Total group loss in November 2018: 5.79 pounds[

Week ending 11/09/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 1.06 pounds
---------------------------------------
Lyndzie - 2.0
Idgie - 2.0
Mark Cooper - 0.44
Yomom - 2.0
Svenja - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 7.44
--------------------------------------
Qwerty988 - 1.0
Starbright831 - 1.4
Moonlight - 2.0
Rosey - 1.0
Arewethereyet - 1.4
Alicect - 1.6
Moonspirit - 0.1
Amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 8.5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in November 2018: 5.79 pounds
Week ending 11/09/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 1.06 pounds
Week ending 11/02/2018: 15 participants reported a total loss of 4.73 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi All,

I wanted to send a quick hello to everyone participating this month. I hope you are all having a successful week. :)

Best wishes... and Happy Kindness Day!

Amy :)

12 Acts of Kindness that will Warm your Heart!
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Thank you, Amy, for posting the World Kindness Day link. So very inspiring! I didn't hear about anyone celebrating around where I live. Here's a couple of lines from the description of the holiday:

World Kindness Day is to highlight good deeds in the community focusing on the positive power and the common thread of kindness which binds us. Kindness is a fundamental part of the human condition which bridges the divides of race religion, politics, gender and zip codes.

Here in the USA I wish we could declare it a national holiday!!
moonlight

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Yesterday I saw a woman struggling to carry her heavy groceries from the store. I watched her as I was stopped at a red light. She paused every 10 feet or so and sat her bags down. I had no idea where she was going, but it was going to take her forever, and it was below freezing and windy. When the light turned green, I turned the car around, drove up to her, and asked her if she would like a ride. She hesitated and said yes.

I am so glad I stopped to help her. She is a political refugee from Kenya who moved here less than a year ago. She lives in a food desert, and was walking to the bus stop to get home. Due to our underfunded public transit system, what was a 15 minute drive would have taken her a good hour and many blocks of walking. She is scared of snow, and was trying to stock up so she wouldn’t have to go out much. She is a single mom with two kids, and does not have employment yet.

This morning I saw Amy’s post about yesterday being Kindness Day. What a coincidence! My small act of kindness towards her was so much more rewarding to me than I could have ever imagined. I hope everyone got a chance to do something nice for someone else.
Last edited by Lyndzie on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby moonlight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Beautiful story, Lindsey! Yay, you, for taking the time to turn around and go back.
moonlight

Postby Svenja » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:41 am

Thank you Lyndzie for doing this and following your heart! I sure this lady was touched by your kindness!
What would the world be like if we would all live like this!
Thank you for your great example!

Blessings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Svenja » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:46 am

Hello!

I will skip this weeks weigh in, as I am starting a fast, which is NOT part of the program!
I will be back in one or two weeks ... after things have levelled out a bit.

Amy likes me to mention that I am a ND ... so I at least kind of know what I am doing ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:16 am

This week I am down -3.6 lbs.

Only a few more pounds to go! I’m guessing I’ll be up or holding steady the next couple weeks with the ridiculous amount of family get togethers coming up, but I have a plan I am comfortable with in place for navigating them. Wishing everyone the best!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am

I lost 0.8 this week, which is a bit of a shocker. I was sure I had gained, and I was actually tempted to lie about it because I was so ashamed. And then I got over myself and realized y'all aren't the Hammer of Doom, you're my support system, so there's no need to be anything but what I am around here.

That struggle with myself has really motivated me to get back on the compliance wagon full-force, though, so it's not a completely bad thing.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Rosey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 pm

went from 266.6 lbs to 265.6 lbs so a 1 lb loss this week. So nice to see it going down.
Last edited by Rosey on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Rosey wrote:went from 266.6 lbs to 256.6 lbs so a 1 lb loss this week. So nice to see it going down.

Hi Rosey!

Nice loss. Can I confirm it with you, I think there is a typo in your message (which happens to me all the time) but it could be in 1 of 2 different spots.

Is it a 1 lb loss from 266.6 to 265.6?

Otherwise it could also read as a 10lb loss, and with your edema there is a possibility for large losses, so I wanted to confirm before I do the tally.

Thanks,

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm

amandamechele wrote:
Rosey wrote:went from 266.6 lbs to 256.6 lbs so a 1 lb loss this week. So nice to see it going down.

Hi Rosey!

Nice loss. Can I confirm it with you, I think there is a typo in your message (which happens to me all the time) but it could be in 1 of 2 different spots.

Is it a 1 lb loss from 266.6 to 265.6?

Otherwise it could also read as a 10lb loss, and with your edema there is a possibility for large losses, so I wanted to confirm before I do the tally.

Thanks,

Amy

Opps will edit that it should say 265.6 lbs.
Rosey

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Have a great weekend and a good fast, Svenja!

Awesome loss, Lindsey! What a great position to be in heading into the holidays.

Idgie, that is fantastic that you felt comfortable sharing and that you have come through a tough week with a recommitment and still managed some loss!

Kudos, Rosey! Hope your feet/ankles are doing a bit better!

I can report another week of 10/10 on my checklist, and I'm down .88 lbs. I'm really pleased, I'm almost back to my previous strength levels and have definitely been regaining some muscle mass. My ankle pain is still not gone, but it is generally mild enough to be completely tolerable now.

Wishing everyone a fantastic week to come!
Mark Cooper

Postby Rosey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
Kudos, Rosey! Hope your feet/ankles are doing a bit better!

They are doing a lot better not perfect but better. In the mornings they are almost my normal feet in the evenings they are all swollen up again.
Rosey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program