Stages of change...? Committed?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stages of change...? Committed?

Postby Arewethereyet » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 pm

What is it they say about readiness to change?

I'm in "contemplation mode" ;-) right now--in terms of getting myself 'together', committed, whatever...to make another run at this problem. Wanted to announce it someplace, but not sure if I am ready for weekly weigh-ins. I might have to avoid the scale, as I tend to have too high expectations of what one can accomplish in a couple weeks. I also have to think about fast progress vs satisfaction.

We will be out of town on a road trip starting Saturday, so have to be realistic about that--other than cancelling the trip or fasting the entire time. I've already looked for food options, and it's going to be quite difficult. My first goals might be just to eat something other than donuts (which have been heavily featured recently).

Step 1--Thursday night: No donuts :duh: , compliant dinner (already have left-overs from last night).
Step 2--Friday. Regular day at work, I have on-plan food for breakfast and lunch. Dinner isn't right, but I’m feeling a bit like Gollum and don’t want to let it go. Further reduce caffeine.
Step 3—Keep busy on the trip, and do the best I can. Mentally prepare myself for making more changes.

I both want, and don’t want to have to do this. I want the outcome though.
Arewethereyet

Re: Stages of change...? Committed?

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Welcome back! I had a couple years when I wandered away from this way of eating, and woke up one day ready to go, and have been back for over two years at this point.

Sounds like you have a realistic plan in place to get you working towards better food choices in an achievable way. Enjoy your trip! Wishing you fun and success!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 pm

I can really relate to this. Anyone who says it doesn't take effort to eat this way is NOT hooked up the way I am, and for a long time, I was not willing/able to put in that kind of effort. Then one day, I read something Dr. McDougall wrote about it not being an all-or-nothing program, and something clicked. I just started with one rule: when I feel up to it, I'll do McD meals; when I don't, I won't. Eventually, the meals got more frequent, and the results started happening, and then I was encouraged enough to ramp up my effort. Now I probably do 99% McD meals, and maybe 80% MWL, and it's easier because I know I don't have to. I can eat what I want, but I like the results, just like you say.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Following this thread & really relating to the discussion! Wishing all here health & happiness :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby Arewethereyet » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 am

Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement. Today has gone as planned so far. A good night's sleep has helped a lot. I did well last night after having eaten so many donuts that morning. :oops:

I'm feeling more encouraged about continuing this the best I can on the trip. I'm looking forward to just having oatmeal tomorrow morning, as I did this morning. Not fighting the idea as much!

Best to you all. I'll check in after a few days.

ETA: Idgie--I really like how you approached your transition. That is something to think about...letting go of 100%
Arewethereyet

Postby geo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Change is always hard and takes a deep commitment to make it last. The trick is to simply stick to changes at first that you can easily make. Changes that don't seem like changes.

So if you want to start off on a good foot get rid of those easy mental blocks you have to change. You say you don't want to weigh yourself every week...then don't...ignore the stupid scale, put it away in a closet so you don't even have to see it. Scales aren't necessary on the program. Remember - Its the food...thats it. Everything else will simply flow from that one thought, food. Forget the scales, forget even the exercise if you just can't make that change right now. Just focus on one thing...putting the right food in your mouth...one forkful/spoonful at a time. If you slip up, oh well your human...get back up on that horse and eat what you know is good for you. Eventually you will be eating more of the nutritious food and less of the crap. An one day you won't be eating the crap at all because your enjoying the right food so much. Its not a race, its your life.

Some of us have that all or nothing personality...usually driven by life or death circumstances...at the end of our rope so to speak...don't believe thats easy either...its not...but the changes do come quicker that way. Addictions to food are easier to get past going "cold turkey", just as with other addictions. Its not fun, it can be painful, but the end results are always worth it. And its worth it no matter whether you go a step at a time or you just have the mentality to take the full plunge. Again its not important or anything to be concerned about. At this point in your journey its just one mouthful of good food at a time.

So, lets get back to the food, thats the starting point and the end point as well for this program. So lets just focus on that. The easiest way to get started is to simply find a few meals that are on the program that you really like and are easy to make. Find one or two for each meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner...to make it easier your lunch and dinner meals could be the same...heck you could even eat the same type of meal for all your meals in a day...nothing says you cant have dinner types of food for different meals or even breakfast three meals a day. Just find a few meals you really enjoy eating. If those meals can be easily made on the road so much the better, if not then there are meals you can always eat on the road that are compliant. Things like rice, baked potatoes, steamed veggies, fresh fruit, salads,etc...that many restaurants and fast food places sell. Maybe they won't thrill you at first but they will fill you up, keep you from getting too hungry and most importantly will make you feel good that you stayed on plan for one more meal. Remember, its the food and nothing else. Forget about all that nutrition stuff and needing to eat this that or the other to get all the vitamins and minerals and other stuff nutrition is all about. Just eat the food recommended and you will easily get everything you need.

Relax, stop over thinking things, go make yourself a bowl oatmeal with some fruit thrown in...or maybe a nice baked potato in the microwave...its not fancy, but it does taste good and will fill you up...and no one will look at that say...what weird food diet are you on this time? Its just regular food, but food that supports your health...starches, veggies, fruits thats all it takes an thats all the program is about. Keep it simple, easy, cheap...take one step at a time with eating the right foods...forget about everything else...its simply the food...eat it, enjoy it, reap the benefits and don't look back...change can and will happen...its just not something to worry about, think about or even consider...eat the food and come back in a month and tell us how it went. But most of all enjoy yourself...life will get better everyday! :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Arewethereyet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Geo, thanks for taking the time to write. I may have seemed to be over thinking, but was doing my best to think constructively about how to finally make this work. Didn't think I could take another demoralizing failure.

I had the good and bad fortune of eating C.R.A.P. on our mini vacation, and getting bad news about a relative's health. I do have a health problem of my own (unsure this diet will ultimately help), but this was such an awful outcome for her. Besides feeling sad about my relative and her family, I could see myself ending up in nearly the same situation. The combination really gave me focus when we got back.

I looked again at Jeff's calorie density list. Previously, I kept thinking, "Oh yeah, I'm doing that already." (When I'm on plan.) But, in reality, I hadn't tried sequencing my meals...I was ball-parking 50/50 and thought that would do it, or not actually attaining it. Also, I was letting a little bit of SOS turn into a lot. Happy to say, I've had a full week of compliance. These two changes have helped with both my calorie intake and my appetite.

Things I had to do for myself to be successful:

1. No caffeine--I'm sensitive even to half-caff, and it turns into a vehicle for sugar, creamer, and a trip to the convenience store where I'm more tempted.
2. Planning to keep any SOS to major holidays. I have had some incidental salt in recipes/canned vegetables, though not adding any, and trying to avoid it if possible.
3. Actually Sequencing my meals--last week and this, I started with salad.
4. Being very diligent about adding a side of cooked vegetables to lunch and dinner.
5. Returning to my prep schedule
6. Not making exceptions when cooking a meal I share with my husband--this usually included adding fake meat or having cheese in the house so he could add to his side. He still eats what he wants and has what he wants in the house (the really tempting stuff is hidden).

There are probably other things.

I couldn't stay off the scale, but for now, I'm not going to have a regular weigh-in day. I will check in randomly either when I expect a good outcome, or if I'm irrationally thinking I've gained 40lbs.
Arewethereyet

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program