December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who checked-in this week. We've had some great effort and I'm so happy to hear from each of you. This flu that's going around sounds brutal! I hope anyone under the weather takes good care of themselves with lots of rest, a glass of water beside the bed and, as my mom used to make all us kids wear: a long sock pinned around your neck to keep it warm (it's also VERY attractive...LOL).

Okay, I talked to the calendar gods and I've managed to secure a beginning of the week date for Christmas this year, so there's lots of recovery time before weighing in after a feast meal...LOL (unlike this past Thanksgiving)! I hope this means that everyone will still consider checking-in no matter how their holidays actually go over the next two weeks.

I am super determined to get through the holiday with my self-esteem intact, telling me how proud it is of me through feelings of contentment and satisfaction of a job well done. That's why I'm working hard to ensure I'm not in any of Dr. Lisle's traps, with many many days of truly MWL adherent eating under my belt, so that when that block of back-to-back holiday meals arrives I am in great standing to avoid my Pleasure Trap or Cram Circuits pinging too loudly when I am undoubtedly faced with terribly tempting choices. Mary McDougall has created a delicious menu that may inspire some of your meal planning ideas, be sure to take a look!

There are still 2 more weigh-ins/check-ins for the month, that's plenty of time to get ourselves sorted out and usher in the new year feeling fabulous. I wish all of you the best this week in finding time to plan and prepare for that success. XO

Amy

PS. Here's another day-in-the-life post of what I ate:
(I'm actually still away from home with less control over food access. It's been fine, and everyone has been so accommodating, but I usually try for more veggies).

Here are the results for the third week in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 22nd, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 786.26 pounds

December 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 34.9 pounds
Total group loss in August 2017: 59.6 pounds
Total group loss in September 2017: 41.9 pounds
Total group loss in October 2017: 41.7 pounds
Total group loss in November 2017: 70.4 pounds
Total group loss in December 2017: 44.0 pounds

Week ending 12/15/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 18.9 pounds

---------------------------------------
Suey51 - 0.4
Galooop - 6.4
Wild goose - 0.2
Svenja - 1.0
Sundog - 0.9
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 8.9
--------------------------------------
Zsilent1 - 3.0
BeHealthy - 4.0
Anne57 - 2.0
Werner1950 - 0.8
Petmomful - 3.4
CamiJb - 9.2
Veggies4me - 4.4
Moonlight - 1.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 27.8
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in December 2017: 44 pounds
Week ending 12/15/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 18.9 pounds
Week ending 12/08/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 9.7 pounds
Week ending 12/01/2017: 21 participants reported a total loss of 15.4 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Svenja - XO. It's snowy where I am too. That definitely makes more it difficult to exercise outdoors. I hope you feel better soon, and enjoy your glorious week off.

veggies4me - Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss so far. You've really done great and I hope you're very pleased with your progress. Definitely bring on those sweet potatoes...will you be preparing them in a special way for a holiday meal? I love certain types just baked plain and hot out of the oven.

Susan - Thanks, that certainly sound delicious. I'll totally look it up.

Moonlight - LOL! At least you recognize what the problem was...easy fix.

Linda - Great attitude, don't sweat any small fluctuations, it could be due to so many factors. I love Ezekiel bread too, last Christmas I used it when I made (non-MWL) Mary McDougall's Baked French Toast. It was decadent! What kind of exercise do you like to do at the gym?
amandamechele

Postby stillcrazy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:01 am

I waited until Saturday morning to check in because I hadn’t lost anything by Friday morning — still hadn’t Saturday morning and I intended to post but got busy and forgot. So even though it was a 0 for the week I am still sorta checking in because I don’t want tolose my momentum here. Checking in really helps keep me focused.

My week went fairly well although I know I am eating large amounts. My only off MWL venture was some homemade whole wheat bread with soup one day. I think I have what Doug Lisle calls CRAM in that sometimes I have a hard time stopping even when I am full. I saw a talk he gave on it on the Ithrive series but didn’t want to buy the seies so I’m wondering if anyone else knows where i could find that talk to watch again.

So next check in here is Monday the 25th?
stillcrazy

Postby moonlight » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Amy,

Thanks for posting the menu from Mary McDougall. Keeping good MWL foods around will be key for the next couple of weeks. I'm planning to look at all cookies, cheese and nuts as poison and look away. No staring!

Good luck everyone!
moonlight

Postby Suey51 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 am

Hello everyone.

A 2.2 pounds loss for me this week :D

A much more compliant week, apart from yesterday. I've done a bit of a MWL reset, having brown rice and veggies for breakfast, a big portion of veg and bean soup for lunch and a larger size dinner. I still made my usual breakfast oatmeal/porridge but had it as an afternoon snack. I tried having some leftover potatoes for one breakfast, but felt that was a step too far! :lol: In the evenings I really tried to focus on noticing how full I felt, and that helped me resist cramming on off-program foods.

Yesterday, I made some off-program dishes for a family meal tomorrow and nibbled some of the results :( I knew I had already lost weight this week so figured I could indulge 'safely'. Haha, who did I think I was fooling?! The scales bounced straight back up by over a pound this morning. Eating this way still feels like a wonderful experiment. I adjust the inputs and get to see the results so quickly :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes over the two feast days and the tricky 'leftovers' days afterwards. Going to spend some time on planning how best to deal with the various challenges.

Sending kind thoughts to everyone who is trying to eat this way.

Sue xx
Suey51

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 am

Greetings of the Season Group Mates!

Happily reporting a 2 lb loss this week! I’ve been staying in the groove with lots of potatoes, brown rice and veggies. Yaesterday made a really good wild rice and barley soup in the instant pot. I plan on making a batch of baked falafels to have on hand. I have the house stocked with veggies and potatoes.

It is a tempting time, goodies are everywhere. I woke up this morning with a vision of seeing my husband eating holiday cookies. I realized that’s not what I want. Why bother for a momentary, fleeting taste then cram??? No, not worth it, I look at that stuff as poison now, and it will not/would not made me feel good on any level. I live in a multi-generational household so there is non compliant food around. Everyone respects and supports my WOE. I also respect their choices. It is my choice what I put into my mouth. I must honor myself, for too long I did not. Now it’s time to stay in the groove and continue to move forward.

Stay strong people! For all who celebrate this holiday season, many blessings to you and yours! :)

Susan
zsilent1

Postby veggies4me » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 am

This is the end of my 3rd week on the MWL Plan. It's getting a little tougher to avoid the temptations and a couple of crackers made it into my mouth yesterday (need to keep eating the right things so I'm not tempted, but all this running around and shopping and cooking for non-vegans is tough! I do have my holiday menu planned with ff vegan recipes but will add some soy products for the day.

I am so happy with my results I am 57 years old and have been overweight/obese all my life - why didn't I know about this sooner??

This weeks weight loss: 1.8 pounds
Total Weight loss on MWL plan (3 weeks): 7.4 pounds :D
veggies4me

Postby moonlight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

I'm reporting ZERO weight loss this week. My weight has fluctuated over a 3 lb range this week, going down 1 lb then up 3 lb then settling back at the same weight I started. The first month was easier than this month. Hopefully, I'll get better control over eating out and late night cramming. I've had a love affair with cinnamon and sugar flavored rice cakes this week.

I hope everyone celebrating the holidays this week has a most wonderful time filled with good feelings and love of friends and family. May we all nourish the joy in our lives everyday.
moonlight

Postby Werner1950 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:54 am

OKAY, although .2 pounds does not a trend make, it does a loss make.
I am down all of .2 lbs from last Friday. Apparently I was 169 last Friday. Last Christmas I gained everything back that I lost, so I regard this plateau as huge progress.

I also cut off a small tip of my index finger on my mandoline while making shoestring potato fries last week, but that loss didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference! ;)
Last edited by Werner1950 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby anne57 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anne57

Postby galooop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 am

Lost 3.2 LBS

wishing everyone a great holiday weekend!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby wildgoose » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Wow, you guys are impressive! All those holiday goodies around, and the pounds are still falling off.

Werner, slicing off fingertips does not count for weight loss! Nor, I'm sure, does it improve the taste of shoestring fries! :eek:

I'm happy to be at zero gain/loss this week. Yesterday was the first day in almost 2 weeks that I've started to feel human. This cold has had me in miserable shape! And of course, I want "comfort food."

We're having lentil chili, wild rice stuffed squash, and raw veggies for Christmas dinner. I am so blessed to have a supportive Gander who eats mostly the way I do and encourages all my efforts.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby petmomful » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:34 pm

I showed a 0.8 gain this week. I know why, I made a tofu (faux cheesecake) pie and ate it over a couple of days. It was good, and compliant, but not good for weight loss, I guess. lol :-o
petmomful

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:23 am

stillcrazy - My apologies for not responding sooner. I'm glad that you still checked in, thank you. With regards to the iThrive interview with Dr. Lisle, I'm not aware of any free uploads anywhere. Have you seen the McDougall webinar where he discusses the Cram Circuit? It's also very informative. The next weigh-in is still next Friday, not on Christmas...lol...my joke was just so poorly done that it was easy to make that mistake.

Moonlight - Ha! Great plan.

Yay Sue! Great loss this week. That is a great way to think of things...as a wonderful experiment!

Susan - Stay strong, I know you can do it! Your environment sounds challenging, but your attitude is great and will get you through the holiday. I'm so glad your family is supportive.

veggiesforme - Ha! I think every single one of us here has said or thought the same thing. Why didn't I know about this sooner? I feel lucky to be here now, and thrilled to know there is an answer to reverse lifelong obesity if you're willing to put in a bit of effort to learn and apply the knowledge. I don't just feel lucky, I feel so thankful! A big congratulations of your loss thus far. Keep up the good work. :)

Moonlight - Hi again! It is a tough time of year, so don't be too hard on yourself. You can definitely get this back under control. Thank you for the lovely sentiment...may we all nourish the joy in our lives everyday.

Werner - Oh dear...lol... I hope your finger is healing well. Best wishes for this week.

Anne - Wishing you a joyous week, as well! XO

Chris - Great loss! Merry Christmas.

Goose - I'm glad you're beginning to feel better. I hate winter colds, they just seem to drag on and on. Your holiday meal sounds lovely, and even more lovely is that you have someone who will enjoy it with you. Have a wonderful Christmas.

petmomful - Ah well, a healthy and adherent faux cheesecake every once in a blue moon is a delightful treat. :) Thank you for sharing your experience, it has me thinking I may not make Mary's French toast on Christmas morning, because if I'm the only one who eats it, I may end up with way more than 1 feast meal too (like you, I need to eat MWL to keep the weight loss happening). Food for thought. I'd better think of some fancy MWL breakfast ideas. Hmmm maybe I can adjust this fresh fruit cobbler or apple crisp recipe? Or maybe even a delicious baked rice pudding...substituting the dried fruit for fresh or frozen...
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:03 am

Heya!

Again I have to report a gain of one pound ... :(
but it is at least more than one pound less than a few days ago.

I am getting better at getting back into my workout routine (ddpyoga). Even though I like it, it is a daily fight to get me doing it!

I listen to quite some youtube videos by Dr. Joe Dispenza, that really inspired my for seeking more change in my life.

I am so happy for my Christmas break, my colleague was sick again and I worked 30 over hours the last 5 weeks, alongside with running my practice and seeing clients.

In Germany we celebrate Christmas on the 24th, usually in the afternoon/evening but my family will have a brunch this year. So today I will be in the kitchen preparing the plant based options for this brunch.

Wishing a great Christmas to those of you who celebrate it!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program