Why has weight loss stopped?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why has weight loss stopped?

Postby tejloro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 am

I'm doing a Mary's Mini... Everything was fine until about day five and then all weight loss just stopped... Haven't lost an ounce in a week (in fact, I've gained just a bit).

Insight? Advice?

Taylor
tejloro

Re: Why has weight loss stopped?

Postby rickfm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 pm

How close are you to normal weight? How much are you eating in a day? Are you varying any at all from Mary's mini? Have you been exercising at all and possibly increased some lean muscle mass?

If calories consumed is less than calories burned, weight loss should continue.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby tejloro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 am

I've been eating 2 or 3 potatoes (and not overly big ones) per day along with some broccoli and salad. That's it! I drink only water and occasionally some hot tea. I'm nowhere near my ideal weight yet (still about 40-50 lbs to go). I've actually gained weight this last week. This is infuriating... As far as exercise is concerned, I might be walking a bit more than usual, but that's all.
tejloro

Postby rickfm » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Well, I'm no expert at this stuff, in fact, just getting back into this WOE, myself. But I have had success in the past and when I follow the guidelines, I lose weight.

Are you using any toppings on the potatoes, any salad dressing? You may just have a really low caloric requirement. Maybe try replacing a potato with more broccoli? Try bulking up meals with more leafy greens?

All I can think of to say is stick with it. Give it another week and see what happens.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Kevtrane » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 pm

I am certainly not an expert but from what you describe, you may not be eating enough food. I am not totally familiar with Mary's Mini but I know Dr. McDougall wants people to eat a lot of food. Your body could be going into starvation mode and hanging onto it's calories thinking that a time of famine is coming. If you add up the calories in 3 potatoes, some broccoli and salad it's about 600 calories. I forget where he say's it but McDougall has said "The more you eat the more you lose". I would try to up your intake for a few days and see if weightloss starts again. JMHO
Kevtrane

Postby Mike Deadmonton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 pm

I am doing some experimentation. I decided I wanted salt on my now almost 100 % potato diet. I did use a large amount of salt, but it was very depressing to see weight creep up 3 pounds in 1 week. Next week, looks great when you drink lots of water and flush the salt out to loose 5 pounds.

A few months ago, I was eating lots of rice - with lots of sugary sweet chili pepper sauce or mango curry. Weight stayed the same.

Did some math and found you can eat 5 pounds of plain potato for 1800 calories - but needs to be plain and I now know how salt can make things look bad.

Think I am down about 15 pounds, probably 5 from water and 10 from fat. I think I started the high potato diet about 1 mth ago.

Just wanted to share my salt observations and note that sugar can do the same sort of thing as far as water gain.
Mike Deadmonton

Postby jetjock » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:44 am

I am 70 years old. My wife and I have been WFPB for 19 months. I weighed 263 when I began. Lost down to 229. Then gained some in the later part of the first year to 239. Have been hovering in the 230s for about 9 months. BUT, my HEALTH ... wow! BP down to 128/68; cholesterol down below 140; trigs down to 130; sugar down to 105; more energy than I had 25 years ago. I am satisfied with SLOOOOW weight loss as long as all my chemistry has returned to the numbers I had 40 years ago. We listen to Dr. McDougall and the doctors and experts he recommends which helps us adjust food intake and become informed of all the issues concerning eating animal products as new information becomes available LIKE: eating rice from Calif to minimize arsenic; drink FIJI water to flush out aluminum; getting my test for colon cancer by using COLOGARD DNA test to minimize risk of injury from having a tv camera pushed through my colon; taking B-12 supplement every week; how to order food when eating out; the unsustainability of the animal consumption in the world and all the environmental harm that that industry is doing; the information on this website is like a library for your health. IF you can block out the FAKE NEWS sponsored by the people who profit from animal products, you can regain your health and enjoy the years you have remaining WITHOUT getting trapped in the medical-merry-go-round. LOVE Dr McDougall, he has helped millions of people with his books and this website. :-)
jetjock

Postby landog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm

tejloro wrote:I'm doing a Mary's Mini... Everything was fine until about day five and then all weight loss just stopped... Haven't lost an ounce in a week (in fact, I've gained just a bit).

Insight? Advice?

Taylor

Hi Taylor,

Some questions...

How long have you been following the McDougall Program? How much weight have you lost in that time frame? How much weight do you want to lose to reach your goal? Are you following the MWL guidelines 100%? Do you understand the principles of calorie density and eat only low calorie dense foods?

Not losing in a week of following an MWL plan is not unusual. If you are concerned about the weight loss rate over a larger timeframe, then it's time to examine carefully your understanding and adherence to the MWL plan.

If you can answer some of the questions above, it could be helpful in formulating suggestions.

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby landog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Kevtrane wrote:Your body could be going into starvation mode and hanging onto it's calories thinking that a time of famine is coming.

Please review this thread regarding "starvation mode:"

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11464
landog

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program