3 questions

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

3 questions

Postby happyartist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:59 am

Hi :-)
Since 8 months I'm following the principles of the Starch Solution and I'm very very happy with it!!
Still I have 3 main questions:
1) why to loose weight faster shall I avoid flour? I like backing my own bread for instance with corn and rice flour and I see they are both fat free...
2) why to loose weight shall I avoid fresh fruits as they are also fat free?
3) being beer fat free, can one drink as much as one wants?! I drink alcohol pretty rarely, but I'm curious to know if when I enjoy a beer I'm transgressing to the diet or not!
Many thanks in advance for your answers :-)
Elena
happyartist

Re: 3 questions

Postby Katydid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 am

happyartist wrote:Hi :-)
Since 8 months I'm following the principles of the Starch Solution and I'm very very happy with it!!
Still I have 3 main questions:
1) why to loose weight faster shall I avoid flour? I like backing my own bread for instance with corn and rice flour and I see they are both fat free...
2) why to loose weight shall I avoid fresh fruits as they are also fat free?
3) being beer fat free, can one drink as much as one wants?! I drink alcohol pretty rarely, but I'm curious to know if when I enjoy a beer I'm transgressing to the diet or not!
Many thanks in advance for your answers :-)
Elena

First off, I recommend you read Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight-Loss book. It will go into depth about some of the questions you are asking. But here are my answers:
1. Why avoid flour. It all has to do with calorie density. We all eat a certain weight and volume of food every day in order to feel satisfied. When you process wheat berries into flour or corn into meal you increase its calorie density. You also remove fiber, water and, by changing the particle size, change how the starches in the food affect your blood sugar. Long story short, you can eat a lot more calories of bread than you can of wheat berries without feeling any more satiated. Here is an explain action by Jeff Novick on calorie density:

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ition.html

2. Fresh fruit is an excellent food and low in fat and calorie density. But there are a couple of issues to be aware of. First, the sugar in fruit can trigger what Dr. Doug Lisle calls the "pleasure trap". Sugar was such a rare treat in days when fruit was a very seasonal thing, that our survival instinct is to eat as much as possible whenever the opportunity arrives. So it's easy to overeat fruit. By focusing on starch instead of sugar, you can break out of the pleasure trap and enjoy food without overstimulating the brain. Second, in some people, too much fruit will raise your cholesterol. The fruit is naturally high in the sugar fructose. Fructose cannot be converted to glycogen and stored in muscles like glucose. The molecule is the wrong shape. Fructose must be converted to glycogen in the liver. The capacity of the liver to store glycogen is much smaller than your muscles. So when the liver gets saturated with glycogen, it dumps it back into your bloodstream as triglycerides- which contribute to your total cholesterol.

3. Leaving aside the fact that alcohol is a poison, it is basically empty calories. It does not contain any fiber and is not satiating. It damages your liver, and does exactly the same thing as too much fruit - the alcohol sugars get converted to triglycerides and raises your cholesterol.

The McDougall program is so much more than a "low-fat diet". The guidelines are intended to be "health supporting". Which includes so much more. Dr. McDougall has an excellent series of short videos that explain the different aspects of diet and health: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... s-moments/

Hope this helps.
Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby frozenveg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:03 am

Kate did a great job answering your questions! I just want to add another comment about the beer. Alcohol of any sort (again, besides the fact that it's a poison!) stimulates the appetite for most people, and loosens your self-control, so it packs a double punch for someone trying to lose weight. It adds its own empty calories, and often pushes you to consume more calories in the form of other food, so it's a good thing to avoid or many reasons.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby veliboic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:17 am

Also, fat is calorically dense because there are 9 calories in a gram, whereas there are only 4 calories in a gram of protein or carbohydrate. Alcohol is more akin to fat because it has 7 calories per gram.
veliboic

Postby happyartist » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:21 am

Many many thanks for your very kind answers :-)
With love,
Elena
happyartist

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:58 am

I just wanted to add that it's a good idea to review the guidelines every once in a while:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620

especially since the MWL program is not the same as the regular McDougall program. We have to be a little more careful and strict for maximum weight loss.
Lesliec1

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 am

In addition to the issues of calorie density and satiety, the foods mentioned raise insulin levels quote high, with alcohol being the worst in that respect. With insulin high, the body will store fat, not burn it. McDougall has a good discussion of alcohol (and flour) in the MWL book. In essence, alcohol does not turn into fat, so won't make you fat, but it prevents weight loss, and in the context of a typical diet, encourages fat storage.
vgpedlr

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program